Americans, would you buy a car this small to save on gas?

by Elsewhere 63 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

talesin,

You really can't compare it to a scooter.

Those cars are quite fast. It is easy to maek 150 with them. I have driven in one, quite nice actually.

There are some cheaper cars that have four seats. Like the some Fiats are much cheaper, or some japanese cars. The fort Ka is also in this price class.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Then again, I can buy a scooter for about 5 grand ... hmmm, is it worth 10 thousand bux to keep out of the weather? YES!

Well, it depends how much you like biking. I just took my bike out to get fuel just for the hell of it, I like biking so much and I'm going out on it again in a minute. I really have no need for a car.

• Sirona
    Sirona

No car beats my car. I love it!

Its the new nissan micra (mine is the five door SE version) in pearl blue. It has air conditioning, rain sensing wipers, a drive computer...it is a small car but four doors with a large boot (trunk), AND it does 47.9 miles to the gallon!!!

http://www.nissan.co.uk/servlet/nissan.convergence.servlets.extended.carbuilder2.CarBuilderSplashPage?nSCVehicleId=526&successURL=/showroom2/showroom_cb_splash.jsp

Sirona

• luna2
    luna2

That's very interesting. I'd certainly consider it. I only drive myself around anyway. One concern, like others have said, is getting hit by one of the oversized SUVs or pickup trucks we have such an overabundance of on the roads here. I think I'd feel a bit vulnerable.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I'd feel just as safe driving this.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I can't say I've ever driven a little red "x" before.

• talesin
    talesin

Danny, ballistic,

I have been looking at what type of vehicle may best suit me a year or so down the road. Due to the rising insurance costs (and the mortgage prices of most cars!), and gasoline, I was thinking along the lines of a scooter. What with the harsh winters here, though, there may be times when a scooter is just not gonna make the grade. I love motorbikes, but are they practical in -20 weather? hmmm.....

The smart car seems to present a more cost-efficient alternative. For the cost of a good second-hand vehicle, I can actually buy a new one, plus save on fuel costs. (tho the GD insurance companies will still get me .. hehe)

t

• ballistic
    ballistic
    I love motorbikes, but are they practical in -20 weather?

Ar - now that might be a major consideration. Since global warming (about the last 10 years) we haven't really had a winter here on the south coast of England. I can go all through winter without having to drive on ice or snow.

And because I live close to where I work, if we do get bad weather, I can simply leave the bike covered up and walk. I guess I'm lucky.

In an ideal world, you have a car and a bike, but if cost is a consideration you have to take, you would probably not save on the running costs during the summer to make up for the extra cost of having two vehicles.

People like my mother and g/friends ask me why don't I get a car - they feel I'm not safe on a bike. Well it's true, you are 20 times more likely to die on the road on a bike than in a car, although I have never had an accident since returning to biking from cars though 5 years ago.

But I think riding in harsh conditions would definately be less safe.

• Simon
    Simon

Believe it or not, David Coulthard (F1 Racing Driver) drives a Smart-Car !

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I once rented the Smart Roadster - wow, what a feeling.

Wow! That is a nice looking little car! I'd definitely drive one of those!

How much do they cost?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit