"You guys are the most preachy atheists I've ever met!"

by GetBusyLiving 78 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin
    He got stoned for the first time ever a few weeks ago and I screamed "GOD IS DEAD" in his face sporadically during a NIN concert DVD. Little things like that I think have been maybe getting to him.

LMAO!! That is sooo naughty! Well, that might have something to do with it.

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

:He got stoned for the first time ever a few weeks ago and I screamed "GOD IS DEAD" in his face sporadically during a NIN concert DVD. Little things like that I think have been maybe getting to him.

OMG, that is hilarious! I love even more that you refer to screaming "God is Dead!" at a stoned fundy during a NIN dvd as a "little thing". Hilarious. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

In fairness to the guy, there's no worse bunch of "I've gotta be right"'s than the ex-thisthatortheother lot.

ExJWs do tend to be the most militant when they believe they have something to say, though. It was interesting that you contrasted yourself with "normies". That may have been a fairly accurate description.

Just remember this little fact, before ya go off like a loose cannon destroying other people's beliefs - there was another time in your experience when you were convinced you had it right...

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:Just remember this little fact, before ya go off like a loose cannon destroying other people's beliefs - there was another time in your experience when you were convinced you had it right...

Absolutely true LT. So you've noticed ex-Dubs tend to be more preachy about their beliefs hey, not just me?

GBL

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sorry, GBL, did you think you were unique in that regard?

I mostly keep my trap shut. That would also explain why I've never yet got into a theological debate at a Fest. I'd rather just enjoy people for just being people, and save that kind of rhetoric for here

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    So you've noticed ex-Dubs tend to be more preachy about their beliefs hey, not just me?

I've noticed this about ex-Witnesses too. I am one of the few Christians on this board, but I work hard to not spout religious dogma to anyone. I have my beliefs and I have reasons for them. Want to know what they are? Then ask me and we'll have a great dialogue. Not interested? Don't worry...I'm not shoving anything down your throat. That's one thing that I don't like about some of the religious conversations with some people on this board (that shall remain unnamed) because I don't like their arrogance in their presentation. They are highly intelligent, educated, and well read, but the "flavor" of their writings are peppered with patronizing platitudes that do nothing to engage me in a conversation.

One of the things I'm slowly learning: communication does not mean talking/screaming/yelling or even repeating to get a point across. Just because I speak louder doesn't mean I'm being heard. Communication means understanding where your audience is and meeting them there. If I do not talk/write in a way that engages them in a conversation and leaves the lines of communication open, I might as well not even debate on any topic, let alone something I feel passionate about. I've shut down their ears with my approach and nobody WANTS to hear me...no matter how right I might be.

Good communication is an art. And it's NOT something I learned at the Theocratic Ministry School.

Andi

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Mouth closed.

Eyes open.

Ears open.

= wisdom

Eyes closed.

Ears closed.

Mouth open.

= gobshite.

HB

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Before I attack someone's beliefs I always ask myself what do I have to replace it with? Do I have something better for them? If they are in a destructive cult then the answer is definitely yes, freedom to be an individual who lives their life making their own decisions and is not subject to abusive teachings or tactics. But if it is say a person in some vanilla non-invasive faith, or perhaps they say they are just spiritual, then I don't want to mess with that if they find comfort in it and it makes their life better because I don't have anything better to offer them. Hammering them into believing their is no God, or higher power, or benevolent aliens, what good does that do? Have I improved their life by stripping them of these beliefs? Unless those beliefs were destructive, and I don't find belief in God to be inherently destructive, then I don't think trying to convince a person God doesn't exist serves any purpose.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Been thinking about this post. I have been upset with Christians and people in general who seem to think they have it all figured out. I guess its an issue I'm having personally and I need to just let people think how they feel is best. It's the additude this guy has toward things that really got to me, he saw the whole Tsunami in Indonesia stuff with kids washing up on shore and said something that pissed me off and I think that really got in my head. It's not that I think I have the world all figured out for damn well sure. Anyways, as LT pointed out there is a distinction I have towards "normies", perhaps it's that I either feel I'm enlightened or totally alone. I'm not too sure yet and either way it's probably not healthy. As Big Dog said, why try to impose the idea that their isnt a God on someone who has a harmless belief system. For all I know he could be right somehow. Sorry if I come off sounding like an ass sometimes you guys.

GBL

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hey GBL...

Don't even think that... He we all have our emotions and feelings and thought patterns to process after being a JW. I think what your doing is a fairly normal EX JW response.

And as for this...

Sorry if I come off sounding like an ass sometimes you guys.

pfft... not at all. Actually I personally usually find you very funny and enjoy reading your posts serious or light hearted...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit