Americans, would you buy a car this small to save on gas?

by Elsewhere 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

When I see a car like that, I have to wonder what kind of wreck they leave in a freeway collision. Doesn't look like there is much between the driver and whatever s/he would hit. Are there airbags?

I would rather get a hybrid to save on fuel efficiency...

(I don't drive tho, so the question is moot)

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

The car does have airbags, and they are not very unsafe.

In collission tests they score okay. (reasonably safe).

The price is a bit high aroud $40000 new.

edited to add: They have enough room for groceries and things like that. (well enough for us, I do not know about the amounth of groceries americans buy :)

• Englishman
    Englishman

They're very popular in the UK. Easy to park anywhere too, you just point the nose into the space and park crossways.

alt

Englishman.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Is that 60 miles to a uk gallon? That's amazing - it's roughly what my motorbike does. (65 mpg)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

They were made in colloboration with Mercedes, so you can be assured of good build quality and safety features and ratings.

There's a sports version that looks really cool. I've been tempted.

I find it amazing the kind of performance that they've managed to squeeze out of a 600cc engine (on the whole range, not just the sports version), albeit it's turbo-charged!

They aren't a family car by any stretch of the imagination, but given that a lot of people commute alone or in pairs, or just nip down to the shops, they are ideal little run-arounds. The gas mileage and park-ability make them really desirable.

And yes, I've been in one

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

No, I wouldn't...if I had to get something THAT small, I would just get a bicycle and attach an xtracycle to it:

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I once rented the Smart Roadster - wow, what a feeling.

• talesin
    talesin

I'd love to have one of these cars. There are a few of them around town. Perfect for one person!

Danny, the prices quoted in the article are much lower... hmm, I wonder wassup with that?

The Smart, with prices that start at 8,000 euros (about $11,000 at yesterday's rates),

t

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Talesin, you are right!

I am sorry. I was totally wrong about the prices. I made the wrong pre-euro conversion, sorry.... The cheapest one 9980 euro here.

That would be starting at 13000 $. ( abit more complete or diesel engine one around 15000 - 20000 $)

• talesin
    talesin

Ah, that makes more sense, thanks, Danny.

A friend and I were talking about this the other day, and I was impressed with the price (compared to other cars). The removable body is kinda strange-sounding, and I imagine that the panels are quite expensive, but then, who needs to change the colour of their car? It's not a fashion accessory, after all. lol !

Then again, I can buy a scooter for about 5 grand ... hmmm, is it worth 10 thousand bux to keep out of the weather? YES!

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit