We Have Wonderful People Here

by Sparkplug 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

"Wonderful" is a good adjective. Let's not forget compassionate, caring, warm and loving too.

You all totally rock!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

And Amen.

• hubert
    hubert

What a heartwarming story!

You guys rock !!!!!!!

Hubert

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Wow. I missed this thread originally. When I found Dooty's (actually Doo-da's) mom, I told her if she didn't come up quick to take her baby, she was gonna have a fight on her hands. Between Mozz, Six, Sparky and I, we were gonna have a leg-wrestling match over who got to keep the little girl. LOL! She was a doll baby to say the least. And smart! Smart as a whip. My MIL gave us a little hand carved children's bench, which we donated to Dooda. When we went to visit a few days later, she pulled Mozz across the room by his hand and MADE him sit down and color with her. You can tell she's used to lots of love...she loved to hug and kiss and be loved on. When you held her, if you tried to put her down, she'd latch her little legs around your waist and wouldn't let go. LOL. I miss that little kiddo. But at least she's with her momma and daddy again down in Beaumont, where she belongs.

The other sad story behind this, is Dooda is the third child her momma has had. Her first two daughters (still little) died in a fire in 2002 in New Orleans, the year before Dooda was born. Can you imagine? Having lost two children to a fire and then not know where your baby is at during an evacuation process like this? When I finally talked to the mom, she was in hysterics knowing her baby was okay. It broke my heart.

I actually just spoke to the couple about an hour ago. They're doing okay for now. There was a job fair at their apartment complex and they applied for a couple jobs today. They don't have the baby anymore, so it'll be easier for her to get a job. They're still having a hard time emotionally I think...she was real teary on the phone. FEMA said it will take them 5 - 6 weeks before they get their emergency aid check cut, so they're stressing about lack of funds. The couple is finding that a lot of people don't want to hire evacuees as they have no ID or SS# to do a check on. Sad. I wish I could help more, but this one is a little out of my league and financial pocket. We take groceries when we can, but I can only imagine the depression I'd be in.

Keep them and all the other evacuees in your thoughts. (Marla, Dee, Bryan, Bigboi and thousands of others we don't know.) Even if their immediate needs are covered, there is still a lot of recuperation financially and emotionally, that needs to take place.

• Chia
    Chia

That is so sad that she lost two children before. My goodness, I can't imagine the pain. You guys have done a wonderful thing.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

awesome

• prophesariah
    prophesariah

I second that Chia.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I went and saw them last Sunday...I think, my days are running together. Well they seemed as good as you can expect. They were going to the arena to get hooked up with medical and check on the FEMA check. I could not take them there, but I left bus money.

I cant just hand it over either and I felt a bit lame for only doing that. I also realized that right now except that I own and have work...there is just a few steps from being in their shoes. So I think at age 18 and 26, that they will be just fine.

And you all that are being so sweet: There are so many more who have done so much more than this. I work with people who have taken all of the relatives and the schools in the area are packed with families. One lady I work with takes supper everyday to a few families. She has commited to this for three months.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Sparky,

I was 19 when my dad tossed me to the streets. I had a bed, a few boxes of clothes, and a car. Other than that, I had nothing. (I realize that's a lot compared to M*** and E****, but when you're 19 and everything has been taken care of for you, it's a scary place to be.) A few of my coworkers let me crash on their sofas for several months until I got back on my feet. Several MONTHS. I honestly cannot thank them enough, ever, for what they did for me. I would literally be dead from suicide if it weren't for them. And my father hated the fact that I was getting so much love from "worldly" people. *shaking head* You'd think he'd see it and soften, but no...had the opposite affect.

It really is scary when you think about it. Many of us are just one paycheck away from being there ourselves. It doesn't take much to devastate a life. With all the crap going on in my life lately, these situations still have a way of putting stuff in perspective, yanno? I'm pretty damn blessed when I really think about it.

Andi

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    I was 19 when my dad tossed me to the streets. I had a bed, a few boxes of clothes, and a car. Other than that, I had nothing. (I realize that's a lot compared to M*** and E****, but when you're 19 and everything has been taken care of for you, it's a scary place to be.)

Wow. I guess I dont worry for them too much because I forget that kids are not made to leave home so early. I left at 14. Worked two

jobs. Did schoolwork thru the mail. Rode my bike to both jobs and still tried to go to meetings and keep up time with my pioneer

sisters. They let me live with them, but I had to pay a third of everything. That did not last too long. At almost 17 I convinced someone to

let me an apartment. Where I sat on my off hours in the dark so I would not run up the electric bill.

So there are times when I see people struggle while young and I forget that it might be hard. I always have to ease up on my kids

also. I see my son and I have to remind myself that I have not raised them as independant as I was raised, and not to be so hard on him.

I push myself hard but I am constantly aware that I need not let that allow me to push them too hard. But by his age I had been gone for

a year. So from a little bit of a different perspective I can see how maybe I need not be too hard on them. M*** and E**** that is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit