most hated analogies

by googlemagoogle 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ludicrous, lol, Chris Vance, that's right. And you spelt it right. As you know, if you crawl to the centre of the merry-go-round, you get less dizzy.

I can see how an "artful deceiver" can have fun with this analogy. Ask the Witness, where is the merry-go-round going?

Another one of my "favorites" is the Titanic illustration. The "world" is blissfully unaware of impending disaster, partying and playing the band as the great "unsinkable" ship goes to it's doom.

Frankly, I think the Titanic illustration fits the WTBTS much better.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

slowly (gives freedoms slowly, or in my family, NEVER), then the spring will open up slowly and will stay in control...not springing about wildly.

Man, I hated, hated, hated that one.

Then there is the Org/Ark analogy,

the gangrene-infected-limb/lisabobeesa analogy....oh wait I think that was one my dad made up, not the Org. He should have been a WT writer...

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Hello?

Are we still doing this thread?

Anyway, I have narrowed down the hunt and found out that Fred Franz is the one who publicly referred to unmarried women as "cows" but I haven't found the exact context just yet.

Regarding the Spring Analogy, I always preferred the sexier version of a "Bar of Soap" that is that Children are like a Bar of Soap.

If you try to grip them too tightly you might either crush them or they may fly right out from your hand but hold them too loosely and they will slip right out also. You have to hold them just right.

I always saw this as a moderate approach to child rearing, a balance between being too restrictive and too liberal when it comes to a child's freedom and choices, etc. so I didn't find it very offensive. It also is kinda funny to me for some reason.

-Eduardo

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

'what is woman but a bag of bones and a hank of hair' - I cant think of enough vile expletives to let you know what I think to that quote or the --- --- ---- ----- ----- (more expletives) who quoted it from the platform

Plus I always thought goats got a bad rep in the bible. I thought goats were lovely - they always smile at you, they eat anything, theyre real friendly and clever. Why are they always doomed for destruction? It didnt seem fair. DONT CREATE EM IF YOU DONT LIKE EM.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

With you on the goat thing Katie.

(just teasing!)

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Aw c'mon, give a goat a break. Baaaaaahh

• PaulJ
    PaulJ
    The 'sheep' anology is important for the Witnesses because it's much easier to have the wool pulled over your eyes that way

Very good!!!

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I just remembered one! Remember when you were told about Sheep (good people) and Goats (bad people) Im sure at some point they tied in the fact the Goats butt (the thinking was that if you argue with a point someone is making you say 'But.....'- thus it was a goat-like trait.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit