Smells that evoke memories...

by LittleToe 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Ok, the smells go along with taste here!

The smell of grilling sausages and cooking omlettes on a sunny Saturday morning! The smell of fresh coffee, knowing I have enough time for a second cup! Why? NO FIELD SERVICE!!!

The smell of a roast on a Sunday afternoon! Anticipation of a nice thick slice smothered with horseradish! Potatoes smothered with gravy! A true sign of a meeting free Sunday!!!

These remind me of my pre-jw days - and I'm living them again!

W

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

Cool Water cologne reminds me of young romance

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Freshly mown grass and wood burning in a pot belly stove....... Waking up to the smell of bacon cooking and coffee perking... and then later in the day we'd pick blueberries, and mom would bake a pie... the smells of summers in Vermont on the top of a mountain in a two hundred year old farmhouse... heaven.

Coffee

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

The smell of the 1980's perfume Charlie reminds me of my first year primary school teacher.

The smell of tobacco on the pages of my Charles dickens collection is precious - it reminds me of my Grandad who gave them to me and sitting on the stairs at his house reading Little Dorrit and the bitter sweet whiff of smoking that happened decades ago.

The scent of a certain acidic vinegar reminds me of my mother ( i hope this is not too much to say, but its personal and lovely to me) - it was the scent of her when I nestled against her shallow breasts as a child at late Thursday night meetings.

My boyfreinds head smells of soil and earth and I love it#

The scent of fermenting windfall red lady apples mixed with honesy suckle reminds me of breaking my leg!

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

I bought me a brand new shiny cricket ball in honour of my fellow countrymen being not shyte at cricket for once, and the smell of that took me right back, to those far off days when I wasn't so shyte at cricket myself.

ig.

• Emma
    Emma

Fresh, perfectly ripe pears remind me of first grade. In our brand-new elementary school, a table was set up in the entrance close to Halloween with pears, apples, donuts, and apple cider. I chose a pear and it was perfection. Every fall I look for those perfect pears; they're hard to find, nothing in the grocery stores comes close. Last week at our local farmers market, a young couple had a table and were selling "heirloom" fruit. I picked up a small pear and it took me back to that day immediately! I bought a small basket and ams savoring a couple every day. Perfect...

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

Schools have a particular smell. Whenever I encounter it, my stomach knots and my soul is flooded with the nightmares of those years of grade school. The smell of #2 pencils and new notebooks in the stationary stores around August also send me into a panic - and normally I love the smell of fresh stationary.

It took months for me to get used to my new apartment because they clean the halls everyday with the same cleaner they use in hotels. Every time I walked in and smelled the cleaner, I had a momentary feeling of being displaced and away from home.

If I actually do stay away from home, the smell of my own pillows is a big comfort.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Cedar, reminds me of a chest of drawers belonging to caty.

• kazar
    kazar

Ingenuous, I have the same problem with school odors. The smell actually makes me anxious. Can't stand it.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The smell of road tar in the summer reminds me of the weekend trips my father and I used to take to Crescent Beach in Connecticut when I was a kid. They were always working on the streets on the way down there (and the Interstate Highway System was not as extensive as it is today, so much of the trip was on country roads). Very fond memories of that beach. We started going there when I was 4, and I think the last time I went I was 17, by myself - my father had found other beaches he liked better and was recently remarried. Besides, I had just become a JW and wasn't spending that much time with family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit