Suitable careers for JW children to aim for!

by Gill 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

I'm sure most of us are aware that the only major growth area for religion these days is in underdeveloped countries.

Immigration from Mexico to the U.S. brings the sort of converts the Watchtower Society has an eye on.

Unfortunately, the low wages offered for the "preferred" career of the average JW in good standing makes them a wage slave their entire life. They cannot afford insurance for their children. The kids go without proper medical, dental and social needs being met. The downward spiral quickens around them. This keeps them dependant on a RESCUE operation sponsored by the Watchtower Society in the form of a promised Armageddon. But, to be in line for rewards the prospective Jehovah-welfare program recipient has to stay in good graces with the Governing Body.

Educated people, on the other hand, become LESS dependant. Educated people earn more and learn more and build their own lives without reliance on secondary aid from airy promises hawked on streetcorners by wild-eyed magazine salemen.

Educated people think for themselves. Thinking people question outrageous claims made by magazine publishers which do not meet minimum standards of evidence.

Educated people have the mental health to avoid obligating themselves to a life determined by the whims of old men sitting around a boardroom in Brooklyn concocting new ways of skinning the same stinky old dead cat of 1914 and Armageddon Soon prophecies.

Education is public enemey #1 for religious fanatics bent on world control through coercion and empty promises.

You better believe they want tired and empty people warming their butts in the local Kingdom Hall's folding chairs night after night. "Promise them anything and keep them busy", should be stapled to the platform where the hollow-eyed speakers parrot trite monlogues into vacant ears.

A suitable career means "suitable for our continued control of you". But, you have to have a sharp eye to read between the lines.

T.

• undercover
    undercover

The article that the WTS quoted was a good article on how not everyone needs a 4 year college education. And that's true, not everyone does need a 4 year, major college/university education to pursue their career choice.

But, isn't that decision up to each individual and their parents about how to go about pursuing a higher education and for what purpose? The "worldly" article doesn't presume to tell people how to decide. It just gives some points to consider.

The WTS is trying to discourage all JWs, young and old, from pursuing a full-blown college education. They presume to tell people that they do not need a college education. Now, how could they know this? How do they know the potential of each and every person comptemplating college that reads their publication? The high school graduate who is set to work at his dad's car repair shop and will one day inherit it may not need a 4 year degree, but some tech classes and continuing education in the automotive field will help keep the business up to date. Another high school grad, who has an interest in being a doctor and has shown the aptitude for it would be wasting his/her talents by not pursuing a career in being a doctor. Where does any one organization have the insight to be able to tell everyone not to pursue some course of action when they know nothing of each persons potential or circumstances?

We sling the "cult" word around quite a bit on this board, but when you read articles like the ones the WTS prints about college education, you can't help but think that since they are trying so hard to control the lives of their followers. Like it has already been pointed out, it's easier to keep people in line and obeying if they are limited in education and not trained to think for themselves.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Undercover:

They're not just trying to control the lives of their followers they are acting in their own self interest in demonizing higher education.

They are trying to convince the dumbed-down dub that it is in HIS or HER best interest not to go to college - when the reality is it is in THEIR best interest for them not to go.

Utter deception!

• undercover
    undercover
    They are trying to convince the dumbed-down dub that it is in HIS or HER best interest not to go to college - when the reality is it is in THEIR best interest for them not to go.

yep...you're right. It's a deception that isn't easy to see from inside though. Once out, it becomes obvious, but it's so hard to try to convince a believer.

• JT
    JT

The wt has never told jw not to go to college, instead the wt creates a culture within its organization where it is frowned or looked down upon,

over the years the culture has moved back and forth, there was a time when i was a kid where a man would not be appointed or lose his title if his kids went to college

the wt has never encouraged it brightest youth to pursue their dreams and ambiitions, the most the wt will concede is a trade job, working with ones hands,

when you combine the wt articles along with the manner in which the co and elders will develople the material, it is clear that only immature youth chose college over pioneering

as a black man it is most sad, i asked a group of black jw who knocke on my door about 3 weeks ago about college and they danced around it like we see some here

so i asked the 2 guys , how long have you been a jw, 21 and 28 yrs, they said

so i told him one thing i do know about jw kids is that due to all the studying they are expected to do, they typically do well in school and often graduate at the top of the class with even scholarship offers, they both smiled and grinned,

then i asked being that is the case that so many jw young folks are excellent students,

"Have you as a Black Man, every encouraged one of these talented youth that you appear to be so proud of to go on a become a dentist, lawyer, doctor, etc.

i asked him in all the years how many Young black men and women have you personally encouraged to used their god given talent in this fashion?

and they both admited that they have not ever encouraged a young person to go to college

then i asked them how many jw do you persnally know have encouraged young folks to go to college

and then they went into,well that is a personal matter, for the family, and i said o for sure, but you mean to tell me that somehow you would be looked at badly for telling a straight A jw youth to take the 4 yr schoarshipped offered -

you could see the expression on their faces as they realized just how foolish they acutally sounded

the point is not whether one goes to college or not trade school or not

it is like everything else in wt, it is always in the context of "Mature christians do so andso"

the wt has use classical conditioning to their advantage where like Pavols dogs, bell = food

the wt has created a culture where it is either you love god and you will do this or your love is kinda weak for god and you will do this

when you combine just the wt articles, talks, drama, exp, skits, etc all dealing with education, the picture is clear the wt as a religion doesn't think much of any thing beyond a 2 yr school

medical, law , scientist, etc no way baby- it has only been in the last few years that we have seen more jw kids going to school without being hasled to death, unlike many of us back in the 70' 80s

i recall the co telling us in an elder meeting that the wt made the mistake of telling jw that it was a personal matter for a family to decide and they should not be judged and as he put it the flood gates opened and jw kids were flocking to college,

then the wt came back and added ONLY if you plan on pioneering can you go to college, but just to go to collegefor the love of education and knowledge please you must be kidding

and now with the summer drama the lastest wt article the harder stand is coming back

it is amazing to see the struggle at bethel of the old guard and the younger members of the editioral staff as they all fight to get stuff approved for print

it is like a blininking light as the wt stated once that sums it up nicely about their views:

"Pioneering versus going to college-which is the better course? 'Before leaving high school,' this young man in

So by guiding their children away from the so-called 'higher' education of today, these parents spare their children exposure to an increasingly demoralizing atmosphere, and at the same time prepare them for life in a new system as well." {AWAKE Jun 8 1967 38}

***Look atthe date, should not college be worst today than in 67, so if it was so demoralizing in 67 what about 2005--smile

and my all time favorite:

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things.

Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers.

{AWAK May 22 1969 15}}

• JT
    JT

"Pioneering versus going to college-which is the better course? '
    Before leaving high school,' this young man in California says,
    'one of my problems was whether to go to college or not. I remember
    the day quite well; my father sat down and gave me a long talk.

He
    pointed out the shortness of time, and the critical days we are
    living in. About the time I would get out of college this system
    of things may be ended. I would have accomplished nothing; probably
    even lose my life. So I decided to pioneer.' Perhaps some of you
    fathers should have a heart-to-heart talk with your teen-agers."
    - Kingdom Ministy, February 1971 - "A Letter from the Pioneers."
    ++++++++++

when my wife and i started college at almost 40 the class was asked why they are back in school so my wife and i told each class we have taken that we were jw-

and of course everyone is shocked to know how jw view college ed- so what we would do is provide them with ton of wt articles , km articles, and personal exp of the conventions we attended growing up as jw kids so by the time we reached 18 WE KNEW WHAT TO DO

if you ever want to see folks mouth drop on the floor, then share your exp about the life of being a jw

during the class almost every class had a student who would say

"You know what, I had a jw kid in my class or my bro class who was TOP in his class and he turned down college and we never really understood why except that he was a jw "

so for nonjw to know and understand where the influence to make such choices come from gives them an insight into the jw that many have never seen in their lives and they can't beleive it many time

so with the net and info just a mouse click away, the more education population around the world will continue to be harder to recuite and keep

thru out history, keeping folks uneducated has always been the most powerful tool for controling the masses

this is why as soon as a country is over thrown the first ones who must die or go to jail are those who represent the intellectual, your peasant farmer will never for themost part be viewed as a threat unlike those who can challenge and question the ruling authority-

and wt is no different. the best jw is an uneducated jw bottomline

• Dune
    Dune

I dunno...I heard of doctor and lawyer JW's in bethel. I also know a sister who had my major and just left to pioneer, but regardless she is quite intelligent. My thing is. No one gives a D@mn about you. People talk and talk and they look down on my because i go to college. But my reasoning is, witnesses talk, but when push comes to shove, they'll tell you "Jehovah will help you", go on about their day and shake their heads when you need another job to make ends meet. Well i figured. I'll help Jehovah find me a job faster by going to college. I'm more likely to get hired with a college degree than a certificate in HVAC. But as someone noted earlier, college IS dangerous for the blind JW youth because they teach you to think. They teach you to question everything you believe, from religion to government. And i guess thats why i'm here now...

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

The Watchtower writes about what is wants (for their own ends/means) But the general dub

who si growing up just does what they want.

the ones who listen to the WT go to Bethel or are Gilead graduates

• JV
    JV

Dune, I think it depends on what your studying that determines whether or not you get a job after your finished, and where you live as well. Where I live HVAC is a ticket to a good paying job. Some degrees get you jobs like, nursing, engineering etc... and some courses/degrees are useless, the type of courses like "pre ancient anglo saxon american studies" stuff like that in my opinon won't get you a job, but there's nothing wrong with that. The fact of the matter is that nobody should tell you what kind of job's you can and can't have, that's crossing the line. Don't murder, steal, cheat, it's in the bible, they're nice, they're protections, i'm all for them. But where in the bible does it say that you can't go to Harvard?? I'm in college and let's just say that I might as well just go out and get leprosy, cause that's how i'm treated.

JT is right on the mark when he says that the WTO has never said "don't go to college" rather they created the atmosphere of looking down on people who go to college. The more and more i think about it the more i'm coming to realize that we're following the dictates of men rather than the bible. One of our local needs was about dying hair more than one colour for men (petty eh?). Did you know that brothers shouldn't die their hair more than one colour because apparently frosting your tips started out in the gay community and we wouldn't have anything to with that.

Anyways it's two am and i'm rambling so i'll get off my soapbox now

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    In the cult,your told to not do either,make money or do what you love.
    Nope. False. You're wrong. I was a JW till I was 25 and never was told that. There were some JWs that had secular careers they enjoyed as well as plenty of people that "made money." I doubt you are a retard so stop making retarded, knee-jerk comments and start thinking. Yes, t-h-i-n-k-i-n-g.

OUCH! This was a rather rude way to make a first response. The same point could have been made in a way that didnt involve a personal attack - maybe like this: 'well in my experience I was never told that when I was a witness. I knew witnesses that both enjoyed their job and earned money'. (may your utterances be seasoned with salt?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit