Dogma - The Movie (Directed by Kevin Smith)

by Black Man 24 Replies latest jw friends

• feelinglost
    feelinglost

Dogma is probably one of my favorite Kevin Smith movies. i think everyone should watch it at least once. And then the JW's should definitely hear these quotes:

Serendipity: When are you people going to learn? It's not about who's right or wrong. No denomination's nailed it yet, and they never will because they're all too self-righteous to realize that it doesn't matter what you have faith in, just that you have faith. Your hearts are in the right place, but your brains need to wake up.

Loki: Church laws are fallible because they're created by man.

This one is good too:Bethany: What's he like?
    Metatron: God? Lonely. But funny. He's got a great sense of humor. Take sex for example. There's nothing funnier than the ridiculous faces you people make mid-coitus.
    Bethany: Sex is a joke in heaven?
    Metatron: The way I understand it, it's mostly a joke down here, too.

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

Absolutely love that movie. I too love the exchange between Matt Damon and the nun in the airport.

"What I don't understand is that you know for a fact that there is a God, you've been in his presence, but I just overheard you convince that nun that he doesn't exist. Why?"

"I just love f#%@ing with the clergy."

Priceless. I watched it for the first time while still a witness and thought it was freaking hilarious, the other JW's I watched it with were very squirmy throughout. In retrospect that was probably an indication of the direction I was heading.

Kind of funny, I was hanging out with some of my neighbors today, and one of the guys said that when he was in kindergarten, he forged a note from his mom saying that she couldn't leave the house due to an injury and that it was ok that he bought cigarettes for her. And the guy at the gas station actually sold them to him! Instantly made me think of Clerks. And if we're talking about Kevin Smith, we can't forget Mallrats. Another classic.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I saw it last night for the first time. It didn't really work for me.

Oh there were moments and scenes that made a point, but overall I just didn't care for it. A bit too angry for my taste. And although language doesn't bother me, I wish they could have found another expletive besides the big F bomb. That got boring after a while. As usual Matt Damon did a better job and was more interesting than Affleck. I did like Alanis Morrissette as God though and I have to admit Jay and Silent Bob grew on me.

Chris

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I loved it. I think Metatron (Alan Rickman) had the best lines, but the whole movie (F-word notwithstanding) was very wittily done.

Metatron: [Describing why God doesn't talk to people directly] Were you to hear God's true voice, your mind would cave in and your heart would explode inside your chest. We went through five Adams before we figured that one out.

Metatron: Tell a person that you're the Metatron and they stare at you blankly. Mention something out of a Charlton Heston movie and suddenly everybody is a theology scholar.

Two thumbs up. Totally.

Nina

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I love Bud Cort. Cant get enough of the movie "Harold and Maude".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit