Can someone explain the generation change?

by feelinglost 43 Replies latest jw friends

• feelinglost
    feelinglost

After being on here now for a little while, I decided to ask my mother this weekend about whether Armageddon is still supposed to come before the generation of 1914 is gone. And she said yes.

So this leaves me a little confused- is this right, is this what they still teach? Or has something changed? I was still in in 1995, but I don't remember anything changing (shows how much I paid attention!).

So if someone knows and can explain to me, or tell where to look, that would be great too. I would love to slowly plant little seeds of doubt in mom's mind- I want her out!

Also, it's just amusing to me- Mom has been very "can't spend time with my df'd daughter, or invite her over." But she wanted me to come get the rest of my stuff from my parent's before they move, so hubby and I went this weekend, and I invited ourselves to stay for dinner, and just jumped on the chance to make us dinner- made dessert, was trying to make everything hubby liked- even made his favorite cookies! I told hubby it doesn't bother her "conscience" as long as she wasn't the one to invite us. Oh well, I'll take seeing her any way I can. Oh, and she started crying when I threw all of my old books out. But besides just not wanting them in my house, they must have gotten wet- so they were all gross anyways- and I told her if I ever want them again, I know where to find them (not going to happen...)

So anyways- can anyone en"light"en me...?

• JH
    JH
    I decided to ask my mother this weekend about whether Armageddon is still supposed to come before the generation of 1914 is gone. And she said yes.

She will be deceived.

Back in 1995, they changed the generation definition. Now it can go forever.

• daystar
    daystar

I was out a handful of years when it changed. The definition of "generation" was simply changed to mean, not a physical generation, but a "frame of mind" generation. What that exactly means is anyone's guess. IMO, even that new definition means that that generation is over. The world is a very different place than it was in 1914.

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's not surprising that "older ones" have trouble keeping up with the "new light". Have your mom look up the October 15 and November 1 1995 Watchtowers.

Here's an article on freeminds about it. http://www.freeminds.org/history/new1914.htm

• undercover
    undercover

Without references; back in 95 the WTS changed the meaning of "generation" from people who were alive in 1914 to people who have seen the fulfillment of some of the end time prophecies, such as wars, famine, Jesus invisible return, etc.

So instead of the big A coming before the generation of 1914 died off, it could happen during the generation of any group born during the time that the 1914 generation was alive and saw fulfillment of the so-called prophecy. It could happen during me or my children's or my grandchildren's generation...pushing Armageddon out for years and years if necessary.

What the WTS keeps doing though, is keep Armageddon just at arm's length, as if it's going to happen anytime, to keep the JWs in line.

Many of the old timers may not have even realized the change in the teaching since the WTS keeps them hopping as if the end is any minute. They remember the decades of publications that kept pushing the old "generation" teaching and haven't realized that the doctrine changed under their very noses.

• Buster
    Buster

Very nice set of quotes: http://quotes.watchtower.ca/generation.htm

The change was published in a 1995 WT. It reads like so much hemming and hawing. But what it boils down to is that the generation lasts as long as the generations lasts.

My jaw hit my keyboard whn I first read that.

• trevor
    trevor

1990 to 2000 - and Beyond

The march of time moved on relentlessly. The Watchtower Society began to alter their definition of “a generation” and stretch their credulity to the limit. When 1995 arrived they realized they would have to come clean and admit that they were wrong. That Armageddon was in fact further away than they had thought, unless there was another way out.

Realising that time was running out, the Society’s then President Fred Franz, referring to the promised new world declared:

“But we are as strong for it as we ever were, and we are appreciating it all the more the longer we have to wait for it. It is something worth waiting for, even if it required a million years.” (Watchtower – 15 December 1991 – Page 11)

The faithful men of old had not returned physically as promised. The promised return of Jesus to earth had been explained away as an invisible return that they had failed to notice. It was now claimed that many of the promises regarding Israel had been fulfilled on the Witnesses in a spiritual or pictorial way. The promised paradise was, for now, a spiritual paradise.

It would have only been one step more for the Society to declare that Armageddon was to be fought in a spiritual realm and would be one more invisible fulfilment not be seen by the members. They could have written another book explaining that Armageddon had already taken place invisibly and they had missed this event too, but could explain it all, using that wonderful tool of hindsight. Perhaps giving the due apology for having encouraged some of the older members to spend their lives speculating about how many days or years make up a generation. Instead they said:

“Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah’s people have at times speculated about the time when the “great tribulation” would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However we “bring a heart of wisdom in.” Not by speculating about how many days or years make up a generation, but by thinking about how we “count our days” in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah. (Psalm 90:12) Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term “generation” as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historic period, with their identifying characteristics”

“Is anything to be gained, then, by looking for dates or by speculating about the literal lifetime of a “generation”? Far from it! Therefore, in the final fulfilment of Jesus’ prophecy today, “this generation” apparently refers to the people of the earth who see the sign of Christ’s presence but fail to mend their ways. Does our more precise viewpoint on “this Generation” mean that Armageddon is further away than we had thought? Not at all.” (Watchtower – 1 November 1995 - Pages 17,19,20)

Did you notice that the Society did not say – We have at times speculated, but “Jehovah’s people have at times speculated.” The blame for a lifetime of misinterpreting the scriptures and making false prophecies in God’s name is shared with the membership. These are the same members that were threatened with excommunication if they ever dared to challenge the pronouncements coming from the Society, who claim to be “God’s mouthpiece.”

Having spent the last hundred years warning their members and millions of non-members that the world as we know it is about to end, the Society eventually admits that the single verse of scripture that they have based this prediction on is now to be understood differently. Surely this means that Armageddon is further away than they had thought? According to the Watchtower Society “Not at all!”

Is this an honest way to deal with such a fundamental shift of belief?

For a full download of this information - click on my Profile

Trevor

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

They changed the definition of the word "generation" so that it now refers to the group of people who see "the last days". Basically this means that this "generation" can go on indefinitely and never actually die off. Hell... the "last generation" will still be present 1000 years from now.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I heard rumors about the "new understanding" of the generation teaching being in a Watchtower, but when I heard it at an assembly I had a sick feeling in my stomach and knew for certain that the Witnesses were totally full of shit. I just didnt know how to get out and it was the first time I really felt alone, even though I was surrounded by fellow cultists.

Reading that quote from the Watchtower again just blows me away. They screwed peoples entire lives over then blamed it on them.

GBL

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Yep, as far as I can gather, the current teaching is that the generation that is alive when Armageddon comes will be the generation that sees the end.

Huh?

This message presented by your Department of Redundancy Department...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit