"This just can't last much longer...."

by BrendaCloutier 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I went over and visited my parents today. My mom broke her hip while we were in Hawaii, and I've been mostly house/bed ridden myself since we got home. So I finally got over there today.

We talked a little about the hurricane, which was on the news she turned off. She kept saying that "I just can't see how this system can keep on going. It just can't last much longer!"

I responded that it has lasted for the past 30 years since 1975 and I see no reason why it won't go on another 30 or more.

She said something like "well it doesn't matter where you move to, even to Hawaii, it's going to happen there, too". What? I ask, tsunami's, volcanic erruptions, floods, and hurricanes? and she said Yes, and you won't hide from Armageddon either.

I told her "I'm not hiding from Armageddon. I know what Hawaii is capable of and we are happy to move there anyway. We just love it there and want to live in a warm tropical environment and have chosen Hawaii to be our home after much research and discussion."

"Yes, but this old system just can't last any longer". "Yes, Mom, I know what you mean". And I left it at that.

My dad, if this were 10 years ago, would have been involved in the "argument" and be shoving the dogma on me and I'd be arguing with him. But, alas, he is deep in alzheimers and is dying from kidney failure due to 40 years of diabetes.

I wish my dad were still here. I'd love to argue with him knowing now what I've learned here on JWD. It would be spirited debate. He might even have learned something. He was usually willing to admit if he was wrong about something IF you could convincingly point it out to him. But of course he was seldom wrong. He taught me well.

• daystar
    daystar

Yeah, I heard that phrase a lot, 15-30 years ago. It makes me wonder what they mean by "much longer". Freaks...

• Robdar
    Robdar

I wish my dad were still here.

Oh Brenda. That phrase just tore my heart right up. Alzheimers is an awful disease.

(((((Brenda)))))

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

"This system can't last much longer...." seems to be a universal refrain, and yes, we have been hearing it for decades. I really think that deep down, what it means is:

"We have been preaching, and attending meetings and simplifying our lives for so many years.......We have seen our contemporaries die......This wasn't meant to happen to us.....We were supposed to be in Paradise by now.......I never thought I'd get old.......I don't know where we will find the money for the bills soon.....I don't know how I can keep this up for much longer........it has to happen soon...."

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I hear that phrase alot from my mother, in between her crying jags about how I won't be there with her in the new system and how sad that will be. Sometimes I feel like a real rat for making her so sad, I have even thought of lying and telling her I went back to the hall etc. just to ease her mind. She's 84 and probably doesn't have all that much time left, I know it tears her up to think her youngest won't be there with all the rest.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yeah, I hear that a lot from my hubby, he claims I don't believe in a Paradise Earth. I keep telling him, but he doesn't hear, that IT DOESN'T MATTER. I must live every day my best anyways, every day is a gift. Who cares what happens tomorrow? Have I done right today?

• daystar
    daystar

ironoxidegirl (fe203girl)

So you think a JW saying that is expressing distress? Interesting.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    Sometimes I feel like a real rat for making her so sad

Awe, (((BigDog))), it's not you, it's their belief system doing it to her.

(((Robdar))), thank you. I just realized today how far gone he is.... and how much I have missed him! DAMNED WTBTS and their manipulative mind control. But he bought into it too.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

My dad is the same way. I've heard reports from my family that he just sit's around the house listening to old Johnny Cash tunes, now that all of his sons have dropped the dubs. Sometimes I feel guilty for DA'ing, only because it must have hurt his feelings. But what the hell else was I supposed to do?

GBL

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Fe203girl, I totally agree with what you said, when I hear my mother say it can't go on much longer I definitely feel her desperation, her father that she adored and that got her in the org is gone, her husband of 59 years is now gone, her health is going. when she says it, it sounds like mantra that you might hear a long distance runner chant, just a little farther, just a little farther....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit