A Customer really pissed me off yesterday at work: SHE WANTS TO PRAY for me

by Terry 116 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

So if someone really believes that his prayer has the ability to open my eyes, why is there even a need to tell me about it? Isn't telling me about it just being self-serving?

• hmike
    hmike
    Terry - You handled it great.

No, considering he was on the clock, representing the employer. When you serve the public, they have a lot of liberty to say what they want that you don't.

If Terry's not careful, his employer may require him to take sensitivity training.;)

• thinker
    thinker

Hi Terry,

Like you, I've always seen an insult hidden in that 'loving' phrase "I'll pray for you". My usual response is to site the scientific research showing that prayer can help to heal. The other person usually gets encouraged at this point. Then I explain that the research showed that it didn't matter if the person doing the praying was christian, jewish, muslim, buddist, etc... This usually leads to their silence.

thinker

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    They call themselves Christians, but are very vague about what it means to be a Christian (or at least very simplistic about their approach).

What most people don't understand is that being a Christian is very simple. "Love God with your whole heart, soul, and mind; Love your neighbor." If we followed those two rules, then doctrine doesn't matter. Everything falls under those two rules. Seems pretty simple to me. Why get caught up in whether your shirt must be white at the Sunday meeting or whether you drive a two door or four door car? Where in the bible does it say those type of rules must be followed? But many people don't like it being that easy, thus the millions of rules that different religions have. Many of today's Christianity is no different than the Pharisaical teachings of Jesus day. They are so wrapped up with following the letter of the law, they completely lose the spirit of the law.

Honestly...it's not that complicated.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Terry,

Anway, he was telling the new-hire...

"Josh, you see these letters here inside the front of the book? These letters are the Library of Congress code that identifies the genre of the book in case you are ever undecided what section it belongs in. For example, Romance is "G", History is "L H", the Bible is "BS"...."

I blurted out: 'IT CERTAINLY IS"

I think I mentioned it in another post somewheres, but I can't find it now. But several years ago, as I was purchasing door prizes for an Apostofest (at Half Price Books), I found a New World Translation in the "Religious Fiction" section. I found that too humorous to NOT mention at the Fest that night. Everyone got a good roar out of it!

Andi

• Golf
    Golf

"Me thinketh the lady doth protest toooo, much"

Golf

• Terry
    Terry

You know what I do with the New World Translation?

(Hint: It doesn't end up on the shelf. Nor do any of the Watchtower Society publications.)

Terry

p.s. My official position is that there is no official retail price to base a "half price" on. And, I'm stickin' to it.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Just got back from doing volunteer work in tsunami affected area.

I was walking out of my accomodation one day and two young guys bail me up. I thought they needed directions so stopped. They were both staring right through me, kinda creepy. I asked if they were volunteers.

Uumm no just around talking to people... Both look at each other and laugh.

I get ready to move off as ther vagueness and staring made me wonder if they were mentally unstable or stoned.

See ya.

Oh ..we were wondering if there was anything we could pray over for you..

CHRISTIANS!!!!!

We are in the middle of a disaster area with people still dying and no housing and they want to PRAY for me(?!), a white middle class person who can leave when they want?

I was so thunderstruck that I couldn't suggest them putting a shovel in their lilley white hands and get in the dirt and just shut up about their belief.

After I declined, they both laughed to each other apparently full of the spirit, joyfull in knowing they did the lord's work........

• Valis
    Valis
    I found that too humorous to NOT mention at the Fest that night. Everyone got a good roar out of it!

was it not Blue Mesa? good times...good times...

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I found that too humorous to NOT mention at the Fest that night. Everyone got a good roar out of it

was it not Blue Mesa? good times...good times...

Yeah, that was about 3 years ago I think. I remember it was my birthday night. Can you believe that about 3 years ago this October you were sitting as my family at my wedding? Time flies! (I still talk about my dirty ol' uncle with the tats and dreads...everyone always remembers you. LOL!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit