When Did You Realize That You REALLY Were Going To Die?

by minimus 58 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

and not live forever on paradise earth?

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Sometime around 1995 when I learned that the generation that saw the events of 1914 was safe! That's when I realized it was all a sham and I'd been hoodwinked, bamboozled and led astray.

Boy was I pissed !

(usually) sweet tee

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

a while back. why?

• dh
    dh

i think i must have still been a kid when i subconsciously stopped thinking i was going to live forever... also i think it got to the point where i did not want to live forever and so switched off those kind of thoughts. the thought of armageddon coming lived longer than that of eternal life on a paradise earth, which just goes to show what gets programmed in hardest.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Studying the "Revelation" book ten years ago for the bookstudy. My brain was laughing but my heart was crying.

GBL

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I never really believed I wouldn't die. After my first few years with the JWs I didn't want to survive armageddon just to live in a world filled with assholes.

W

• JH
    JH

I realized I was going to die, when they broke their 1994 generation promise.

• Emma
    Emma

I guess I stopped believing long before I realized it. When I finally walked away from the borg, my only worry was that IF they were right, I might be dooming my kids. But I really believed that if there were a god, he would be loving and wouldn't kill everyone.

It was the fact that I'd given up my life to a meaningless way of life, my youth was gone to the borg and a bad husband. I was really bitter and angry about that for a while.

Emma

• garybuss
    garybuss

I always planned to die. I was taught that I was going to be murdered by God at Armageddon from the age of 7. I lived with a chronic fear of impending doom. My awakening was realizing I was going to live . . . not be murdered by god. I had been living the short life, not preparing to live, not looking at old age and retirement as a reality. I had some changes to be made.
    Reality is the enemy of the delusion. My parents and the Witness people prepared me to die, not to live. The primary role of the parent is to prepare their children to live. My parents couldn't have failed any more miserably. The Witness people failed as a culture, and the Witness people turned out to be liars, cheats, and thieves.
    To steal the basic hope of life from a child is the ultimate theft. I know I'm not alone.

• Purza
    Purza

Its tough to get past that one. At least for me it was. I think I have come to terms with it, but I don't give it too much thought. My husband says that everyone dies and that when he goes he hopes he lived a full life. I always counter that with "well . . . can you pick the date you are going to die?" (Something my dad used to ask people out in service when they said they didn't care about dying). My husband just laughs at me at the point knowing that some of the brainwashing is still working.

Purza

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit