high gas prices? bah!

by doogie 58 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Maybe the boys in Detroit will now start to design more fuel efficient cars

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

So gas is 4.55 over there! You can jog across holand in fifteen minutes! You don't even need a car! My commute to work is 33 miles ONE WAY I drive a beat up old jeep it's not much let me tell you! I spend more in gas every six months then I spent TO BUY THE CAR! Cars with better mileage are being made but the hybrids are 25-30k I can't afford that!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

The real issue here is not how much gas is but what fossil fuels are doing to the environment. Also it is time that we look at alternate fuels as it won't be long and we will have exhausted our supply of fossil fuels and we will be forced to look for alternate energy sources. Why not do this now than wait till the last moment to do it.

Will

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

In Michigan, gas prices can soar 20 to 30 cents in one day. When you pay that much more to fill a tank, it's sock in the kisser. Right now? Regular is $2.59. That's the highest I have ever seen it here.

To GW Bush: are you happy yet?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    So gas is 4.55 over there!

Yes and how does that translate into US dollars?

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

To those Europeans who don't understand what we Yanks are moaning about....

I work in the city, but I live in a nice(ish) neighborhood in another town 20 miles (32km) from where my office is.

I live that far away because, a)it's quieter, b) infrastructure is newer, c) the school system is miles above in quality than the one within the city limits.

So here I am, driving a Kia 4 cyl sedan that used to cost me $12 to fill when I first bought it, and now it costs me $24. By comparison, my income certainly hasn't doubled in the same five years. All my other expenses are going up as well, but the alarming rate of increase in gas is putting a pinch on me.

I feel sorry for the poor bozo makin less than $6 an hour, driving a POS car that burns gas faster than setting it on fire would (because it's all he can afford to buy) having to cope with this.

Yeah, Europeans can feel all smug about whiny Americans, but we have more places we like to go to in the evenings than the local boozer next door, and we just can't hop on a bus to get there.

• FairMind
    FairMind

The circumstances behind rising Gas prices are far more serious than most of us know. The Oil Fields have peaked; meaning that while world demand will increase the ability of the oil producers to meet the demand will diminish. The ramifications of this is ever increasing high prices for everything in which petroleum plays a part, gas, fertilizer, electricity, production of goods, goods made from petroleum (plastics, etc.) and the list is endless. Do a Google search of "Life After The Oil Crisis" or Peak Oil and read what you find. It's scary and it's mostly true. The following is a snippet I copied from "Life After The Oil Crisis":

"The long term ramifications of Peak Oil on our way of life are nothing short of mind blowing. As we slide down the downslope slope of the global oil production curve, we may find ourselves slipping into what some scientists are calling a “post-industrial stone age.” Ultimately, industrial civilization may end up being little more than a “blip” in the course of human history."

"“Is the Bush Administration Aware of Peak Oil?”

Yes.

In late 1999, Dick Cheney stated:

By some estimates, there will be an average of two-percent annual growth in global oil demand over the years ahead, along with, conservatively, a three-percent natural decline in production from existing reserves. That means by 2010 we will need on the order of anadditional 50 million barrels a day. "

Friends, what we are now witnessing is the beginning of the end of a world as most of us know it. There may be nothing that can prevent what IS GOING TO OCCUR but knowing why may give us the sense of acceptance we will need. Of course all of this is my opinion but it is an informed opinion.

FM

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Whilst I understand the dilemma, you really have little to complain about, compared to some other places:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/95605/1.ashx

You pay for lifestyle choices.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

It hit $2.59 here at the stations on the Interstate. $2.43 at a station close by my house.

I'm just wondering what this is doing to the pioneers? Buying gas for service when you work at a minimum (or a little more) wage job must really suck. And you know the other witnesses aren't even thinking about giving them any kind of gas money.

CountryGuy

• JH
    JH

If we run out of gas, I'll buy a horse. and get to the apostofests that way...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit