Genetics

Analytical Chemistry

Sales & Marketing

Or search all of our jobs and opportunities

The World's No.1 Science & Technology News Service

Record ice core gives fair forecast
    18:00 09 June 04
    NewScientist.com news service

As long as humans do not mess it up, the Earth's climate is set at fair for the next 15,000 years. That is according to information extracted from the oldest ice core ever drilled.

The Antarctic core is the first to reach as far back as a warm period with characteristics similar to our own interglacial. So it should help make more accurate predictions about when to expect the next deep freeze.

The ice core, drilled from a feature in central Antarctica called Dome C, is around 3 kilometres long and 10 centimetres wide. Changes in the relative proportions of hydrogen isotopes in the ice layers allow scientists to compile a complete record of Antarctic temperatures going back 740,000 years.

The core shows the waxing and waning of eight ice ages. Most critically for making predictions about our climate, it is the first core to record a period known as Termination V, around 430,000 years ago.

Warming pattern

At this point, the world moved from a glacial period into a long, warm interglacial, similar to this era. The previous longest ice-core record, drilled by the Soviet Union at Vostok in Antarctica between 1980 and 1988, went back only 420,000 years.

"All interglacials are slightly different, but we believe Termination V is the most similar to our own," says chief author of the new study, Eric Wolff, at the British Antarctic Survey in Cambridge, UK. It mirrors the pattern of solar warming between seasons and at different latitudes that are caused by fluctuations in the Earth's orbit known as the Milankovitch cycles.

It shows that the Termination V interglacial was unusually long, lasting 28,000 years. The current interglacial is now 12,000 years old, and some scientists feared that we might be heading for an ice age soon since at least one post-Termination V interglacial lasted just 10,000 years.

But the new findings suggest that even without the human hand in global warming, a new ice age would be unlikely for perhaps another 15,000 years, Wolff says.

Ice blanket

The core also sheds light on how ice ages have changed over the past million years. Since Termination V, ice ages have been very intense, with periods of cold weather that blanketed much of the northern hemisphere in ice for 80,000 years punctuated by short interglacials lasting typically 20,000 years.

Subscribe to New Scientist for more news and features

Related Stories

Scientists stirred to ridicule ice age claims
    15 April 2004
    Plankton may protect Earth from icy fate
    31 October 2003
    Oldest ever ice core promises climate revelations
    8 September 2003
    For more related stories
    search the print edition Archive

Weblinks

Eric Wolff, British Antarctic Survey
    European Project for Ice Coring in Antarctica
    Nature

But the new core shows that, prior to Termination V, the cold and warm periods of the glacial cycle each lasted around 50,000 years but were much less intense.

"Marine deposits suggested some of this, but it stands out much more clearly in the ice record," Wolff says.

Meanwhile, European and US scientists are discussing plans to survey for a site in Antarctica that will extend the record still further. "We want to go back at least 1.2 million years next time," Wolff says. "But we have to find somewhere that we can do it."

Journal reference: Nature (vol 429, p 623)

Fred Pearce

Save 79%
    51 issues for only $51
    First Name
    Last Name
    Address
    City
    State
    Zip
    USA
    Email
    If you are not from the US click here

For what's in New Scientist magazine this week see Print Edition
    Search the Archive for more stories like this, originally published in the Print Edition
    Subscribe to New Scientist Print Edition
    Contact us about this story
    Subscribe Now and save 79%
    About newscientist.comSubscribeContact UsFAQMedia InformationDisclaimerTerms and ConditionsSite MapCookiesPrivacy Policy © Copyright Reed Business Information Ltd.

Robotic rock-climber takes its first steps

Quark experiment predicts heavier Higgs

Gene may predict killer prostate cancers

Rising damp delays speed record attempt

Locusts swarms may spiral into plague

All latest news

Subscribe to New Scientist Magazine
    Subscribe
    Renew
    Change address

Best live jobs in the hottest areas of sciences

Cell Biology

Software Engineering

Genetics

Analytical Chemistry

Sales & Marketing

Or search all of our jobs and opportunities

The World's No.1 Science & Technology News Service

18:00 09 June 04
    NewScientist.com news service

As long as humans do not mess it up, the Earth's climate is set at fair for the next 15,000 years. That is according to information extracted from the oldest ice core ever drilled.

The Antarctic core is the first to reach as far back as a warm period with characteristics similar to our own interglacial. So it should help make more accurate predictions about when to expect the next deep freeze.

The ice core, drilled from a feature in central Antarctica called Dome C, is around 3 kilometres long and 10 centimetres wide. Changes in the relative proportions of hydrogen isotopes in the ice layers allow scientists to compile a complete record of Antarctic temperatures going back 740,000 years.

The core shows the waxing and waning of eight ice ages. Most critically for making predictions about our climate, it is the first core to record a period known as Termination V, around 430,000 years ago.

Warming pattern

At this point, the world moved from a glacial period into a long, warm interglacial, similar to this era. The previous longest ice-core record, drilled by the Soviet Union at Vostok in Antarctica between 1980 and 1988, went back only 420,000 years.

"All interglacials are slightly different, but we believe Termination V is the most similar to our own," says chief author of the new study, Eric Wolff, at the British Antarctic Survey in Cambridge, UK. It mirrors the pattern of solar warming between seasons and at different latitudes that are caused by fluctuations in the Earth's orbit known as the Milankovitch cycles.

It shows that the Termination V interglacial was unusually long, lasting 28,000 years. The current interglacial is now 12,000 years old, and some scientists feared that we might be heading for an ice age soon since at least one post-Termination V interglacial lasted just 10,000 years.

But the new findings suggest that even without the human hand in global warming, a new ice age would be unlikely for perhaps another 15,000 years, Wolff says.

Ice blanket

The core also sheds light on how ice ages have changed over the past million years. Since Termination V, ice ages have been very intense, with periods of cold weather that blanketed much of the northern hemisphere in ice for 80,000 years punctuated by short interglacials lasting typically 20,000 years.

Subscribe to New Scientist for more news and features

Related Stories

Scientists stirred to ridicule ice age claims
    15 April 2004
    Plankton may protect Earth from icy fate
    31 October 2003
    Oldest ever ice core promises climate revelations
    8 September 2003
    For more related stories
    search the print edition Archive

Weblinks

Eric Wolff, British Antarctic Survey
    European Project for Ice Coring in Antarctica
    Nature

But the new core shows that, prior to Termination V, the cold and warm periods of the glacial cycle each lasted around 50,000 years but were much less intense.

"Marine deposits suggested some of this, but it stands out much more clearly in the ice record," Wolff says.

Meanwhile, European and US scientists are discussing plans to survey for a site in Antarctica that will extend the record still further. "We want to go back at least 1.2 million years next time," Wolff says. "But we have to find somewhere that we can do it."

Journal reference: Nature (vol 429, p 623)

Fred Pearce

Save 79%
    51 issues for only $51
    First Name
    Last Name
    Address
    City
    State
    Zip
    USA
    Email
    If you are not from the US click here

For what's in New Scientist magazine this week see Print Edition
    Search the Archive for more stories like this, originally published in the Print Edition
    Subscribe to New Scientist Print Edition
    Contact us about this story
    Subscribe Now and save 79%
    About newscientist.comSubscribeContact UsFAQMedia InformationDisclaimerTerms and ConditionsSite MapCookiesPrivacy Policy © Copyright Reed Business Information Ltd.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Seems to be some doubt here as whether the earth is warming and a lot here seem to be either skeptical or taking a head in the sand approach. I guess none of us are experts on the subject so we need to the research.

Actually, there are two issues here;

1. Is the planet warming?
    2. Is the warming due to human activity, particularly burning of fossil fuels?

For question 1, the answer is a definite yes. The debate surrounds question 2.

For a balanced view of hurricanes, National Geographic had an excellent article on the subject a couple of months ago,

Eyeslice

• skyman
    skyman

Doofday

you said I was full of it the above News article has it plainly stated wasy wording for you.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Bonnie,

My father remembers the year 1934 and so do a lot of people--one of the hottest years on record. There were dust storms throughout the midwest for lack of rain, and the whole country suffered from the intense heat. What caused the problem that year? How long have we been keeping records? How do we know that the weather is much different than, say, 1,000 years ago? Even if it is different, how do we know what the cycles of the earth are over thousands of years? I agree, however, we need to take care of the earth, but I don't think we need to panic.

Hmmmm...you know....I always understood that one of the big factors in creating the whole dust bowl crisis was all the clear clutting that was done in the midwest, and shoddy farming practices AND natural drought. People just didn't think about it...how all the trees and brush being cut away over such a large area could create a dust bowl situation, etc. http://www.usd.edu/anth/epa/dust.html
    Eyeslice....I have to agree with your statement. I don't dispute that "global warming" is something real, but I don't think it can be blamed 100% on humans.
    I think it is important to figure out what things we can change to help lessen the problem. If the farmers in the dust bowl area had been practicing better farm techniques, there still would have been a drought, but it would have never become the severe dust bowl conditions that happened. So, I think it is important for humans across the planet to use that as an important example. We cannot control nature, but we CAN control our own behavior so that what nature dishes out doesn't have to be as harsh....I guess we could even use the recent events in the gulf coast as an example of that as well. And back to the original question....nooo...I doubt very much Bush will change his opinion. I wish he was going to leave office sooner...sigh. Here's the thing though...we cannot change the admin right now...so we should each make sure we are doing what we can personally to not contribute to air pollution, etc....
  • ballistic
    ballistic
    Actually, there are two issues here;

1. Is the planet warming?

2. Is the warming due to human activity, particularly burning of fossil fuels?

This is the crux of the matter. There are in fact 3 questions.

The third question is,

3. If man is responsible for global warming, what is the risk that we are damaging the environment in an irreversbible manner?

This is about risk, the critical element missing from arguments against global warming.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Talesin

Don't get me wrong, I am a Greenie, I just don't feel compelled to subscribe to all of their doctrines.

I am very much against pollution, but I would be hard pressed to describe CO2 as a pollutant. It is the stuff of life.

Us humans only produce a small fraction of the CO2 that is pumped into the atmosphere every year and Georgie knows that too, but even if we were releasing significant amounts, enriching the environment with CO2 speeds up plant growth. Is that such a bad thing when we have hungry people on the planet?

The same goes for global temperatures, look at the lush vegetation in equatorial climates Is that such a bad thing?

The habit some have of denigrating Bush as just looking after big business etc. because of his stance on Kyoto is akin to my wife telling herself that I am 'looking for faults' in JW land so that I can carry on with my 'decadent' lifestyle. It is an excuse not to address the real issues, which are: is it real? is it caused by us? is it bad?

Cheers

Chris

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Subscribing to a doctrine? Climatology is not a religion, and I think it's unfair of you to paint it as such.

And your stating that CO2 is not a pollutant is playing semantics. Is it a pollutant in the sense that it is noxious in some form? Of course not. It is a pollutant in that it has heat trapping qualities and therefore contributes to global warming.

And the "small amount" that human activity adds to the total amount of CO2 the earth produces has resulted in a 30% increase of the stuff in the atmosphere since the start of the industrial age.

• Forscher
    Forscher

"And the "small amount" that human activity adds to the total amount of CO2 the earth produces has resulted in a 30% increase of the stuff in the atmosphere since the start of the industrial age." Intresting point Dan the man. Which brings us to the futility of blaming Katrina on Bush's not following the Kyoto protocols. Even if Bush had followed it through, there is no way that reducing our emissions of CO2 would've prevented Katrina. It took a long time to get where we are, it would take an even longer time to have any real effect if we did change things. And that assumes that Human efforts are the problem/solution. On principle, I am one "right-wing Bible-thumping fundamentalist" who thinks we should make a real effort to reduce our use of hydrocarbon based fuels. From my point of view, we were placed in a stewardship of the earth and have been doing a mighty poor job of it. In the long term we would be better off if we kept that stewardship in mind and quit fouling our nest. But wrecking our economy is not the way to go about it. It took a while to build our economy, and it is going to take awhile to make the neede3d changes. We need to insist on viable alternative and use them when they become availble. It can be done. Forscher

• talesin
    talesin

Black Sheep,

Yes, I hear you, and there are lots of 'greenies' that agree with you. It's a bit different for me. I live a couple hundred miles from New England, with the pollution wafting over our woodlands, acid rain has killed the fish in our streams, and our forests are all clear cut.

It's an issue that has been argued for decades. We will probably be dead before the verdict is in, which is why I don't criticize others for not believing that we are making a contribution to global warming. After all, the 'proof will be in the pudding', and I doubt that proof will be forthcoming in our lifetimes.

I don't think Kyoto is the primary solution, and I didn't specifically criticize Bush, but all world leaders. They are all in it together, just as we are all stuck with living with their decisions.

It's just one of many environmental issues, and many 'green' folks are divided in their opinions of this one.

tal

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

One has to wonder if the educated naysayers in the fields of academic climatology and meteorology are the equivalent of our own "Scholar" - knowledgeable in their field of study but for whatever reason having a deep, bizarre hostility towards the opinions of the established experts.

Global warming is, by-and-large, not a hotly debated among the mainstream of scientists that have spent their lives studying these issues.

I think that some ex-jw's become cultishly anti-mainstream, ascribing WTS qualities to imagined monolithic entities (such as "Greenies"). It's one thing to say that you wonder how much it is really happening or how much humans contribute to it, but what I detect more often among the naysayers is a sneering, "Scholar"-ish contempt towards the opinions of experts who are sounding the alarm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit