What's the most exotic food you've ever eaten?

by Dimples 58 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Do you eat hamsters as well?

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I tried this dish once, it was called Sum Yung Gui ,,, very tasty.

Tal - haha, wow that sounds mouth watering!

• talesin
    talesin

Frannie,

Around these parts we call them "Prairie Oysters" (remember that band?).

Re, the lobster blood. Wow, crustaceans have something resembling 'blood', but being an arthropod, it is not entirely the same as 'blood' found in mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians (ie, if you cut them, they do not 'bleed'). It was really interesting to research that, and thanks for expanding my horizons. Having grown up the daughter of a former lobster fisherman, I was quite familiar with lobsters, and I guess I thought I 'knew it all'. My comment was directed more at the 'alcohol' part, which seems very unlikely ... I could find no reference to it anywhere on the net, and would really be interested to see if there's any info out there. In retrospect, the comment could have been phrased much more appropriately. Sorry for being such a smart-ass! I would be interested to know if there really is lobster blood liquor, that would be amazing. I've been wrong thousands of times in my life, but would rather know it's true and admit I'm wrong, than stay ignorant.

Oh, I've eaten crow (see above), and it doesn't taste all that bad.

t

• talesin
    talesin

lol @ mis.

t /

• hubert
    hubert

Oh, and I can also down 2 or 3 small raw quahaugs (spelling)? ei: little knecks, cherry stones.

Can't usually do more than 3.

As for raw sea snails, Tal, I don't know how your Dad could do it.

Hubert

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

• Alligator
    • Octopus
    • Guga a bird should not taste like a fish!
  • ballistic
    ballistic

I've eaten octopus LT, and what really freaks me out is they have an eye as complex as the human's eye. When you look into a living Octopuss' eye, it looks almost human. It really freaks me out. Eating it is just... "squiggy"

• bebu
    bebu

Sushi, octopus, squid, shark fin, snails, tripe, kidney...

When I was in Japan a student of mine took me to a "real" Japanese sushi bar (her words). She bought me some really expensive sushi and then some other oddities, which I felt obliged to eat even though it was so repulsive. The easiest to eat was called "odori", raw shrimp freshly killed so that their nerves still jump. The worst was a huge grilled prawn.. in the shell. I don't know how I choked down the legs. It was horrible!! Then, the chef served us up a plate of these same prawns' grilled heads... and I just couldn't do it. I watched my student pop them in her mouth and demonstrate how easy they were to eat, after all...

bebu

• talesin
    talesin

quahaugs

Oh, they make me soooo ill! (not sure of the sp either lol) Just thinking about it ....

Yah, Hubert, like I said, I think dad loves the shock value. Though he does say he likes them, he always smirks when folks say "EWW" ,,, hehehe, he is still a kid at heart. I must get that quality from him. ;)

LT, Ball.

I've had octopus, but only from the can (again, complements of dad). It was quite gritty, and I didn't care for having it packed in oil. blech

One of the 'delicacies' that is quite a common food in Newfoundland is squid. Thus, the famous "Squid Jiggin' Grounds" song. Fresh squid is really good, and Newfie style is different from0 calamari style. You slowly brown salt pork strips in the pan, then when they are almost done (crispy), add sliced squid and onions, and 5 minutes later ,,, yum!!! Those Newfies really know how to cook their squid, it's much better than some of the calamari I've had at fancy restaurants.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit