high gas prices? bah!

by doogie 58 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie
    When gas is objectively expensive it will show in your car industry.

that's true, but unfortunately, our domestic manufacturers (GM) missed the boat on the patents on hybrid technology. so now there are basically no domestic hybrid vehicles. i contacted a local toyota dealership about hybrid availability and he said they had at least a 6-8 month waiting list. hybrids are in demand here, there is just no supply. the japanese patents run out within the next couple of years, and then i think we'll see a LOT more and varied models of hybrids here in the states.

• shera
    shera

It ALL sucks! The gas prices everywhere just SUCKS!!!

• JH
    JH

Soon we will do what our ancestors did....

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Kitten, you're right about the relationship between gas prices and SUV's. I know several people who are trying to unload their large SUV's infavor of a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle. The funny part about Americans and their SUV's is that very few actually use their 4x4's for what they're intended for, off-roading. We have an entire culture of soccer-moms driving around in gas guzzling Hummers, and Suburbans. And all they're doing is grocery shopping, and dropping off the kids. I have yet to see a Hummer H2 in the backcountry when I'm offroading. Yet go to any shopping center and you'll see 3 of them. That's part of the reason gas prices are escalating, DEMAND. If everyone in America wasn't using 200 gallons of gas every week, demand would go down, and prices would stabalize. We have created our own problem.

• JH
    JH
    If everyone in America wasn't using 200 gallons of gas every week, demand would go down, and prices would stabalize. We have created our own problem.

I use 5 gallons a week...and even if we didnt use as much gas, the Chinese would take up the slack.

• doogie
    doogie
    even if we didnt use as much gas, the Chinese would take up the slack.

it's not like there is some global total allotment on any given day/week/month and that total is divided up between all the countries. demand is determined after the fact. each country uses what they use. if the US suddenly had no need for oil anymore the global demand would drop by 1/3. china wouldn't say, "oh look! there's more oil available! sign us up for an extra million barrels!", leaving the global demand unchanged.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

The Chinese are definately using way more gas than anyone expected. My friend works for BP in Abu Dhabi and he says its a big issue for them.

I guess they just want a shot at a developed world like weve got.

And I agree about the offroaders. I TOTALLY pisses me of when I see school run mums dropping their darlings off in armoured tanks that look like they should withstand a rhino attack. Out gets some skinny sickly looking little kid thats never seen the light of day. Its truly pathetic.

We dont need these wannabe / pretending to be lumberjacks vehicles. Its just greed and excess.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Part of the rise in price has been attributed to demand. Plain and simple. The US does not have the refinery space to supply the high current demand. In addition, it is expected that prices will stabilize or decrease this fall, when demand drops. The point is simple. If the majority of Americans would purchase more fuel efficient cars, demand would fall. When demand falls, prices fall. Simple economics. China's high demand is also a factor. However, China's demand has increased because AMERICAN companies have outsourced most of their manufacturing to China in the past four years. So there again we have created our own problem.

As Americans we need to stop being so greedy, and start thinking about the future of our economy, environment, and government. I personally think the rise in gas prices is awesome! It's wonderful for the environment, and it's going to force American car companies to rethink vehicles. Hybrids are the wave of the future. As demand for them increases, production will increase. That means JOBS people. Good, high paying jobs. Something this country has been sheeding over the past 4 years. (Thank you Pres. Bush).

• shera
    shera

$1.12 a litre now....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit