Can't find a scripture!

by Sunspot 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Sometimes the NWT is s frustrating! I can seldom find scriptures that might be taken as "contrary" to WTS beliefs. I have been looking for a couple of hours for one scripture and cannot seem to locate it!

It contains something like "binding up the consciences of others" or something similar.

Can anyone help me out here?

Annie.....who can't read the (cough) "superfine" print in the back of the WTS bible's index.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

sunspot,

Could you expand on the context, and I'll have a search for you.

steve

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    I can seldom find scriptures that might be taken as "contrary" to WTS beliefs.

Jeesh...go figure.

• talesin
    talesin

Annie,, looking thru the TINY index

1 Cor 8:12

But when you people thus sin against your brothers and wound their conscience that is weak, you are sinning against Christ.

1 Cor 10:29

"Conscience," I say, not your own, but that of the other person. For why should it be that my freedom is judged by another person's conscience?

These are the only ones I found that may be along the lines of what you are looking for.

t

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Thanks, but I did look through everything I could get my hands on and my eyes around! None of them at the back fit what I was tryng to find. just saw this somewhere the other day and I knew that I should have written it down!

That's all I can remember of it, that's what's so frustrating!

hugs,

Annie

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hmm... it might be some free translation of Matthew 23:4, which actually uses metaphorical language: "They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on the shoulders of others; but they themselves are unwilling to lift a finger to move them."

Or perhaps a literal translation of 1 Corinthians 8:10, which speaks (ironically) of the "strong" building up the "weak"'s conscience...

Otherwise I have no idea...

• Ticker
    Ticker

Don't feel bad Annie, I've run into the same problem. Anytime I try to look up a scripture not supporting their take on a certain doctrine in the NWT, it seems to never be listed in the back. How convenient that is!

Ticker

• skyman
    skyman

Try looking up the Borean congregation. You can't find it nowhere unless you look under Borea. I called over a dozen brothers one day trying to make up a talk and no one could find the information. Years later on the internet someone said look under Borea not under the Borean sure enough there the information was I have to wonder why it is so easy to find articles that they want you to find and make it so hard to find others.

Yes I do know the answer it is so obvious.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Are you sure it contains the word 'binding' - I have the large concordance for the NWT and cannot find anything yet.....

still looking......

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

23 "Woe to YOU, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because YOU give the tenth of the mint and the dill and the cumin, but YOU have disregarded the weightier matters of the Law, namely, justice and mercy and faithfulness. These things it was binding to do, yet not to disregard the other things. 24 Blind guides, who strain out the gnat but gulp down the camel!

Then Moses spoke to the heads of the tribes of the sons of Israel, saying: "This is the word that Jehovah has commanded: 2 In case a man makes a vow to Jehovah or swears an oath to bind a vow of abstinence upon his soul, he must not violate his word. According to all that has gone out of his mouth he should do. Numbers 30:1

They bind up heavy loads and put them upon the shoulders of men, but they themselves are not willing to budge them with their finger. Matthew 23:4

????????????????????

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit