Who here gives to the homeless?

by JW83 82 Replies latest jw friends

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

If I see a homeless person on the street, I never give money to them. I do donate bi-monthly to the Tacoma Rescue Mission, a religious organization that provides meals, shelter and rehabilitation to the homeless. I also donate clothing to a local presbyterian church.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Damselfly: It makes a big difference in their lives just to have someone make eye contact with them.

I work in the downtown Dallas area where it is not uncommon to see a homeless person asking for help. I never avert my eyes and I almost always give them a dollar or whatever change I might have in my pocket. I just have a hard to walking past and offering no help.

Yes, I know there are some out there perpetrating scams, but I would rather be scammed 1000 times over than let that one person who is really in need go by.

I also sponsor a child in the Philippines through www.children.org.

I know I will not solve all of the problems in the world, but a dollar here and a dollar there is better than nothing.

• Buster
    Buster

Tigerman, to be honest, yes I would if I were in that situation, I would likely be weak and look for a quick handout.

But I'm not in that situation, never have been, and never expect to be. In any event, I would hope that I could receive truly helpful treatment rather than get organization and training on how to be a better bum.

• damselfly
    damselfly
    I work in the downtown Dallas area where it is not uncommon to see a homeless person asking for help. I never avert my eyes and I almost always give them a dollar or whatever change I might have in my pocket. I just have a hard to walking past and offering no help.

I knew I liked you for a reason, Elsewhere.

Dams

• damselfly
    damselfly

I have to say that I am a little shocked and disappointed that a lot of posters on this thread don't help homeless people. Drug and alcohol addictions are serious diseases, it's not easy to just snap your fingers and be okay. People struggle with these disorders for years. Doing things they hate just to get by and survive to the next day.

The person you walk by on the street is someones daughter, father, brother,sister,son.

That person could be my grandfather.

I would like to think that someone would help him if they could.

Dams

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Part of my job is working with homeless youth, so I guess I give a lot.

Nuthin wrong in giving a guy 2 dollars for a beer. Poor bastard needs a bit of pleasure..

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Drug and alcohol addictions are serious diseases, it's not easy to just snap your fingers and be okay.

There are also those who suffer with depression... something I have battled most of my life. I have been very lucky that I have not self-destructed like many people do. Many of the homeless people live a live of total despair... they literally crave death as a way to make the hurt stop. This is why they self destruct and end up homeless.

I have to admit that a lot of the time I cannot get too close and know a person like this too much or I get sucked in. I try to do what I can from a distance.

If you ever see an old bag lady who goes by Free... tell her you know Elsewhere. She'll smile really big.

• Purza
    Purza

Every time I have seen this topic today it reminds me of this homeless man who was begging for money yesterday. I told my daughter -- "have you ever seen a pregnant man?" and she said, "yeah he has a big belly, but the rest of him is skinny." So upon closer inspection I noticed his belly was distended and I thought it could be from some sort of liver disease. As I was feeling sorry for him (but not thinking about giving him money) he looked up at me and raised his shirt so that I could see his distended belly with his entire belly button jutting out -- it was HUGE (probably about 3 inches in diameter) and looked like it was about protruding about 4 inches beyond his large belly. I am sorry, but I was totally grossed out and turned away. But that picture remains in my mind.

And no, I generally do not give the homeless money as I work very hard to earn the little that I make. However, I do donate food and clothes to the local food bank and shelter.

Purza

• damselfly
    damselfly

Yes, I should have included depression in there as well. I've struggled with this as well and consider myself lucky to still be alive. I could have easily ended up on the street if I hadn't had someone willing to take me in.

Everytime I pass someone on a street corner I look to see if they are family.

Dams

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Maybe you could make a donation to a fund that provides shelter/food etc for the homeless? Personally I donate bedding and clothes to charities around here and support fund raising drives. I also sponser a little girl in Central America.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit