Who here gives to the homeless?

by JW83 82 Replies latest jw friends

• JW83
    JW83

I'm interested in how many here give to the homeless, or any kind of charity, since that was not a part of the Witness experience. I have to admit that my heart is hard ...

• prophecor
    prophecor

As a rule, I'll not give to the homeless. There are many programs available to assist the homeless, should they opt to receive the help that's already available. Most of the homeless are aware of the various feeding outlets that service thier community. As for giving money to them, just so I can make myself feel good is something I'll not do. Not even small change.

I've seen one individual who waits for the cars to come off the expressway, with his bucket, asking for money. Looking out my side view mirror, I was able to notice several one dollar bills trying to escape from his pants pocket.

To throw money thier way is, to me, a form of encouraged helplessness.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

No! There is a lot of government-aid for those people.
    Government hands out free money, so homeless people are only those wanting no real help. (some exceptions)

(that is why we pay up to 60% income tax, 19.5% VAT, and many other taxes)

Danny

• under74
    under74

I give extra change if I have it or a friend of mine recently gave me some McDonald's gift certificates with a crisis clinic's address and phone# printed on it so I've been giving those out. I sometimes feel that there are some people that could do more for themselves....but then again I realize that I don't know what their situation is...don't know what put them where they are.

Also, if it weren't for some "worldly" lady helping my mom out when our family was about to live in a car I don't know what would have happened to us. The change I give out when I have it is nothing in comparison but I feel like I should do what I can when I can for those that I'm that I'm pretty sure could use the change.

• prophecor
    prophecor

And don't feel guilty about it. I know from personal experience how much help is available to the homeless, I spent January to August of 1994, in a series of homeless shelters. After completing the program, I was blessed with my first apartment. Help among the homeless population is available if we concentrate on chanelling our efforts through the proper channels.

• Sushi Crow
    Sushi Crow

There are many programs available to assist the homeless, should they opt to receive the help that's already available. That would make sense to me, if there were enough services available. The shelters around here get completely filled up and they have to turn people away. There isn't enough public housing to everyone who needs a real home instead of just a shelter. Also, shelters can be scary and oppressive places to stay. Many shelters kick people out during the day (during daytime work hours) to wander the streets. This is especially a problem for anyone who is disabled, has kids or is elderly. I know that these conditions exist outside of where I live.

Most of the homeless are aware of the various feeding outlets that service thier community.

Yes, I'm sure that most people are aware of these places. However, not only does the food taste really bad at many places, but it is almost completely lacking in nutrition and is high in sodium, fats and white flours (empty calories.) It's enough to make you physically sick. This does not seem to me like the right way to treat anyone, but also doesn't make sense economically. It means more folks in ER's and doctor's offices paid for by taxes. If you are allergic to foods (as many are) then you have another problem. If you're a vegetarian, you can completely forget eating at these places (poverty should not dictate personal ethics.)

I don't give to panhandlers or charities. The only reason why I don't is because I don't have the money to do so - I receive benefits in order to survive. Receiving assistance of any kind is not what encourages helplessness. It makes folks feel cared about. It's hopelessness, alienation and a complicated web of politics that encourages helplessness.

Sushi Crow

• prophecor
    prophecor

Proverbs 27:7 He who is satiated loathes and treads underfoot a honeycomb, but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.

I realise that it's not the best of circumstances for anyone to have to endure, but do you think these same individuals would choose to opt for food that is healthy, at all? I've been there. The homeless often would prefer to use those same monies on such things as alcohol and cigarettes, both habits which are going to cause them even greater complications than food which maybe less than desireable as regards tastiness. The objective here too is to keep them alive, worrying about one's health can come when more stability has been returned to these individuals lives.

• talesin
    talesin

Sometimes I will make a batch of cookies, take them downtown and spend a couple of hours walking around, chatting to the homeless folk, giving out my cookies. I've done it with sandwiches, too. Many of these people need human kindness and 5 minutes of our time, more than they need a free meal or whatever,,, it's a tough problem to solve. There are soup kitchens to feed them, tis true, but it's hard to line up and wait for your (crappy) supper to be doled out, no matter how poor you are. People often turn to the streets from hopelessness and despair, because they have given up on life, and stay there for a variety of reasons.

tal

• damselfly
    damselfly

I've lived under the poverty line for all of my adult life, with the exception of the past year. I never had much to give money wise, but I've often shared my lunch with homeless people and spent a few minutes chatting to them about their day. It makes a big difference in their lives just to have someone make eye contact with them. Now that I have spare change I always donate to the local animal shelters.

Dams

• prophecor
    prophecor

OK. I admit, my heart goes soft on some folks. There was this one guy, who happened to be white. I was coming out of a doctors office, that afternoon. I politely jumped in my car, and watched the world thru the looking glass of my windshield. People would pass him by, not even try to acknowledge that he too, was a fellow human on the planet. Despite the fact that he was white, the white business people just ignored him and kept thier un-professional distance.

I watched the whole thing play itself out, just like it was a bad movie. I sat there for about 5 minutes watching this whole drama unfold, got out of my car a gave the man $2.00 looked him in the eye and wished my best for him, he said thank-you brother. I can still hear and see that man's face his appreciation, It was all that I could do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit