most hated analogies

by googlemagoogle 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

we've already got some "most hated" threads on here, like "most hated bible verse" or "most hated meeting", don't know if there's another thread on metaphors/analogies.

one of the most used analogies used is the "jehovah's like a loving father holding your hand and leading you, you can trust him like a little child trusts his father". i don't know how often i heard that one.

the problem is, i HATED my father. my father hit me, my father was injust, my father was a hypocrite. while serving as a ms in the congregation and smile at everyone, at home we'd have a big mess. i hated him to the extent that the word "father" was loaded with all the disgust i felt for him.

so comparing jehovah to a father did not really have the wanted effect on me.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I have woken up recently to the whole 'sheep' thing. They want you to be a sheep, they want you just to follow without questions. Thats another embedded trait they instill in you early. Because then, as a sheep, you are easy to manipulate, they have more control.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

yes, the sheep... everytime i tell an elder that most JWs are brainless zombies who don't question anything and simply follow, he sais: jesus knew that, that's why he compares us with sheep.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Well you know what I'm gonna say:

girls in puberty = cows

• lucky
    lucky

I've always hated (and even more since I left) the analogy of the rowboat. If you don't keep rowing forward, you will start drifting backwards.

• gringojj
    gringojj

I was annoyed by this one..... "a child cant play in the road, the child doesnt know why it cant play in the road, but we know. There are many things we cannot do, maybe we dont know why, but we are like children to jehobee".

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

"a child cant play in the road, the child doesnt know why it cant play in the road, but we know. There are many things we cannot do, maybe we dont know why, but we are like children to jehobee".

and we surely also can't tell the child why it can't play on the road, can we? stupid...

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

the "every house must have a builder, therefore the universe must have had a builder too."

this analogy fails to take into account the computational nature of the universe and biological life on earth. it misrepresents nature has being the product of blue print design, when we know that it is quite different. computer programs executing algorithms.

of course, they don't WANT to see the computational nature of nature. that would make god a programmer, not a designer. and we all know that programmers are fat, lazy, albeit smart, slobs.

and actually, based on the structure and history of DNA, for example, it's fairly obvious that god, should he exist, be extremely lazy.

"in the beginning was the command line".

TS

• Confession
    Confession

Rebel8, I'm still chuckling over your comment...

girls in puberty = cows

LOL. What are you talking about?

It's funny how, as time elapses, I remember the little flashpoints I used to experience. The sheep thing used to get me too. I used to think, "Why do we keep saying we're looking for "sheep-like, teachable" people? I mean, aren't there lots of different personalities? Didn't Jehovah make all of them--and don't we need all of them? Just because someone doesn't easily submit to being "teachable" BY US, does that really mean Jehovah will reject them?"

• zulukai
    zulukai

"We"re like people in a life boat, the life boat is the organization and we cling to it because it's the safest place to be.".......I told one elder: 'It's the only life boat I know of where people inside are the sharks!!!'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit