Anyone been baptised in another religon since leaving the dubs?

by misspeaches 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I was just wondering if any of you have been baptised into another religon since leaving the JW's.

If you don't mind sharing I would love to know if it was a monumental decision for you to make?

What was your status when you did it? Disphellowshipped? Disassociated? Faded?

How long had you been out of the JW religon when you took the plunge?

Did your latest baptism have more significance to you personally then your JW one?

I hope you don't think my questions are overly personal but it is a subject I am very interested in. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Miss Peaches

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Hi Peaches Nope not me, just in case you were taking a pole on those who haven't as well.

I just saw you and wanted to say hi....

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hi luv!!

Thanx for dropping by my thread... LOL!

Okay well that's one response. Why not make it a poll whilst where at it...! I wouldn't want anyone to feel like I was excluding them!!!

• horrible life
    horrible life

My daughter 14, was baptized several years ago, but was confirmed last month in the Methodist Church. I have been going on and off lately. The lady pastor, was making a big day out of confirming several teenagers, baptising some adults and welcoming new members. She said I should make it a special day for me and daughter, by joining the church. I said I would probably have to be rebaptised. She said once was enough, knowing I used to be a JW, being baptised in the name of the Father Son and Holy Ghost. I said no. Don't believe in Trinity.

Well that sure changed things. She said yes I had to be re baptised. And we would have a long talk. She did try for 30 seconds to convince me the Trinity was right. She said "You and your daughter are the same." I said HUH no we aren't. Well you both have the same DNA, I said no we don't. Well you are kinda the same. I said, we need to sit down and talk, when we both have more time. HL

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Hullo Peaches

I have an aversion to holding my nose and allowing someone else to dunk me in a bath.

Just can't imagine why.

I guess I'm now of the opinion that religious belief is not identified by outward signs. It's more a matter of the mind and emotions and of course spiritual inclination.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

No and I don't think I would.

I am not attending another church at the moment but even if I were, I consider my baptism and dedication to between myself and God and to still be valid. I got baptised before they changed the questions, so I my dedication was to do God's will as directed by the holy spirit - not in recognition that I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Eyeslice

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hi HL (side note I love you avatar it always makes me smile)

Thanks for sharing that with me. That's really interesting about your daughter and your own experience with the Methodist church. I like your reasoning as well that you can't personally get baptised if you don't believe in the Trinity. Once duped by a religon I think you tend to get extra careful... I would be interested to hear the outcome of your discussion if you end up getting to have one with her!

And DoofDaddy (your avatar is new so yeah I'll comment on that too LOL)

thank you for sharing these thoughts -

It's more a matter of the mind and emotions and of course spiritual inclination.
    That's given me food for thought as well...
  • misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hi Eyeslice - see that's what I was wondering about too. I mean if you consider yourself to be Christian and you said yes to the new questions is that a valid Christian baptism? I understand where you are coming from and those are really interesting points.

I think when I was baptised I did it because I was 17 almost 18 and people were expecting it from me. I don't know what my real motivation behind it was now...

• damselfly
    damselfly

hi Misspeaches!!!

I am a bit turned off religion at the moment. So my answer is no. However if I were to get religion in my life and truly believed then yes I would get baptized.

Dams

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Anyone been baptised in another religon since leaving the dubs?

NO.

I was baptised in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit about 2 months after I accepted Christ as my only savior and source of my faith and 3 months after I DA'd myself from the JW cult where I had been baptised into their spirit directed organisation. I will never be baptised in another religion. I became a member of a church after I was baptised in order to comply with Hebrews 10:24, 25 and to engage in real field service but if they deviate from the bible I'm history with them just like I'm history with the WTBTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit