Smells that evoke memories...

by LittleToe 38 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Isn't it funny how certain smells can have a strong effect in evoking distant memories?

I was reminded of this when I just opened my desk drawer. A little earlier today I bought a local newspaper (which is unusual for me) and didn't have time to read it so I stuck it in the drawer. Innocuous enough, you might think.

However, this particular smell of broadsheet and ink reminided me of days-gone-by when fish and chips were wrapped in that kind of paper. We would buy them and then walk down to the harbour, finally discarding anything we couldn't eat for the gulls to fight over and consume (Hebridean "cock-fighting" at it's finest). Nowadays those sweaty polyfoam cartons are all the rage

It's got me all nostalgic. What sets you off?

• onintwo
    onintwo

LT, that's good! I haven't thought about this topic for years and years. But since you brought it up. I remember getting out of bed about 10:00pm when I was about 9 years old. I was smelling the most horrible smell I ever smelled. Came downstairs and my mom and dad were messing with the stove in the kitchen. Mom had dropped a handful of rubberbands onto the burner (electric, I think). The smell of burning rubber never fails to remind me of this. It's etched into my brain.

Car squeals out at a traffic light, and I smell burning rubberbands. Pulley slipping on my tablesaw? Burning rubberbands. It's funny.

Onintwo

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

*sigh* a fluffy thread

My granddad's Old Spice. It smells awful on everyone but him. It reminds of me of his grizzly unshaven face and his head-thrown-back-belly-laugh that always ended with a big sigh. He used to take me fishing, teach me about his garden, how to find wooly-worms on the road in the fall, and how to crack pecans with a nutcracker...yanno...all the necessary things of life. I love my grampa.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

The smell of linseed oil reminds me of my grandad's oil paints, and being anywhere near a brewery takes me back to my dad homebrewing in the kitchen when I was a child.

Fresh cut grass is THE smell of childhood summers.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

There is this perfume called Design that my mother used to wear. I love the smell of it. It reminds me of hugging her. I was interested once in a girl who wore this perfume. I had to stop flirting with her because it reminded me so much of my mother

• horrible life
    horrible life

The smell of perking coffee. Waking up at my beloved grandmothers house in Indiana, during summer vacation. Great memories. HL

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

For me the smell of paint is associated the white (wonder) bread cheese sandwiches. When I was 7, we moved to a new house. I ate those terrible sandwiches while we decorated.

steve

• dh
    dh

the smell of green carpet does it for me (and i know it does it for you too) Mmmmmmm

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

the smell of my mother's perfume ( i can't remember the name) and aquanet hair spray. that smell is so etched into my brain that i can summon it at will. it reminds me of the happier times w/ her,like when i would have a bad day and she'd tell me to come and sit in her lap and i'd lay my head on her shoulder to where the smell of her hairspray and perfume mixed to make a simply wonderful scent.

i love my momma...we just can't get along.

luv, jojo

• Nikita
    Nikita

Moistened towlettes! Every time I use one it takes me back to Moldova-the people, places, experiences. (had to use them in lieu of running water many times) Can't believe it's been 5 years since I was there! Seems like only yesterday.

I'm sure there are more but that's the 1st one that popped into my memory!

Nikita

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit