Anyone been baptised in another religon since leaving the dubs?

by misspeaches 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

First thinngs first, there aren't many religions that insist you get baptised into the "religion".

Most Christian churches accept that you've been baptised once for all time, if you're baptised by any Christian denomination (of which they don't count JWs). Protestant denominations usually accept a Catholic baptism, for example, despite their doctrinal differences. The point is that you're baptised "in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

Baptism was an issue for me. I really felt I should get baptised (as I didn't count the JW one). The first day I went to church I asked about it, and was baptised that month by sprinkling (didn't have to hold my nose ).

Since then I've been to a wide variety of denominations, and I've never been asked about it. It's really pretty much a non-issue to most people. The emphasis is more on a relationship with Christ, rather than when you did this that or the other.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Nah. Didn't see the point. I already dedicated my life and did so based on the pre-1985 standards that I still agree with. I was baptized in 1985, so I just recanted the part about bowing low before an Organization, something not done in any organizational arrangement in the Bible.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• inquirer
    inquirer

I have not been baptised. After the JW's I never want to join another religious organization ever again!

I believe in Jehovah only. But not the trade mark organization, Jehovah's Witnesses.

• mad max
    mad max

I left the jw about 8 years but still believed they weere the "truth" only got announced 5 or so months ago that "I am no longer a jw" so one does not know if you are Dfed. cold, etc etc, as now the WTBTS reliaze that they can be sued.

Anyway in Jan of this year accepeted Jesus into my life WOW what a difference, Christ now lives IN ME. This amazes me because i was not even looking for something and this living acceptance of me from God was even before I REALLY knew what He wanted from me. (remember as a jw, you have to go thru so many questions etc before you get baptised into THEIR religion, and have had to have been on the field for so many months etc etc).

God chooses you, you do not choose God.

Anyway, about baptizim, I dont know if this is spiritual or physical, sometimes feel the need sometimes don't. I am waiting on God to tell me.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

You know, I wonder about this.

It wasn't until I started re-investigating the Org that I really understood the implications of the post-'85 baptismal questions. I was livid at the arrogance of the Org when I saw the two sets of questions used previous to the '85 version.

I made a dedication to Jehovah through prayer more than a year before I was baptized, but I wonder if that was sufficient since it didn't follow the format Jesus gave @ Matthew 28:19. I feel that Jesus' role has been down-played among JWs and that my dedication may not have shown a sufficient appreciation for Christ and the support of God's holy spirit. (Since JWs who make up the "other sheep" don't believe they are baptized with the holy spirit, Jesus' instructions are really inappropriate for them.) I also feel my baptism was tainted by it being used to symbolize a dedication to them. I'm starting to wonder if it was a "real" baptism.

While I've since re-dedicated myself in my heart and through prayer, I'm unclear on what - if anything - I should do about baptism.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Ha. This may come to a surprise since I don't really believe in god.

I was RC as a young kid before becoming JW. My memories of my pre-JW life, including RC practices, are among the happiest of my entire life. I had to call the RCs and be really rude/nasty telling them they are false religion and to remove me from their records in order to get baptized as a dub. I remember all the anti-RC propaganda taught to us and later finding out a lot of it wasn't true.

A few yrs ago I was planning to get married in the RC church (because my husband wanted me to) and being "confirmed" is required. So I went to the priest and asked him to confirm me. That is the one ceremony I didn't get to do as a kid. I went to 3 meetings w/him and told him my religion story & how I'm not sure if god exists. I said I was interested in doing this to give me a sense of closure and also to please my FH. He agreed and I did it with my now husband as my "godfather", LOL.

The priest didn't require me to say any vows so I stood there silently and respectfully as others repeated their verbal affirmations. The church had bought me a corsage, which was nice. They were very welcoming, friendly, and open...not pushy at all. I had holy water put on my forehead on the sign of a cross and carried a lit candle. The priest said a blessing and that was it.

It was actually kind of a cool experience. I do feel a sense of closure and that I've somehow made amends for being rude and anti-RC in my JW borg days.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ingenious:If you consider yourself a Christian, and consider that baptism is a requirement for you, then simply go to a church and ask them about it. They are usually fairly understanding, especially if you relate to them that you've had a bad experience with religion.

Some invite you to a short course on Christian beliefs, some don't. I was simply asked to relate my own feelings about Christ (not in front of the whole congregation, I might add - LOL).

As for whether or not you continue on to become a member of any given denomination or congregation, that's another story again...

Rebel:That's a touching story. I'm really glad you got some closure

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I wouldnt get baptised into another religion. I still feel pretty bad about getting baptised as a JW and then breaking that vow. After all a vows a vow. But then I broke my marriage vow too. So I suppose the only two vows ive ever made infront of god I have trashed.

So for that reason I wouldnt go making any more. I doubt he thinks too much of my track record.

And also Ive had a gut full of religion. Ive O-D'ed on it. I would find it really hard to find a religion I could commit to, to the point of dedicating my life. A bit like I struggle to find any political party I 100% believe in.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

misspeaches,

Personally, I did decide to get baptized again because the only reason I got baptized the first time was to make mom and dad happy. The church I attended at that time said it wasn't necessary, but if I wanted to, they understood. So I got dunked.

Funny thing, you know how everyone is supposed to remember their baptism date? I cannot for the life of me, remember my JW baptism date. But I remember my second (real) baptism date. LOL Go figure.

Since then I've been to a wide variety of denominations, and I've never been asked about it. It's really pretty much a non-issue to most people. The emphasis is more on a relationship with Christ, rather than when you did this that or the other.

My experience has been similar to LTs.

Andi

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Damselfly - Thank you for sharing. I think thats the important thing 'if you truly believe'....

Honesty - Perhaps I phrased my heading wrong... I guess the impression I was trying to get across was has anyone been baptised since leaving the JW's because they have accepted Jesus as their saviour. When I first heard that expression it was all new to me. But I think that it is a much more reason to get valid then the JW reason.

LittleToe - I think I don't count the JW one either. I still have a strong belief in God though and at a point in my life where I am contemplating what to do. I've been associating with a church which I am enjoying thoroughly and I don't think they have a short Q&A session for those interested in baptism. Thinking I may take the time to attend the next one.

OldSoul - I guess when your baptised pre 1985 your vows are more relevant. Thank you for sharing.

Inquirer - I think many can relate not wanting to submit to a religous org again.

MadMax - I really enjoyed reading how you feel Christ lives in you. I think I feel that there is a massive difference to being guilt tripped into 'serving' Jehovah and an organisation then to have the freedom of just accepting Jesus as your saviour. Good luck on your journey.

Ingenous - I am the same. the implications of the vows I took infuriate me. When I read a thread on it at this forum it really upset me. I feel also that Jesus gets a very low ranking by the JW's.

Rebel8 - Closure. I love closure on an issue. Sounds like the experience was interesting and your motivation to do it was a good story too.

KatieKitten - Vows are important. But I guess I feel like I was decieved into my vows. I did my pre baptism questions and it wasn't until the day you realise what questions they are asking you. And then I was so damned embarrassed to get baptised in front of all those people I wasn't concentrating that well.

Billygoat - baptised to please your parents. I think its a common scenario in the dubbies. but yes your relationship with Christ/God is what is of most importance

Thank you everyone for your responses so far. It really has given me food for thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit