Smells that evoke memories...

by LittleToe 38 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

And again the Google ads provide unintentional humor...

Vaginal Discharge Possible causes. by Dr. Joe Glickman Jr MDwww.health-science-report.com
    No More Vaginal Odor Natural soap gently kills bacteria. 100% Natural - Free sample!www.SageSoap.com/FreeSample
    Vagina Itching, Burning? How to treat Vaginal infection Detailed help on cause & curewww.info4dumbbells.com
    Sweaty Hands and Feet
  • lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Wrigley's Spearmint gum.

It reminds me of my grandfather since he always chewed some during church service I attended with them while growing up.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Hey LittleToe how are ya? I love this topic,,,,,,,,seems like I read that our sense of smell is the strongest in remembering memories.

I truly believe that to be true. The smell of homemade bisquits reminds me of my Granny , I can close my eyes and be in her kitchen .

When I want to remember my Mama, I spray on her favorite perfume,,,,,,,L'Air du Temps and I can almost feel as if she is standing by me. If I smell Final Net hairspray on some lady in a store, stop in my tracks as it too reminds me of my Mother.

Baby Magic baby lotion reminds me of my babies so clearly when I smell that, I bought some the other day to put on my 10 year old son's head , so I could snuggle him a bit....lol.

• trevor
    trevor

This may not be what Little toe had in mind but when I was young - and I was - my parents took me to London Zoo. It was a hot summer day and they were being nice to me for a change.

As we approached the elephant compound I was hit by a powerful smell. The elephants wee on their hay. The heat causes a unique pungent smell that I found strangely pleasant. But then I am strange.

To this day, if I visit animals that live on hay the smell transports me back to that magical day.

Little did I realize that my parents would do to me what the elephants had done to the hay. Perhaps that is why I treasure the memory and the smell so much.

• integ
    integ

The smell of a truckstop mens rest room reminds of the time I dismembered an Amish couple on their way to South Dakota. I've always kind of regretted that. But hey, we've got to move on.

Integ.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I've enjoyed reading this thread...

Sweat and leather (together)...my grandad worked hard as a rancher, and when he would come in the house at night the first thing he would say was, "Where's the baby?" and he would cradle me and put his hat over my head so that all I could smell was him, and all I could see was the light shining through the grommet holes. My earliest memory and my favorite.

Fresh baked bread and new shoes...those are the fragrances I associate with my mother during my childhood.

Wood smoke, sawdust, fresh-turned soil, Old Spice aftershave, Irish Spring soap...my stepdad who worked in a lumber mill, was a skilled carpenter, and loved to garden. He would wake me up in the middle of the night to see a meteor shower or the aurora borealis.

Linseed Oil and musty painting tools...remind me of the father I never knew who was an artist, a wandering sign painter, and amateur inventor.

The aroma of weak coffee always takes me back to the early conventions when they still served food.

~Merry (wondering how egocentric it would be to say that the scent of wild roses and Earl Grey tea makes me think of......me)

• Englishman
    Englishman

The reason that smells are so evocative of childhood is because our noses were so much nearer (being so much smaller) to everything that does smell. Flowers, chalk, Jeyes Fluid, Manchester, you name it.

Englishman.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Cow dung. I love it.

Seriously, it takes me back to my days in infant and junior school, as there was a farm with lots of cows right next to the schools. Each morning when the wind was right, all we could smell was cow dung.

To this day, if I smell that wonderful scent, I will stop what I am doing, close my eyes, and just enjoy. It's good for ya, you know :)

FMZ

• Mulan
    Mulan

For me it is always coconut oil. It puts me right on a beach in Hawaii.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Despite the ever changing google adds on this thread from odour eaters to vaginal thrush ointments, there really is nothing like the smell of a woman. Maybe it takes a single bloke to point this out, but the smell of the hair, and various perfumes and perculiar bodily lotions is just so... inticing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit