Going to Church for the First Time Alone

by findingmyway 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Good for you! Take your time. you have all the time in the world

Meanwhile Schizm continues to show his ignorance. Isn't it wonderful how theocratic training can blunt the mind?

• Schizm
    Schizm

To "horrible life":

You said:

I think it is nice that the Church of Christ sends chaplains to the armed services.

To which I asked:

They think of themselves as being Christ's Church (or congregation), for which reason they call themselves the Church of Christ. Why do you think that Christ Jesus would approve of his congregation getting involved in the world's wars?

Would you care to answer my question?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Did Jesus encourage arms sales (in the purchase of swords)? YES

Was Cornelius encouraged to resign his commission? NO

If Isaiah is prophetic - WHEN would people finally beat their swords into ploughshares, etc.? AFTER THE JUDGEMENT

The only real counter to this is Jesus admonition to Peter, when an attempt was made to fight that Jesus might not be delivered up. There's no indication that this was an injunction against the whole course of human military history, in its continual re-drawing of national borders, especially as this was a role in which he allegedly took an active hand (Col.1:16).

If you want further reading on this, I suggest you reseearch the "Just War" theory.

Now stop derailing the thread, and go get your own

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    talking about churches.......today I went the second time on a Sunday to the "Unity Church"...it was very nice and I feel good going there. I had written about this before. There are no denominations...many attending are catholics or have other religious beliefs - it does not matter to anybody. Their slogan is: "there is one right way - your're on it" .....there is no preaching or anything. The sermon helps to think more positive, to eliminate negativity and to love.

Again, you say it is non-denominational.... but their slogan "There is one right way, you're on it", proves categorically that they are a denomination. I commend the church for allowing people to continue practicing their own beliefs, but if theirs is the right way, what are all the other ways? Their "right way" is denominated against all the other "wrong ways"...

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

LT -

• Schizm
    Schizm

findingmyway said:

Schizm,

That would be the United Church of Christ. There's a distinction between the UCC and the Church of Christ, which does not supply the US Armed Forces with Chaplains.

Okay, but do those who go to the United Church of Christ get involved in the wars of the world? Will they themselves join the Armed Forces and go to war? Have they? They claim to be Christ's Congregation. Would Jesus approve of such ones joining up with the military and going to war?

Another question: Is there a U.S. flag displayed on the platform at the United Church of Christ?

• sunshine2
    sunshine2
    but if theirs is the right way, what are all the other ways

maybe I should have explained it better.......this is what they say to all people, whether they go there or not. God is within you, therefore he is with ALL people, so there is noone better than the other. There is no judging........check them out on their website, maybe I just don't explain myself right.....only been there twice.

www.unity.org

• banished1
    banished1

Yes, good for you to go for yourself and sit down with others and listen to what they have to say. Feel the warmth in the room and listen to the explanation of the scriptures. Church should make you feel good and positive and feel like loving your neighbor and hanging in there. Church should not make you feel lousy, sinful or depressed!
    I too responded to invitations to co-workers churches. I liked the experiences. It was always VERBOTEN as a witness to step inside another church.
    I enjoyed the music and singing and happiness I saw.

It was a happy change from returning to the KH (after being DFd) and being treated like a leper.
    After a couple of visits to various churches though I stopped looking for something to do on a Sunday.
    The Sunday newspaper is my weekend liturgy now.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Admit it Schizm - you haven't got a clue, have you?

How typically JWesque to bash something you know so little about, just because it's under the banner of "Christendom"

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

findingmyway said:

Schizm,

That would be the United Church of Christ. There's a distinction between the UCC and the Church of Christ, which does not supply the US Armed Forces with Chaplains.

Okay, but do those who go to the United Church of Christ get involved in the wars of the world? Will they themselves join the Armed Forces and go to war? Have they? They claim to be Christ's Congregation. Would Jesus approve of such ones joining up with the military and going to war?

Another question: Is there a U.S. flag displayed on the platform at the United Church of Christ?

I am not familiar with the United Church of Christ so I cannot answer any questions relating to the United Church of Christ. To my knowledge, the Church of Christ, which is the church that I explained I attended in my initial post does not adjoin themselves with the Armed Forces and there is no flag displayed there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit