Watchtower relief effort...

by undercover 27 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I Googled some different religion home pages this morning to see how some religions/churches were responding to the disaster on the Gulf Coast.

All the ones that I checked, Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, Presbyterian all made mention of the disaster and had already started some relief efforts. The Cathoic Church has its own relief website, catholicrelief.org where various relief efforts around the world are listed. (One interesting one is that the Catholic Church is teaming with the Mormons to bring food to Niger)

A check of the official WT site and its sister site, the JW media site, makes no mention of the disaster let alone any relief funding or donation arrangements. I know that they will set up some relief efforts but it will be regional JWs who give time, money, materials to fix and repair fellow JW homes and the damaged/destroyed Kingdom Halls.

Is their silence because they wish to allow their actions speak for themselves? Or, is their silence because, quite frankly, they aren't concerned with the non-JWs who are affected by the hurricane/floods? Could it be they are concerned with getting KHs repaired and the local JWs taken care of only(so they can continue to donate time/money back to the org)? Are they more cold-hearted than many of the big corporations who are donating time and money to relief efforts? Is it possible for an organization that claims to follow the footsteps of Jesus and speak for God to be so cold-hearted and uncaring so as to not even mention the victims on their website or in their prayers?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Or, is their silence because, quite frankly, they aren't concerned with the non-JWs who are affected by the hurricane/floods?

You hit that spot on honey!

• JH
    JH

Relief effort??? Forget it. They put emphasis on preaching to strangers, not giving to strangers

The average JW sees this disaster as another sign of the end, as if there never were disasters in the past.

I'm sure the JW's going door to door will use the hurricane story to scare people into joining the Org.

News papers sell more when there are bad news, so do the JW's.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Maybe the WTBTS are doing a massive amount of charity work unbeknownst to the rest of the World. Discreetly. Not boasting of Good Deeds. Maybe.

• carla
    carla

Well, now could be the perfect time for jw's to actually prove they do ANYTHING to help others. Because it is here in the states everything can be verified or not as the case may be. My husband keeps on saying how they 'give tons' of food, etc.. to the starving and poor. Yet when I ask for one shred of evidence he cannot produce any. There is always a paper trail that can be checked. After looking for over two years now, I can't find any. Maybe I'm not checking the right places but at least there should be something! Even personal testimonies. We'll see how they handle this one. carla

• Mulan
    Mulan

I suspect they are doing something, but haven't put it on their website yet.

After the Alaska earthquake back in the 60's, there was a huge relief effort that was channeled through here (Seattle). Our KH was stacked to the ceiling with supplies sent from JW's all over the country................baby clothes, coats, blankets. There was way more than was needed in Alaska, so the KH became a garage sale for a day................free stuff though. Everyone could take what they wanted.

I suppose now they would want the money instead of goods.

• Stealth
    Stealth

The JW response to human suffering, oh well, wait on Jehovah's kingdom to fix it.

This more than anything makes me ashamed that I was ever a JW.

Now I am going to the red cross to make a donation for a good cause that will actually help hurting people. I have a lot of making up to do for the amount of $$ I dumped down the rat hole of a charity called the WTBTS.

• jgnat
    jgnat

New Orleans Congregations:
    http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Jehovah's+Witness+Churches/S-LA/T-New+Orleans/

Congregations around Biloxi:
    http://www.google.ca/local?hl=en&lr=&q=kingdom+halls&near=Biloxi,+MS,+USA&sa=X&oi=localr

Did they cancel Tuesday's book study do you think? You know, no matter how I research the hurricane, the scope of the disaster boggles the mind. At least 23 kingdom halls affected. How many families is that?

• luna2
    luna2

I would read the Watchtower's accounts (or hear stories from the platform) about how trucks were sent into devastated areas (I'm remembering after Hurricane Andrew specifically) and how teams of volunteers swarmed to repair KHs and houses...some that were not even dubs' homes *gasp*! How the National Guard and government agencies were so impressed by how well organized and efficient JWs were. It was made to sound like the JW relief effort was quite impressive, and I believed we were so very awesome and such a fine witness because our fearless leaders said it was so.

Now, not to say that JWs don't send aid, I remember some from our KH going to help and clothes and such being donated, but I could never find any mention of how great God's org's efforts were in any non-WTS news articles or tv reports.

In every way, even in disaster relief, it seems that Witnesses are only legends in their own minds.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    it seems that Witnesses are only legends in their own minds.

As spouted in "their" publications...

u/d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit