Did You See All Those Looters?!!!

by Doubtfully Yours 65 Replies latest social current

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I would agree with DY's sentiment - if my basic emotion were talking.

I just remember the rebound on the London Police when they applied a "shoot to kill policy" the other week. Once you have done it, it cannot be undone.

• minimus
    minimus

With regard to the looters,what do you mean, "What would Darwin say?"???

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Shoot the looters? You would prefer the food be left to spoil or get water damage? It's all covered by insurance. Why have the food and diapers go to waste? Civilization as they know it is gone. We're talking survival and sometimes survival is not moral or pretty.

Robyn

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    On the flip side of that argument, and with some valid points....anyone with half a brain knew that they lived in a bowl below sea level and knew what a strong hurricane would do. Those people left.

I have to wonder, if something like that happened in my area, where would I go if I didn't have money for a hotel? My entire 'local' family lives in close proximity, and the rest of them live thousands of miles away. My distant relatives are indeed distant, and if I showed up on their doorsteps they wouldn't even know who I was.

Most of the people who stayed seemed to be poor and probably couldn't afford to leave, or perhaps they didn't have any means of transportation (or they were just stupid like you say).

I think I'd scrape up my last dime and take the nearest bus out of state, even if I had to camp out in the woods for a while. But that's just me...

• talesin
    talesin

People in extreme situations often do things out of character ... desperate circumstances lead to desperate acts. I would guess that most of these people are acting out of panic. Some of them may be venting their anger at working their ass off and always being poor, and are taking this opportunity to 'get back', in their shock and despair.

If you had your way DY, you would "shoot" at least half the human race, from what I read of your posts.

... Be Well

tal

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    We're talking survival and sometimes survival is not moral or pretty.

This is a really great thought. Thanks!

Andi

• Robdar
    Robdar
    That makes it OK?

Like I said...leave your number on the wall and PAY IT BACK...

Nobody starves in 1 day.

There ARE relief centers...and AID is POURING in.

I agree "survival" is paramount...but once again...be real... that's not the sitch...it could be...but it's not...yet anyway.

So what would happen if someone "borrows" another individuals food and water...and gets shot? Are they a victim or a perpetrator?

How come during the Great Depression...crime didn't go up?

Whatever people...go cash your savings and 401K and mail to the looters...they'd appreciate it and expect it.

u/d

I didn't say that it was okay. But it is the way it is. Survival is not always moral. Survival does not always ask "What would Jesus do?" Go smoke a bowl and chill out. And while your at it, why don't you realize that most (80%) of New Orleans is under water? How are these people going to get to the relief once it gets there? The store owners are covered. Insurance is covering it. It's a fact of life. It's why we carry insurance. How about a little compassion and a little less violence?

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Eveything in life requires some sort of a balancing act by nature to alleviate the extremes. Perhaps, some of the looting is in fact genuine and out of necessity to avoid catastrophic conditions and for survival.

Hopefully, the majority of the looting that took place was spurred on by danger. But, as we all know, humans are humans, and we are capable of some very gravalicious behavior during opportunistic times. I am sure many electronics have already disappeared, as well as tools, tobacco, liquor and other normally expensive items.

As far as allowing looting to coninue, I totally disagree since anyone of the looting mindset could also easily rationalize other forms of crime. As an extreme example, since a uniformed law enforcement presence may not be completely visibile at present, what prevents someone with a violent disposition from carrying out violent crime?

What about finally getting revenge on a neighbor you don't like? You could easily drown someone, murder someone, rob someone or even worse, RAPE. What if some young girls/students are trapped by water in a house or apartment somewhere and some devious unscrupulous individuals are aware of it and decide to act against the victims? How will you stop this from happening?

There has to be some degree of law and order. For the sake of the greater good, a deterrent must be in place.

• shera
    shera
    realize that most (80%) of New Orleans is under water? How are these people going to get to the relief once it gets there? The store owners are covered. Insurance is covering it. It's a fact of life. It's why we carry insurance. How about a little compassion and a little less violence?

Yeh.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    As far as allowing looting to coninue, I totally disagree since anyone of the looting mindset could also easily rationalize other forms of crime. As an extreme example, since a uniformed law enforcement presence may not be completely visibile at present, what prevents someone with a violent disposition from carrying out violent crime?

What about finally getting revenge on a neighbor you don't like? You could easily drown someone, murder someone, rob someone or even worse, RAPE. What if some young girls/students are trapped by water in a house or apartment somewhere and some devious unscrupulous individuals are aware of it and decide to act against the victims? How will you stop this from happening?

What does looting have to do with a violent disposition? You are comparing apples and oranges.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit