Going to Church for the First Time Alone

by findingmyway 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

I usually go with my boyfriend to his church, but I felt the need to explore this without him. So since I liked his church (Church of Christ) I decided to find one in my area to attend. I was a really nice experience. They have a very strong fellowship and the congregation was very warm. I wasn't feeling the communion or the money plate, so I didn't partake or donate. I will go back so if I ever feel comfortable enough, I may do that sometime down the road. I also think that I may start a bible study, but that's also down the road.

Just getting my feet wet for now.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am glad you had a pleasant experience. Don't feel pressured in any way if someone invites you to participate in this or that. There's no hidden agenda, no golden cage waiting to slam shut. Nothing bad happens if you say "no, I'm not interested right now."

Revel in your freedom to choose.

• skyman
    skyman

I have a question for you. Do have any childern? If so do they think you should be going to the meetings? If you get married will you new husband make your childern go to his Church?

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

I have a son. I am in the very early stages of this spiritual journey, so I'm not involving him at this point. I can't answer any questions about the future, so we'll see. Ultimately, yes, I would like my family to all worship at the same place and share the same beliefs. But only time will tell.

• skyman
    skyman

I have alot of friends that are leaving or have left the BORG and the hardest part is the children are torn between the old world they know and the new. My wife and I have parents that try to use our children against us. Personnaly I could never go to another church after the hurt I have gone through. You must to tougher than I. Make forsure you are not throwing one dictator away for another. Many Witnesses I know are Witnesses because their husband or wife became Witnesses and to keep the love of thier life they give in and become a Witness MAKE SURE THIS IS NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING TO YOU!

• Schizm
    Schizm

Did you know that the Church of Christ supplies the Armed Services of the United States with Chaplains? Do you think that Jesus approves his disciples backing the military?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

*psst* He cant care, Scizzy, he's not a real person... pass it on.

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

Schizm,

That would be the United Church of Christ. There's a distinction between the UCC and the Church of Christ, which does not supply the US Armed Forces with Chaplains.

• findingmyway
    findingmyway
    the hardest part is the children are torn between the old world they know and the new.

This is the reason why I have chosen for now to keep my son separate from this.

My wife and I have parents that try to use our children against us.

My parents do the same -- my mom in particular. Two years ago she asked if she could adopt my son because she doesn't want him to get destroyed. I was devastated because that was when I knew that she had given up on me.

Personnaly I could never go to another church after the hurt I have gone through. You must to tougher than I.

I'm not so tough. I just feel the need to have a church family right now. I may not feel this way after attending this church for a while, but I do right now.

Many Witnesses I know are Witnesses because their husband or wife became Witnesses and to keep the love of thier life they give in and become a Witness MAKE SURE THIS IS NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING TO YOU!

The reason why I decided to find a place to worship separate from my boyfriend is because I felt like I was doing it for him. Separating the two will help me decide if this is something that I really want.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    I liked his church (Church of Christ) I decided to find one in my area to attend.

Schizm,

That would be the United Church of Christ. There's a distinction between the UCC and the Church of Christ, which does not supply the US Armed Forces with Chaplains.

Okay, so you meant to say "United Church of Christ" instead of "Church of Christ".

Denominations, denominations! What the world needs is more denominations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit