Here is another reason to celebrate on December 25th

by Eyebrow2 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"2. Clara Barton's bday..the found of the Red Cross, an organization that over the past 100 years has done as much or even more good than many Christian churches for humanity in general"

Technically, Clara brought the Red Cross to the U.S. The organization was actually founded in Switzerland several years earlier, which is why the Red Cross emblem is a reverse of the Swiss flag. The american Red cross is a member organization of a larger group which also includes the Red Crescent, a similar group providing humanitarian relief in Islamic nations. (Trust me on this one. I'm on the board of directors for our local Red Cross chapter.)

"3. Jimmy Buffet's bday...I don't think I have to go into detail on how important Jimmy Buffet is to the world. As far as I am concerned, if there is a paradise, cheeseburgers will be plentiful there."

Really? I never knew Buffett's b-day was 12/25.

Parrot Heads Unite! :-)

It's a jungle out there, kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.

• kazar
    kazar

As the days grow shorter and nights longer, Christmas is such an oasis in the dark season of winter, coupled with the feeling of good will and excitement from everyone. The contrast of the cold outside, (even snow) with the warm coziness of your house, plus the hustle and bustle of getting a few gifts together and cooking dishes you ordinarily don't. I know much of it is holiday greeting card fantasy, but I still love it. You know, "chestnuts roasting by an open fire". And the carols! The lyrics to the Christmas carols are so beautiful and descriptive.

• nilfun
    nilfun

Kazar, perfectly stated -- fits my feelings about Yule time to a "T".

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I love Xmas sooo much. I get happier just thinking about it. I'm going to be the biggest Christmas-slut there ever was this year. It's a great time to just celebrate humanity, closeness, love.

GBL

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

So, could you some it up as a celebration of family, and friends, and just goodwill in general?

I love christmas too...for the same reasons. But, I am just curious what people could/would say if they had other reasons besides those.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"I am just curious what people could/would say if they had other reasons besides those."

Blame the eggnog, Hon. And the bottle of Rare Bird I generally find under the tree. A little aged bourbon makes it worth crawling out of bed on a holiday.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Dan-O

thanks for the clarification on Clara Barton...I stand corrected...this is what I get for relying on accessing the files in the back of my skull. How annoying...as soon as I read your post, I thought "oh god...I knew that, I am such a dolt. What was I thinking!" This is what I get for not thinking before posting hahah. My bad...

I found the bdays with this site.

http://www.who2.com/birthday/25december.html

And oooo the egg nog....i do love a good nog. sigh.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Speaking of which ... perhaps this deserves its own thread, but does anyone else have a good eggnog recipe? I start off with about a dozen eggs & some cream & vanilla & rum & bourbon & nutmeg & sugar ... but generally seem to get lost after testing the bourbon & rum for quality.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

We should start a list of good xmas recipes...."Xmas-Newton-Lite" recipes...maybe put in an archive file some where...very good idea.

Another reason to celebrate on Dec 25th:

ALL THE GOOD FOOD....almost as good as turkey day

• inquirer
    inquirer

Sorry if I am off topic, but I feel no need to celebrate Christmas. I don't want to do something just because Witnesses don't do it. I don't like the event because I don't want to not because of a religious organization. I certainly don't need their approval or disapproval on anything!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit