Smells that evoke memories...

by LittleToe 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

The smell of grease on a hot griddle always turns me on.

In my teens and twenties, I worked in restaurants, usually as a cook, sometimes as a waitress. In every restaurant, there was a guy (always a cook, because cooks are sexy) I had a wicked crush on. The guy was always wiry-skinny, had dark hair, usually a few prison tats, and a mean attitude. I used to hang around the line and watch the cook, wreathed in steam and smoke, a cigarette hanging from his lower lip, cussing up a blue streak as he flipped those burgers and plunged the fries in boiling grease. So, to this day, kitchen smells get me a little bajiggety.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The smell of bacon frying

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Happy Clinque' Perfume...reminds me of when I was first married to my husband.

My mothers Avon perfume...I have never smelled it on anyone but her.

Carmel popcorn...my Great Grandma would always bring us carmel popcorn when I was little

So many lovely memories.

Brooke

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

For many people the smell of something familiar often evokes memories. It is fascinating and sometimes disturbing especially when the smell triggers unpleasant memories.

I have many different types of memory that are connected to scent

cod triggers the way my father smelled - I still can't stand that odor

a garage/oil/tires - again associated with my father - makes me feel nausea

sawdust - old meatmarkets - actually like this one

A while back I wrote an article to help people understand the connection between our senses and their ability to trigger memory

http://members.tripod.com/Lee_Hardiman/memory.html

• horrible life
    horrible life
    The smell of a truckstop mens rest room reminds of the time I dismembered an Amish couple on their way to South Dakota. I've always kind of regretted that. But hey, we've got to move on

Integ: you cracked me up!!!!!! I laughed so hard I ......... You are kidding right? HL PS And I love the smell of crayons, just because.

• scotsman
    scotsman

The smell of creosote reminds me of summers at my grandparents. I wanted to lick it off the fence.

The smell of the 1980's perfume Charlie reminds me of my first year primary school teacher.

Charlie reminds me of my great aunt.

My boyfreinds head smells of soil and earth and I love it#

I had a girlfriend that said I smelled of this and I was never sure that it was a compliment.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

in my first year at school my classroom had an open fireplace...(yeah i know!!!!)...anyhoo we used to make tiny little loaves and bake them in it.....every now and then i can smell it...

and davidoff - cool water for women....darent even go there

and convention donuts

good times

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

What great responses!

LOL @ Neon!

This morning I thought of another one. As I was walking out of the house I smelled peat smoke, so someone was evidently using their open fire. It took me right back to my childhood, where we had open fires in the bedrooms. That memory then spiralled out to cutting the peats with the whole village and bunking off with a friend to go wander the bogs.

It has a distinctive smell, quite unlike burning wood. Given that I've lived away from the island for extensive periods of my life, it was always a smell that was part of the home-coming to me

Nostalgia rocks!

• Smiles
    Smiles

KH smell, WT literature smell and the District Convention restroom smell.

Aw, the lovely smells of the Truth, unforgettable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit