the idiot mayor of New Orleans

by MegaDude 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Carol
    Carol

It seems to me the National Weather Service and every weather forecaster I've listened to since Katrina was first a tropical depression forcasted it would hit South Florida (11 dead) go across the tip of the state into the Gulf of Mexico and turn, gather strength and hit New Orleans head on.......what did everyone not understand?

I realize the mayor needed federal help prior to the storm hitting land, which he did not get (maybe because he didn't ask for it ???), but the man gave out a list of shelters that would take care of the sick, elderly and poor and then he said no they would not be open, everyone should go to the arena and the convention center and oh yeh! take enough food, water and personal supplies for at least three days......'cause we won't supply them. Then he leaves town for Baton Rouge. So all of these people show up, there's really no one in charge at either place and nothing is done after the lights go out, the roof comes off and people are hungry and dying.

Then the Mayor comes back to town......sets up his command post in the Hyatt, which up to that point had been housing a lot of stranded foreign tourists (which by the way, he had picked up by buses and taken to Houston and instead of waiting in line like all of the other evacuees that had been in the arena for 4 days, requested that these tourists be put at the front of the line.......what's wrong with this picture?????

New Orleans did a disaster evaluation last year and the local and state politicians knew they had major problems..... so maybe they should have concentrated on an emergancy plan that would have saved lives and the mental as well as physical health of some of their less fortunate citizens. Maybe as these poor evacuees check into their shelter homes for the next month, they should be given voters registration cards....????

Don't get me wrong, I don't like George W.....don't agree with the war (but whole heartedly support our troops) and am furious with the gas prices, but...having lived through 3 hurricanes in 6 weeks last year, I realize it takes FEMA and the other Federal Agencies 4 to 7 days to get set up....that's why our County and City leaders set up shelters and make evacuation plans ahead of time, 'cause Mr. Bush is busy fighting a war to get back at that nasty old man that threatened his Daddy.

I made the offer before and I'll make it again....anyone of the frineds on the JWD Forum or their relatives are more than welcome to come stay with my daughter and I here in Florida....bring your kids, pets, relatives and come on down....we're 2 blocks from the Elementary and Jr. High Schools and we have a new High School about 2 miles from us.....there's hot and cold water, a/c, beds and clean sheets and the refrigerator is always full, stay as long as you need or want to, all I ask is that you don't preach to me and don't drink the last can of Coke in refrigerator.

• Mary
    Mary

There's going to be lots of finger pointing for years on this one. I think the local government should have done more to evacuate the people. What about all the trains in New Orleans? All the people that were too poor to leave, I would have packed on there like sardines and sent 'em west to Texas, drop them off and come back for another load.

Plus, I saw on CNN the highways out of New Orleans before the Hurricane hit---naturally all the highways going out of the city were clogged, while the highways into the city were bare. They should have made all the highways in New Orleans an exit route, to help the evacuation move faster.

While it seems that help is now getting there, I think the Federal Government should have had the rescue operation all set up in place in Texas and Arizona and other nearby States, so that the second the storm was over, they could move in............I mean, this is a thousand times worse than when a hurricane hits Florida.....they knew that New Orleans is below sea level and that it was going to be a horrible disaster...........why didn't they have everything set up in place beforehand?

On the other hand, I hope they get those rotten little shits that are going around the city shooting people just for the fun of it.......they even were shooting at a helicopter that was trying to rescue people!!

All in all, I think the response could have been better planned.....they should have done something years ago to prevent this from happening......but like the Titanic, it's takes a major frigging disaster before the bureaucrats sit up and take notice.

• juni
    juni

There are a lot of idiots in this whole mess!!!! O.k. NOW. Why did the Mayor of NO send these people to the Super Dome in the first place??!! He had to have known like the top guy of the Army Corp. of Engineers said earlier that "the levees were known to have been built only to handle at the most a level 3 hurricane". Why would he send people to the Super Dome which was right there in the thick of it? It would be like telling people to take the elevator in the event of a fire and don't use the stairs!!!

And still tonight there are thousands still there at the Super Dome!!!! There should be no one there!! Homeland Security was set up to help prevent tragedies w/ terrorists. FEMA was set up to have the aid in place in case of emergencies. Both have failed miserably. Bush and the rest can watch the Weather Channel. They knew what was coming. Bush on vacation and Congress on summer break. Why did they have to come together to vote on monetary aid which only delayed the immediate needs? YOU'D THINK THEY WOULD LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES. GOVERNMENT BUREAUCRACY AT ITS FINEST!! Too many people not knowing what the other is doing and in the mean time picking their noses. And then Mrs. Bush saying that, "we must get the children in school." Yeah right. What doesn't she get??

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

The mayor is utterly useless, he was useless before the hurricane, during the hurricane and after the hurricane, he's still useless. The mayor sent buses to the Hyatt Regency to pull tourists out today while people were still sitting on overpasses with nothing.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Friday, September 2nd, 2005 Dear Mr. Bush:
    Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.
    Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?
    Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!
    I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this --- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?
    And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them --- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!
    On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.
    There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.
    No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing --- NOTHING --- to do with this!
    You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit. Yours, Michael Moore

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

Oh wow! Michael Moore has spoken! Now we plumb the depths of true idiocy.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'm not accusing anyone, but I think a person has a much more legitimate cause for complaint if he or she is actively trying to help the situation firsthand. Numerous churches throughout the southern US are sending buses with supplies, bringing back refugees. Help is needed in all towns sorting clothes and preparing shelters/food for the people coming. We can all do things to help. Now is not the time to be bitching and moaning, now is the time for action. When everyone is safe and accounted for, then we can begin bitching and moaning. My $.02 ladies and gentlemen.

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

well said

• bisous
  • CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Thanks for those links. That was great! I knew I liked that man when I heard his interview from last night.

It's good to know that this guy isn't just a business as usual kind of guy. As has been said, I think there's plenty of blame to go around. I do think that the Federal Government really showed a lack of leadership. I for one, was angry today when I thought of how much money was appropriated to Homeland Security, which is the organization that directs FEMA now...and I think "What if this was a terrorist attack? Is this really the best response we can generate? What did all that money get spent for?"

Ern

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit