Can someone explain the generation change?

by feelinglost 43 Replies latest jw friends

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

or someone who "knows the greek alphabet" like russel.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    or someone who "knows the greek alphabet" like russel.

Wow - he knew ALL of it? Now I AM impressed.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The open ended Generation was first put forward in the Greatest Man book:

"In fact, the end will occur within the lifetime of the people who see the fulfilment of ALL the things Jesus foretells."

This includes The Great Tribulation itself.

HB

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I was told that although events as described in Matthew 24 v 6 were always occurring, they ALL had to occur during 1914 onward to signify the End.

• Legolas
    Legolas

But aren't they, at some point, going to have to change something or come up with some new thing to grab people?

Like how many people say in 50 years are still going to be buying into that crap? They can't keep saying 'That someone got disfellowshipped, so that's why so and so got appointed'!

What are they going to do?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

It was the end for me(if not the generation). As I recall the wts said that the generation was now figurative, rather than a literal generation. E.G. In my father's generation....This statement doesn't point to an exact date!!!!

I met with the elders just after that wt and they denied that there was a change...We always thought this....... I was horriied to see the real truth, that jw's just don't really listen to what is said by the wts.

After that meeting I went home and checked the jw cd rom and did a search on generation. Literally scaes fell off my eyes. The most terrifying reality check in my life. Never walked into a kh since...

• Mulan
    Mulan
    The definition of "generation" was simply changed to mean, not a physical generation, but a "frame of mind" generation. What that exactly means is anyone's guess. IMO, even that new definition means that that generation is over. The world is a very different place than it was in 1914.

That is pretty much it. Ask any JW and I'll bet they can't explain it. I tricked my mother into telling me what it was one time, and she had it wrong too. I was surprised because she studies that stuff all the time. When I told her what I thought it was, she agreed that it was correct.

We had left (at least mentally) earlier in 1995, but of course all the rumors were that the "new light on generation" is what drove us out. If they only knew.

• Mary
    Mary
    So if someone knows and can explain to me, or tell where to look, that would be great too. I would love to slowly plant little seeds of doubt in mom's mind- I want her out!

Well here's a little something you might want to plant in her mind. Ask her "Mom, I'm confused. Jesus returned in 1914 right? But 'this generation' no longer is referring to the generation of 1914....is that correct? Then who exactly was Jesus talking to when he said: "...When you see all these things START to occur, lift yourself erect, because you know your deliverance is getting NEAR."

If the Last Days began in 1914 (as the Witnesses still teach), then the above statement by Jesus is rendered useless and meaningless by their change in the term "this generation." This is something that most Witnesses don't like to think about too much because if they actually think about it, it's obvious that the whole thing makes no damn sense.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Actually, someone with a Greek name who once spent a fortnight in Crete would be as qualified as far as the R&F are concerened..

Hey,my Surnames Greek9ish) and ive been to Crete,Kos AND Corfu!

Think im overqualified??

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    Hey,my Surnames Greek9ish) and ive been to Crete,Kos AND Corfu!

Think im overqualified??

Yes - and with those magnificent qualifications, you'd make the rest of the GB feel inadequate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit