"You guys are the most preachy atheists I've ever met!"

by GetBusyLiving 78 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

GBL:

Sorry if I come off sounding like an ass sometimes you guys.

Sorry, GBL, did you think you were unique in that regard?

Join the club

(btw, some of the Tsunami comments, by Fundamentalists, really p*ssed me off, too!)

• doogie
    doogie

hey LT:

Just remember this little fact, before ya go off like a loose cannon destroying other people's beliefs - there was another time in your experience when you were convinced you had it right...

but then on the flip side of the coin, i think because when we were JWs we bought the tripe hook-line-and-sinker, some (i was going to say *a lot of*, but i have no clue if that's true) EXes are almost TOO cautious to believe anything. everything is taken with such a large grain of salt that in their mind their is truly no such thing as a fact. everything is speculation and no one is to be trusted. surely there is a nice middle ground where fact is fact but speculation is speculation. i know it's taken (taking?...) me awhile to find that balance.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

the "abrahamic" belief-systems are not all that harmless... but the fact that they come in many colors and the fact that LT is posting on this thread and will tear me into pieces if i keep commenting on "christianity" will keep me from being preachy. at least for the moment.

and yes, i am a born again atheist too, calming down however.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Hey GBL, don't sweat it man, you are one of my favorite posters, love your sense of humor. As LT said, you don't have the corner on the market of being an ass, we all have that aspect of our personality.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    preach·y ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr
    adj. preach·i·er, preach·i·est
    Inclined or given to tedious and excessive moralizing; didactic.
    preach adv.
    preach n.

[ Download Now or Buy the Book ]
    Source : The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

preachy

adj : inclined to or marked by tedious moralization http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=preachy

Does this really describe you? When I think of preachy, I think of a person giving unsolicited advice, bringing up religious philosophy when discussion of that topic is unwanted, and being unyielding in their opinions. If a person brings up any controversial topic, they better be prepared to be rebutted. Sounds like your roommate just wants to say his/her opinion and not hear anything in response except acceptance and thanks. It is against normal etiquette to bring up religion unless a person has the type of relationship with the listener so that debate is welcomed.

wishy washy beliefs these days. I'm a reasonably happy-go-lucky guy but I become the dark cloud of atheism that can't help but roll eyes when ever, you know, I hear some girl at a party say that she doesn't believe in God but is very spiritual.

Just my $.02....

I really don't understand why people view atheism as being a dark cloud. It's a sad misunderstanding of what life really is all about.

If you feel a need to roll your eyes every time someone makes a comment you think is silly, then that may be your issue, not hers. You have been hurt by religion and it makes sense that this topic would bother you. People are free to be wishy washy or to believe in whatever supernatural force they wish. It doesn't hurt you, so lassiez faire (or however that is spelled). It may hurt them, it may not, but they're adults and that's their choice.

It is possible to be a spiritual person and not believe in God; it all depends upon how you define the concepts of "spirituality" and "God". Spirituality to me is a feeling of morality, a sense of purpose in life, and a sense of respect for the universe. God to me means the Christian God, since it was capitalized. Curious--why does that make you want to roll your eyes?

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Hey Rebel,

:Curious--why does that make you want to roll your eyes?

This is most definitely MY issue, I'm working on it. Mystical talk irritates me I guess. I think its possible to feel inspired and be open to possiblities without proclaiming oneself as "spiritual". I've been standing there at times listening to people talk about how the universe is connected and has meaning (based on absolutely nothing substantial) while getting that dreamy look that just makes me want to run screaming from the room in a blur of projectile vomit.

GBL

• rebel8
    rebel8

LOL! BTW, I consider myself an athiest that is spiritual (spiritual humanist actually--www.spiritualhumanism.org), although it has always made me want to roll my eyes when someone says they're "spiritual but don't believe in God".

I never really thought about why it annoyed me, but you put your finger on it! It's that glazed over eyes, let-me-say-a-cool-new-agey-catch-phrase-I-heard-without-putting-actual-thought-into-it-thing. People want to be spoon fed, to quote billygoat.

In college, there was a standard discussion in psychology courses about religion and mental illness. In Christian nations, it was purported (without much evidence) that certain mental illnesses were more prevalent and in other nations, others were more common...all supposedly because of religion. Students used to hear that and jump all over the first half.....Buddhism became popular and I had to hear over and over it was healthier because Christianity causes mental illness....tons of people claimed to be Buddhists after reading a few pages out of a book about Buddhism....blah, blah, blah. It was like they had shut their brains off.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Evangelical atheists or, fundamentalist atheists Sorry, i'll stop.

S

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

GBL, hon, I love you. You are really a terrific guy.

The pendulum swings from one extreme to the other. Funny thing about that is that those extremes really arent that different! And somewhere in the middle, the pendulum passes center... or truth... or reality.

Don't sweat it. Over time, it's only small stuff.

The fact that you're looking at yourself now is amazing! "Point a finger and three are pointing back at you" and you're looking at those pointing at you. It takes a long time for some people to even begin to understand that, if ever. You are far healthier than many.

Now, maybe an apology to the christian dogmatic you were so... dogmatic about? "Hey, man, I was a bit outta line trying to force my non-beliefs down your throat. It happens to be what I hate about fundies and here I was doing it myself." Only a suggestion, love.

Take care - you're doin' good!

Hug and love

Auntie B.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

rebel8 - I consider myself a Mystic Agnostic. I leave room open for proof of a "god" entity, but I believe that "god" entity does not wish to be nor deserves our worship. I do believe in the mystical. The stuff we have no other explanation for. I believe in Christ as much as I believe in Buddha. I happen to believe, but I believe in their teachings of unconditional love and enlightenment, and acceptance of all things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit