When Did You Realize That You REALLY Were Going To Die?

by minimus 58 Replies latest jw friends

• m. kirov
    m. kirov

around Thanksgiving 2004. *sigh*

it feels strange now, not believing in the 144,000 doctrine and knowing I could go to heaven myself.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I never really believed that I wouldn't die, as much as I wanted to, I always had doubts about the reality of that "promise". The scriptures used to "support" it always seemed to be somewhat taken out of context to me, but at the time I wanted to be a good dub and didn't really question anything, but I can't remember the idea of not having to die ever being totally real to me

• Apostanator
    Apostanator

I knew I was going to die if I stayed in that rotton witness marriage !!! So I divorced and realized life is for living. As a witness you are taught to just exist until Armageddon and then, have the real life on paradise earth. When I left the witnesses, I learned that death is a part of life. What happens when we die? I don't know, I'll find out when I get there. For now I try to honor myself and live a decent life.

• peggy
    peggy

Interesting topic! I began hearing about "everlasting life" at age four. My mom was baptized then, she was 30 years old. She told us Armagedon was just around the corner. Sad thing is, my dad wasn't a JW. It didn't take too many years to realize this was a DEATH sentence for him. Some "kind" friends liked to point that out to us. He better make a stand for the truth or he is DEAD. What a way to grow up! In my teens I fell into sin as many teens do. Which also became a death sentence. I felt UNWORTHY of LIFE. In 1974, just under the window of DEATH, I was baptized. Three weeks later, I fell back into SIN. 1975 came and went. That was a shock! I married in 1976 at age 18. I spent the next 28 years raising my kids. Here it is 2005. I am inactive, two of my children are inactive. I am divorced and wondering about DEATH. My faithful JW mom is still waiting for her reward. Her health is fragile. Where is this promised paradise? DEATH awaits us.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

A chap goes to the doctor.

The doctor examines him and says "Sorry, I have bad news. You have a incurable disease".

The guy asks "How long do I have to live, Doc?"

The Doctor replies "10".

The guy says "10, eh? 10 what? 10 Years? Months?..."

The doctor says "9".

Pope

• Honesty
    Honesty

When I put the following scriptures together I knew the WatchTower is lying:

Gen 1:26-27 (HCSB) Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness. They will rule the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, the animals, all the earth, and the creatures that crawl on the earth.”
    27 So God created man in His own image; He created him in the image of God; He created them male and female.

2 Sam 12:21-23 (HCSB) His servants asked him, “What did you just do? While the baby was alive, you fasted and wept, but when he died, you got up and ate food.”
    22 He answered, “While the baby was alive, I fasted and wept because I thought, ‘Who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me and let him live.’ 23 But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I’ll go to him, but he will never return to me.”

Matt 10:28 (HCSB) Don’t fear those who kill the body but are not able to kill the soul; rather, fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

• luna2
    luna2

When I stopped going to meetings, I figured that if the Big A came while I was still disenfranchised, I'd be dead forever and wouldn't get to that fab "New System" paradise on earf. Now its all up in the air. I don't have any firm belief or idea of what happens when we die. Maybe we do just end, maybe we go on in some form. I don't know and I'm not going to worry about it any more. Gotta live the life I have the best I can for as long as possible and try to plan for retirement (which I never worried about because of my mental withnoid beliefs).

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I allways knew I was going to die. I was never good enough. I just didn't have it in me to let my life be ruled by the Watchtower God.

It really hit me at about 12 or 13.

I gave up and got out without baptism and waited for Jehovah to pull the trigger.

The relief for me came from knowing it was all a hoax. Edited to add: That happened two years ago just before I found JWD.

Chris

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I don't think I ever believed I was good enough to be in the "New System" even when I was a little girl. One of my strongest memories of being young is from when I was very little maybe 7 or 8 years old. I remember my mom would always get upset at all us kids running around the house raising hell and what not. She would get angry and end up cursing and then she felt bad and said she wasn't going to get to live forever since we all were driving her crazy! Poor lady, looking back now there were five of us and I just could not imagine! Anyway I would always pray before bedtime. I always prayed that even if I wasn't going to make it into the paradise, I hoped that Jehovah would let my parents be there. I knew they were good people and they deserved it for all their efforts. I would be in tears after I was done because I was so worried! But yeah, I never planned on the whole living forever thing for myself anyway.

• Es
    Es

I dont really think bout it, but i do know i never even when i was young could picture myself living for ever, i never could understand it it never felt right, so I guess ive always known i was going to die at some stage in my life es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit