my first cup of coffee.....

by bikerchic 44 Replies latest jw friends

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

It's been about two months since I've drank coffee, I quit cold turkey don't ask why........just wanted to say I didn't miss it at all and now I wonder how I ever drank this stuff in the first place!

Back to cranberry juice in the am for me!

Anyone else ever give up something and wonder later how or why they ever drank, ate or smoked it in the first place?

• el jarocho mayor
    el jarocho mayor

Give up coffee cold turkey voluntarily!? Not me, i couldnt do it. I love the taste and aroma of it. I like to add afew sticks of cinnamon to my coffee. I remember how my great grandmother would let me take small sips of her coffee when i was bout 4 yrs old. Nope couldnt not give up coffee.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Well it appears the powers that be, seem to think you're suddenly doing yourself a dis-service, according the latest findings, they might seem to think that you need an adjustment in your thinking.

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/News/Health/2005/08/30/1193576-sun.html

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

LOL @ el jay (dude how ya been!!!!) miss the chat days!

And yes for the record before I quit drinking coffee I was soooooo into my cup or three and I doctored it up just so. Heck I was even wanting to get a job at Starbucks. I never though or even hinted of the idea of giving up coffee, NEVER! But atlast......the old bod said you've got to do something healthy for yourself so I gave up all vises......for fruits and veggies.......sigh.

prophecor:

The article you refered to said this:

WASHINGTON -- Coffee not only helps clear the mind and perk up the energy, it also provides more antioxidants than any other food or beverage in the American diet, according to a new study.

The findings by Joe Vinson, a chemistry professor at the University of Scranton, in Pennsylvania, give a healthy boost to the warming beverage.

"The point is, people are getting the most antioxidants from beverages, as opposed to what you might think," Vinson said.

Antioxidants, which are thought to help battle cancer and provide other health benefits, are abundant in grains, tomatoes and many other fruits and vegetables.

Vinson said he was researching tea and cocoa and other foods and decided to study coffee, too. They concluded that the average adult consumes 1,299 mg of antioxidants daily from coffee. The closest competitor was tea at 294 mg. Rounding out the top five sources were bananas, 76 mg; dry beans, 72 mg; and corn, 48 mg.

That does not mean coffee is a substitute for fruit and vegetables.

"Unfortunately, consumers are still not eating enough fruits and vegetables, which are better for you from an overall nutritional point of view due to their higher content of vitamins, minerals and fibre," Vinson said.

Yeah, thats exactly what led me to drink the "stuff" this am........this was all over the TV yesterday and I figured what the heck it's good for me, right? It just tasted bad......I can't believe I used to love this stuff!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Kate, I gave up smoking about 10 years ago. Rarely a day goes by when I don't want one. They still smell fabulous to me. I know it's bad for me and I know it's gross, but after a big fat meal, I'd like nothing more then a freshly lit ciggie. But now and again I'll let myself cheat and have one. I figure a cigarette a few times a year is better than the two packs a day I used to smoke.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Another subtle way to try to boost the economy. In another 6 months to a year, after all the fan fare dies down again, they'll pump something else up to either kill us or make us live healthier lives. There's got to be a master pupetteer behind the curtain leading the saftey dance.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    "Unfortunately, consumers are still not eating enough fruits and vegetables, which are better for you from an overall nutritional point of view due to their higher content of vitamins, minerals and fibre," Vinson said.

I adjusted my diet about a month ago. I'm eating fruits and vegetables every day now when previously I had almost none. I'm eating whole grain breads and cereals and have cut back my intake of red meat to once per week instead of every day. Instead of regular eggs I eat the stuff from the carton with substantially reduced amounts of fat and cholesterol. I have turkey strips instead of bacon or sausages. Instead of burgers and fries with gravy for lunch I now bring salads with spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms and red peppers to work. No salad dressing either! I don't add sugar or salt to anything. No more snacking. The result??? I GAINED 10 POUNDS!

I won't give up the coffee though. I did it once and I was ok. Or I thought I was. Everyone else thought I was getting too cranky.

W

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Andi good for you to quit smoking I have too! Don't kid yourself in thinking a cig her and a cig there won't be harmful, IT IS! Plus you never know which one will lead back to the addiction, why risk it. I know I won't ever again, it was always that one little drag that lead me back to the pack..... I'm through for good! I hope you kick it too!

proph:

Another subtle way to try to boost the economy. In another 6 months to a year, after all the fan fare dies down again, they'll pump something else up to either kill us or make us live healthier lives. There's got to be a master pupetteer behind the curtain leading the saftey dance.

I've noticed that too and I thought it was the WTS who cornered the market on the spin doctor crap! LOL

Naaa I'm getting back to nature, fruits, veggies and creatures that can't out run me.......bak, bak, mooo!

According to those doctors on Oprah yesterday it's all about the poop! But then it was watching that show and them saying coffee (24 ozs) a day is okay for you..........burp!

http://www2.oprah.com/health/yourbody/slide/slide_yourbody_digestion_101.jhtml

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Ohhhhhh I'm sooooo hyper I'm off for a bike ride..............

and that's a good thing!

• talesin
    talesin

W/FF/Iis(?)

Just a thought ... your body may have gone into a state of emergency and is thinking it is starving, due to the change in your eating habits. Therefore, it is now storing fat. It's an automatic response. Perhaps you should up your use of fat a bit (the good kind, such as olive oil, canola, and low or no-cholesterol salad dressings), and you may find it works a bit better.

good luck with it! And keep up the healthy eating, give it time. RIGHT ON, GOOD FOR U!

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit