Here is another reason to celebrate on December 25th

by Eyebrow2 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Okay....I tried reading the whole thread about not taking Christ out of Xmas http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/97085/1.ashx, but really, no, that is just too much to read through...and I figured no one would both to see what I had written ANYWAY...so here are a few other reasons for those of you to celebrate on Dec 25th if you don't have "Christ in your Christmas"

I suppose if you don't have christ in your christmas we could call it "Christmas Lite" or "Christ Free Christmas" "NonChrist Latte with half decaf"

Anyhoo...

1. Isaac Newton's bday...a giant in math and phyics

2. Clara Barton's bday..the found of the Red Cross, an organization that over the past 100 years has done as much or even more good than many Christian churches for humanity in general

3. Jimmy Buffet's bday...I don't think I have to go into detail on how important Jimmy Buffet is to the world. As far as I am concerned, if there is a paradise, cheeseburgers will be plentiful there.

4. Winter Solstice...or THANK GOODNESS THE DAYS ARE FINALLY GOING TO START GETTING LONGER!! SUNSHINE AWAITS US ALL!!!

Oh and a reason to have a moment of silence for the travesties and injustices in America, because Dec 25th is also the bday of Karl Rove.Try not to let that interfere with the day's good mood and festivities.

What reasons, beside Jesus do YOU have to celebrate on December 25th?

• Legolas
    Legolas
    I suppose if you don't have christ in your christmas we could call it "Christmas Lite" or "Christ Free Christmas" "NonChrist Latte with half decaf"

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

To hell with Christmas! Let's observe Saturnalia!!!

http://www.e-sheep.com/Saturnalia/

W

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Actually Pastor Russell celebrated Christmas because December 25th was about the time of year of the Annunciation (e.g. if Jesus was actually born in September-October, Mary would have conceived him nine months earlier....around the holiday season) by his reckoning. So even tho he knew full well that Jesus was not actually born on December 25th, Russell still maintained Christmas as a celebration of the incarnation and birth of the Christ....

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

ahhh....I see he figured if it was her immaculate conception..then it was worth celebrating? That is an interesting take, really.

Friends and family...I know many celebrate that part of it...the whole goodwill feel of it.

But what else, besides Saturnalia, and Jesus related reasons can one come up with for celebrating on December 25th?

BTW, Finally Free...that is a neat site..thanks for the link.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I don't care what anyone says about Christmas, I love it and I look forward to it every year as if I was a little kid.

The beauty of the season the lights, peoples attitudes are warmer and people are kinder.

I also have to be honest I love getting presents....

So bring it on.

love Orangefatcat

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I love Christmas too. Got to see my first white Christmas when I moved to Indiana almost 3 years ago. It snowed as we slept on Christmas Eve. It was beautiful.

Josie

• talesin
    talesin

I LOVE XMAS!!!

Atheist here! But Xmas is all about family and friends,,,, be it Christmas, Kwaanza, Solstice, Chanuka, or whatever your belief for that 'special season', it's about food, fellowship, and the realization that we are not alone ...

tal

• damselfly
    damselfly

The holidays are the few times of the year that I get to experience "family" life. My partner's family have accepted me as one of their own and I look forward to all holidays for that reason. Christmas isn't about Christ for me either, it's about love, acceptance and friends. A chance to show your appreciation for them.

Dams

• Mulan
    Mulan
    But Xmas is all about family and friends,,,, be it Christmas, Kwaanza, Solstice, Chanuka, or whatever your belief for that 'special season', it's about food, fellowship, and the realization that we are not alone ...

Well said. I second that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit