What's Your View of Spanking (Children)?

by minimus 83 Replies latest jw friends

• Ellie
    Ellie

I'm ashamed to say it but yes I have smacked my oldest daughter a few times, its always been as a last resort, when I've tried every other means to disipline her and shes still being naughty, but it makes no difference, its wrong to smack a child, and I still feel so guilty now even though the last time it happened was Christmas.

I've been reading self help books and I've discovered 'Ignore bad behaviour, reward good behaviour' and it really works, well atleast for us anyway.

Oh by the way, when I say I've smacked her I just mean a single slap to the leg, I've never beaten her.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Honestly ya'll, only under the most duress of circumstances, would I ever administer corporal punishment to a child. I've needed to, on occassion to get the rod ( not a literal rod, mind you ) out to discipline my grandaughter, who she knows is the apple of my eye. When children get above and beyond themselves, it becomes necessary to deliver discipline in as loving a fashion as is humanly possible, without your feelings being involved, to do this after every other measure has been exhausted, and not before. Edited to add, that I also explain to her, afterwards, why she was disciplined, and let her know that it is not becaiuse I don;'t love her, we kiss and we make up, and she comes to understand that she needs to co-operate.

• delilah
    delilah

I admit to giving each of my three children a slap on the hand, or on the clothed bee-hind when it was necessary, to tell them it was not acceptable to run away from me in a parking lot, or to run across 4 lanes of traffic to catch the ice cream truck( I was 4 months pregnant and my 2 year old did this,I almost had a heart attack). I do not agree with spankings that are fulled by anger, nor do I agree that a child should be beat. My mom raised us with a good spanking, when we needed it, but she used her hand. She did so, so that she knew she wouldn't really hurt us....and I can count on one hand how many times we got a spanking....My husband and I use reasoning, and time outs, as well as restriction, and loss of privileges as a way of punishments. It works, as does talking about the situation. We always give them hugs, and kisses, and reassure them of our love. It can work for a more peaceful and loving relationship for the entire family.

Delilah ( my dad preferred to use yelling and good beatings, thank god he was rarely home and we had a great , kind, loving and understanding mother).

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

No no no! I said I'm in to banking!

• minimus
    minimus

Aslap on the hand or bum is not, in my mind , necessarily wrong but it may be against the law.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Spare the rod and spoil the child

If you don’t spank children they’ll grow up disrespectful.

Note I never said to abuse them.

Hibiscus

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:If you don’t spank children they’ll grow up disrespectful.

Wow, a huge assertion from Hib.. surprise, surprise!

GBL

• Valis
    Valis
    :If you don’t spank children they’ll grow up disrespectful.

Stupidest thing I heard all day..If your intent is to have a child respect you and you spank them to that end then it is abuse no matter how you look at it..Jesus F*&^&*() CHRIST how simple is that to understand?...hibiscuss come over here so I can beat the crap out of you...that way you will respect me...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

breathe Valis breathe....

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Wow, a huge assertion from Hib.. surprise, surprise!

GBL

Why do you say that?

Hibiscus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit