How to break it to my young children we are not JWs anymore?

by ithinkisee 45 Replies latest members private

• scotsman
    scotsman

I don't have kids but I imagine relocating will be a bigger deal to them than stopping going to meetings. When you move you can tell them that you don't have to go to the KH anymore and take it from there. If they ask questions, answer them honestly.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

I had a little bit different experience than some of the others who've posted here. My daughter had a difficult time leaving it. She was 6 when I stopped going and her dad was in it for at least another year and a half after that. She wanted to continue going to meetings/field service with her grandmother until she was almost ten.

I think part of her reluctance to quit was because she thought I was going to die at Armageddon and she wanted to save me. A kind sister also told my daughter that if I died, I wouldn't be resurrected. So maybe point out to your children up front (sorry if this has been suggested already) that you no longer believe that God will kill 99% of all humans at Armageddon.

Another suggestion: start skipping meetings now. On a meeting night, tell your kids that you and mom don't really feel like going tonight and then ask them if they want to go or stay home. It's a rare child indeed who will choose a meeting over just about anything else.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Thanks for that hemp_lover.

Someone posted a good response to that onetime. I remember reading it here on JWD, they said something like:

"Armageddon is make-believe, just like Santa Claus - only Santa Claus doesn't murder billions of innocent people."

I thought that was a nice comparison younger ones could grasp.

-ithinkisee

• Preston
    Preston

How to break it to the kiddies? hmmmm...lemme think on this one... OH, I got it!

- "Kids, we have some very sad news for you, the easter bunny, Santa Claus, and Jack PumpkinHead have all conspired together and have kidnapped Jehovah!"

- "Whhaaaaaa?!?! but, but, but...we were told that they weren't real!!!"

- "We know..we know....we're just as surprised as you are..it hurt us when the guy on the TV mentioned the note they received from a volcano.....on an island.....in the middle of nowehere...erm....on a distant planet....in another galaxy"

- "Whhaaaaaa?!?! but, but, but...what will we do now!!!"

- "Well kids, we know how bad this must make you feel so you mom (or dad) and I were thinking about distracting you kids...for the time being of course... with exchanging presents, eating chocolate eggs, and looking for candy...I mean...Sheesh..I know that will never replace our worship for Jehovah but...hmmmmm...didn't he also want us to spend an 8 hour day in service this Saturday? Jeez, guess you kids will have to think about what's happening while watching cartoons that day...not to mention all those contributions we'll have to utilize for your college funds one of these days....sad..really....NOW....WHO WANTS ICE CREAM!!!!!"

- Preston (of the "Dr. Phil can Kiss my Ass" Class)

• upside/down
    upside/down
    of the "Dr. Phil can Kiss my Ass" Class

right after he's done kissin mine!

u/d

• bebu
    bebu

WOW, such great news ITIS!! Like watching a train coming down the tracks, it really arrived at the station!

My thoughts about kids and the holidays... remember the pinata article from the WT? Use the reasoning they present there, and expand upon it. It's decent enough reasoning, but the WTS doesn't apply it consistently. There are passages in the Bible that talk about whether people celebrate a holiday (or not), we are not to judge them; God can understand the motives.

I do look forward to being introduced to your wife here. I'll bet that she will appreciate the support... now that she's done reading a bunch and made a decision. Maybe your next topic will be, "How to break it to my wife that I've been an apostate on JWD for a time, times, and half a time?"

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit