Suitable careers for JW children to aim for!

by Gill 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

I was told not to go to school--dropped out in tenth grade

I was "encouraged" on how I should wear my hair.

I was not allowed because of the cult to enjoy many social events I would have liked to.

Have you ever heard the gay ikllustration that the CO's give.It go's a little something like this"you wouldn't trade in the truth for a million dollars would you?,but I bet some of you would for time and a half at work on a sunday."

I was taught to move to crooklyn and waste my life for 40 $ a month.

I have 3 sisters and a brother,me and my brother diodn;t finish high school,because no one gave a shit.2 of my sisters that are out of school have not been encouraged to go to colledge.

My older sister got married to,you guessed it,a carpet cleaner when she was 19.Thanks borg!

My overgeneralisations are my reality asshole.

Oh ,and my sister is now divorcing her mentally abusive ,brainwashed husband.

They are a hypocritical cult who don't believe the same thing from city to city.

• logansrun
    logansrun
    My overgeneralisations are my reality asshole.

They certainly are.

Look, you can stay mired in the past, think your life is "awful" and engage in whining for the rest of your life or you can work to move on, live in the present moment (with an eye to the future) and realize that things are not as bad as you think them. I hope you choose the latter.

B.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

Hey,guess what,how old were you when your personal fog lifted.I read your first posts about how you were 26 and doing everythin"short of being an elder".I was 18 when I left,and my family is the only reason I still talk about this cult.So while you were kissing co's ass and being a wannabe elder,I was living my happy little life outside of cult control,so who's really smarter,You and all your fancy rhetoric and circular thinking,or me ,a "miserable ex JW" who got out alot sooner than you did.

STP

• M.J.
    M.J.

Same ol' thing.

Awake! 71 6/8 pp. 3-8 Second Thoughts About a College Education ***

Second

Thoughts About a College Education

IN TIMES past, most people felt that the way to success and happiness was by getting a college education. But now many are having second thoughts about this.

What is responsible for the changing attitude? A combination of factors that were not so obvious a decade or two ago. These factors have now built up to the point where ‘higher’ education is in a state of crisis in many countries.

One of the most comprehensive studies on the problems facing education was made recently by the Carnegie Corporation in the United States. A participant, Charles Silberman, editor and former college teacher, said of the study: "When we began, I thought the severest critics of the schools were overstating things. But now I think they were understating them."

Inadequate

Courses

One area of criticism has to do with the study courses of many colleges. Some educators feel that often the courses do not prepare youths for the fields they will be entering, or for life in general.

For instance, fundamental to the entire education structure is the training of the teachers. But of this vital area Mr. Silberman stated: "I have yet to meet a teacher in the middle-class suburban school who considered his preparation even remotely adequate. On the contrary, the great majority agree with the judgment of Seymour Sarason of Yale, that ‘the contents and procedures of teacher education frequently have no demonstrable relevance to the actual teaching task.’"

This same criticism is also leveled at other fields of education, not just teacher training. Too often courses are studied that have little or no relationship to what the student will be doing after he graduates. That is why many educators feel that, for a liberal arts degree in particular, more emphasis should be placed on how to learn rather than on learning facts that will never be used. But that takes considerable skill on the part of teachers. And as the Carnegie report shows, teachers themselves admit to being unprepared.

Also, what makes the matter more complex is that the average teacher is more and more unable to give students the personal attention they need. Why? "in the huge colleges of today, the student is lost in a maze of fellow students. The days when teachers had small classes and carried on question-and-answer sessions with about a dozen students at a time have been superseded by crowded conditions. Classes are large, campuses are congested like the streets of big cities, dormitories are cramped and some are far from quiet for study purposes."—U.S. News & World Report.

Thus, colleges increasingly resemble huge factories turning out graduates unprepared, or uncertain, as to their life’s work.

Financial

Troubles

Instead of more teachers and better facilities being available, the situation is reversing. Why is this so? Dartmouth College’s president John G. Kemeny answers: "Higher education, both public and private, is facing its most serious financial crisis in history."

The costs of operating colleges rise swiftly, but income does not. Thus, many colleges have had to cut back personnel and facilities at the very time when expansion is needed. Already 500 American colleges are in deep financial difficulty. Twice as many are headed that way. "Some small private colleges have already folded for lack of funds, and others are in danger of collapsing. Almost all public universities are just barely scraping by. And the biggest and richest and most prestigious institutions are finding themselves deep in the red," says The Wall Street Journal.

Princeton foresees a deficit of over $2,000,000 this year, Columbia’s deficit for the school year beginning in autumn 1969 was $11,000,000, with 1970’s even larger. Yale’s deficits in recent school years have run as follows: 1967—$300,000; 1968—$900,000; 1969—$1,250,000; and 1970 an estimated $1,750,000. Yale’s president, Kingman Brewster, Jr., warns: "If the present shrinkage of funds were to continue . . . we would have to either abandon the quality of what we’re doing, abandon great discernible areas of activity or abandon the effort to be accessible on the merits of talent, not of wealth or of race or of inheritance."

Of course, not all colleges have severe financial difficulties. But increasing numbers of them do. Also, the cost to each student is skyrocketing. That is why some parents are asking themselves searching questions as to the advisability of sending their children to costly institutions that have such a clouded future with no improvement in sight.

Violence

and Cynicism

Campus disorder is another factor damaging to ‘higher’ education. Colleges throughout the world have erupted in violence over various issues such as the Vietnam war, nationalism, racial injustice and the role of the college itself.

College youths have strong opinions. Some do not hesitate to make their opinions known even if it means violence and revolt. This has often disrupted classroom procedure. In the United States, "the 1969-70 school year closed last spring with six students dead, dozens injured in campus uprisings, with 125 schools shut down for varying periods through student strikes, with higher education facing its most severe challenge, a struggle for its existence," reported New York’s Sunday News. Some parents and students demanded a refund of their tuition because classes were not held.

In a study of campus disorders, a government commission said: "We find ominous and shocking reports that students are laying in supplies of weapons, and that others are preparing to take the law into their own hands against protestors."

So in the case of many young folks, college is providing another kind of education, an education in revolt and violence. Many are the parents who sent their children to college with high hopes, only to be shocked to see the way they turned out.

When colleges opened in the autumn of 1970, officials held their breath. However, there was not as much violence as in the previous year. Why not? Those close to the students feel that many of them have sunk into a mood of deep cynicism, having lost all faith in their government, their elders and school officials to bring about meaningful change.

Experts warn that such profound cynicism, although resulting in a quieter campus for a while, may turn out to be far more dangerous in the long run. In another crisis, that cynicism may turn into action much more severe than anything yet experienced.

What

Moral Climate?

Violence and rebellion are not the only kind of revolutionary activity going on in college. There is another kind of revolution spreading. This has to do with living arrangements. Increasingly, men and women are being permitted to share the same dormitories without supervision. In other places they are often free to visit each other’s rooms at any hour of the day or night.

A few educators have concluded that this does not lead to a lowering of sexual morality. For instance, when dismayed parents asked about the propriety of coeducational dormitories in the college their daughter was attending, an official of the college answered: "Did it ever occur to you that boys in your daughter’s dorm may look upon her as a sister instead of as simply a sex object?"

Such a view is naïve in the extreme. To think that today’s young men and women, reared in permissiveness, will be put together in the same house without supervision and then regard each other only as brother and sister is incredible, a sheer fantasy.

Some adults feel that if the students have not learned right from wrong before going to college, then it is too late once they get there. But even if they have learned what is right, the solid Bible principle holds true that "bad associations spoil useful habits." (1 Cor. 15:33) Under the pressure of circumstances, being around other young men and women who see nothing wrong with loose sexual conduct, youths with previously high moral standards can have them corrupted.

Of course, some school officials, parents and students do not care about high sexual morality. But if you are a parent with a child in high school, thinking about sending him or her to college, do you care? If you do you must face this hard fact: without a doubt, college tends to corrupt sexual morality. Ask those who have been there. If they are truthful, you will rarely find one who says his morals have been improved.

Dr. L. T. Woodward, author, and graduate of New York University Medical School, says that while sexual immorality has increased very rapidly in high school, "sex in college is even more widespread. It is possible to interview whole platoons of college seniors, both male and female, and find only a small percentage of students who have never had sexual intercourse." He noted that while many enter college as virgins, "by the time they graduate, four years later, a very high percentage of the college students will no longer be virgins."

The truth of the matter is inescapable: for young, impressionable students, perhaps away from home for the first time, college is usually devastating to sexual morals. There is no reason whatever to believe your child will be the exception.

The Drug Scene

The disintegration of sexual morals is made worse by the current drug craze. Most students in college have at least experimented with some kind of drug. An increasing number turn to the deadly heroin habit.

At one college campus in New York, Marshall Berman, an assistant professor in political science, stated: "What I think is involved is that a lot of young people are eating their hearts out watching their lives disintegrate so they take heroin so they can watch the disintegration and be amused."

So common has drug taking become in college that the New York Times says: "With the same openness that some students . . . do homework on the major lawn of the City College campus, others congregate there to buy and use heroin. . . . the presence of users in certain areas, such as the lawn and the cafeteria, is dramatically visible. During a 15-minute period after the noon class change, 12 people were observed making purchases."

To Be Expected

True, similar attitudes toward violence, sex and drugs exist in cities and nations at large. But in college it is more concentrated and comes at an age when young people tend to experiment and are away from home restraint.

The result? A tidal wave of behavior that few parents want. There is a personality change that takes place that often drives parents to tears. The young are exposed to a climate of violence, cynicism, sexual immorality with its accompanying venereal disease and unwanted pregnancies, disillusionment and a turning to drugs. Is that the kind of climate you want for your children?

Yet, what else could you expect? An atheistic philosophy prevails in nearly all colleges. They are dominated by evolutionary thinking, which makes people more animalistic in their viewpoint. There is little or no restraining force or guide for their lives. This leads to abandonment of the Bible’s high principles that have proved to be such a benefit in the lives of God-fearing persons, as can be attested to by Jehovah’s witnesses who believe and practice those high standards.

Job Opportunities

Then too, what about one of the main reasons people had for going to college—that it prepared one for a better job? Now even that is open to question. Job opportunities for college graduates have never been poorer in many lands.

Placement counselors at colleges report a sharp drop in hiring of graduates by companies. Michigan State’s placement director calls it "the worst job market in the 26-year history of the placement bureau here." And colleges are graduating a record number of students who are competing for fewer openings.

Even those with higher degrees are having trouble. Robert Brocksbank, head of Mobil Oil Corporation’s college recruiting efforts, said: "A lot of guys who went on to business school for that pie in the sky are going to be disappointed this year. A lot of companies are cutting way back on their MBA [master’s degree in business administration] hiring for the first time in years."

Thousands of people with master’s and doctor’s degrees, such as scientists, educators, engineers and corporation executives, have lost their jobs in these times of economic difficulty. "Unemployment among professional and technical workers has soared 67% in the last year," reports The Wall Street Journal. One chemist who had been making $40,000 a year was laid off because of cost cutting. He said: "I’ve written more than 600 letters and have not gotten one firm job offer."

Another problem is that a company hesitates to hire a man they feel is over-qualified for a job. A person with a doctor’s degree, in desperation, may apply for work that pays less. But companies generally shy away from hiring such a person. They feel that he can become dissatisfied easily, and also as soon as he gets an opportunity for a better job he will quit.

Some have not been laid off from highpaying jobs. They have quit. Why? The Wall Street Journal says: "Most men who have let go and stepped off the corporate ladder say any regrets they have are rare, and fleeting. Their disillusionment with their old way of life and work is so strong that it overrides any thought of turning back. That’s true even of those who aren’t sure where they’re going and of those who are struggling to stay solvent."

Yes, just as many students are ‘dropping out’ from the college ‘rat race,’ so, too, many executives are dropping out of the executive or professional ‘rat race’ they entered with such high hopes after college. It has proved to be a sad commentary on the way of life promised by a college education.

Indeed, the disillusionment with the purpose and results of college is so great now that only about one third who enter college ever complete a four-year course. In a "Report on Higher Education" issued at Stanford University in March of 1971 the following was noted: "The majority of dropouts cite dissatisfaction with college and the desire to reconsider personal goals and interest as the major reasons for leaving school. . . . College is failing to capture the attention and engage the enthusiasm of many students. For some, it is a decidedly negative experience."

Other Work

In days gone by, college did help many to find better positions. But times are changing. Many jobs today that do not require a college education pay well. They enable a person to acquire a trade that can be used in many places.

Until recently it was made to seem that a person working with, his hands was not doing dignified work. He was not considered really successful. But many so-called ‘dignified’ college graduates and professional people today wonder where their next meal is coming from, while carpenters, plumbers, clerks, electricians and others who have a trade and work with their hands have jobs. Some garbage collectors are currently making $10,000 a year.

It is no shame for a person to learn a trade and work with his hands. Indeed, these days it is getting to be the practical thing to do. That is another reason why some parents now have second thoughts about this matter of a college education. They choose to channel their boys and girls into more useful trades in high school where such things can be learned, at least in part. After graduating from high school, they may continue briefly in a trade school or get valuable on-the-job training. Then they qualify for a trade and avoid the anguish often suffered in executive-type positions.

Parents who are Jehovah’s witnesses have another very sound reason for channeling their children’s lives into useful trades. They know from fulfilled Bible prophecy that today’s industrial society is near its end. Soon it will be given its death stroke by Almighty God himself. (Prov. 2:20, 21; 1 John 2:17) After that, in God’s new order a reconstruction work will be done to transform this entire earth into a paradise. (Luke 23:43) Trades of many types will be very useful then, as will skills in agriculture and homemaking. So by guiding their children away from the so-called ‘higher’ education of today, these parents spare their children exposure to an increasingly demoralizing atmosphere, and at the same time prepare them for life in a new system as well.

[Picture on page 5]

How beneficial is a college education?

WILL IT REALLY PROVIDE BETTER JOB OPPORTUNITIES?

WILL CAMPUS ASSOCIATIONS IMPROVE YOU MENTALLY AND MORALLY?

• VM44
    VM44
    ...offer short courses in ... auto repair,

Yes, that is who I want working on my car, someone who has taken a short course on how to fix cars. Just the person who will get the job done right!

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Why do the Watchtower articles keep repeating over and over the phrase "working with your hands"?

They overuse it it and it makes them sound affected in some way.

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44
    'Rather than choose academic subjects that are geared toward a university education, parents and children need to consider courses that are useful in pursuing a theocratic career.'

And just what are these "academic subjects" that would not be useful in "pursuing a theocratic career? Do they name them? or are they being vague again as usual?

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

*** Awake! 71 6/8 pp. 3-8 Second Thoughts About a College Education ***

They know from fulfilled Bible prophecy that today’s industrial society is near its end. Soon it will be given its death stroke by Almighty God himself.

This was published 34 years ago. I wonder if whoever wrote it is still alive, or if they have already experienced their own personal "death stroke".

Meanwhile, all those who followed this writer's horrible advice when they were 18 years old are now 52 years old and trying to support theirselfs as best they can.

IDIOT WRITER

--VM44 (who can't stand writers who do not take responsibilty for what they write)

• VM44
    VM44

Here is the article The Watchtower quotes from. --VM44

College isn't for everyone – Education

USA Today (Society for the Advancement of Education), May 2003 by W.J. Reeves

APPROXIMATELY 15,000,000 Americans are enrolled in college, although about half of them probably shouldn't be!

During the junior year of high school, students and, to a greater extent, their parents start to fret about getting the teenager into a college. Most of these students are unable to be admitted to first-rate schools like Williams College or the Ivy League institutions, but they and their parents believe that a college education, from any school, is necessary to succeed in the 21st century. However, Edward E. Gordon reports in an article entitled "Creating Tomorrow's Work Force" (The Futurist, August, 2000) that 70% of the workers in the coming decades will not need a four-year college degree, but, rather, an associate degree from a community college or some type of technical certificate. Thus, moms and dads, who foot the bill, delude themselves that going to any four-year college will make their sons and daughters literate, analytical, culturally aware, technologically advanced, and therefore employable.

In America today, there exists a goal that the majority of the nation's youth should go to college and that access should be the byword for higher education. On the surface, this sounds like a great idea; in reality, it is not.

Access in its most-extreme form--open admissions--was instituted at The City University of New York during the turmoil of the 1960s. Any student who had graduated from high school, with no regard given to grade point average (GPA) and/or the SAT scores, was allowed into one of the CUNY schools. Today, while that policy is officially off the books, many of its aspects remain. CUNY is not alone in its attitude toward access. In every state, midrange colleges exist by some form of easy access, for access=numbers, and low numbers=low funding, and really low numbers=no college. Connected with access is retention, which means that, once inside the college, the students are more or less guaranteed graduation.

An examination of the relationship among access and retention and preparation for the 21st-century workplace is illuminating:

Being there. It is hard to be a productive worker if one appears occasionally, yet token appearances, sometimes just cameos, are tolerated in college. Jennifer Jacobson in "Rookies in the Classroom" (The Chronicle: Career Network, July 18, 2002) details a professor's experience with attendance: "Some of them have amazingly intricate excuses, such as one student who explained that his parent's credit card had been canceled and by the time he'd driven home to get a new card, the bookstore had sold out the texts he'd needed." In the meantime, the student had simply not come to class. One solution to this problem is to use "click-and-brick courses" (classes which combine online and in-class instruction), for being absent online is not possible.

On time. With regard to punctuality, Jacobson's article also tells of a fledgling professor's encounter with a student who arrived late for class with the excuse that she'd been "caught in a traffic jam after visiting a sick grandmother." After she lamented "What was I to do?," the young professor learned after class from another student that the reason for lateness was a lie and that the person being visited was the late-to-class student's "out-of-town boyfriend."

After four years, the bad habits of not being on time and attending sporadically have become second nature. Such habits are unlikely to make for a very productive worker.

Cultural awareness. Most liberal arts colleges tout the virtues of a well-rounded education. Becoming aware of a culture usually involves reading. In my Core Literature class that covers Western and non-Western works, the major problem is the refusal to read the assigned texts.

Teaching can be a lonely profession when the only person in the classroom who has read all of The Scarlet Letter is the professor. In their handbooks, many moderately difficult-to-enter colleges state certain requirements, but many students spend most of their time trying to get around the requirement of reading. Their methods include shortcuts (Cliff Notes) and cheating (buying a paper online about an assigned work of literature). Such evasions of becoming learned are not the hallmark of the well-rounded.

Becoming culturally aware involves change, and change is frightening. Faced with a dilemma in a play, poem, or novel, many students become angry if pressed to offer a point of view. Expansion of vistas is not on their agenda. They want me to provide some notes, which they, or someone, will copy or record, and they expect me to produce a test, which, when graded, will produce a range of grades from A to B+. An article in The Chronicle (July 12, 2002), "Reports of Grade Inflation May Be Inflated," by. Catherine E. Shoichet, states that "one-third of college students receive grades of C or below" and offers this number as evidence to attack the concept of grade inflation. This is skewed reasoning, for those students receiving C's in reality deserve F's, and the C is given to keep them in the college. Further, of what value is a degree with a C average from a mediocre college?

The end result is that students emerge from college with a diploma which the Victorian sage Matthew Arnold would characterize as "The Grand Thing without the Grand Meaning"--i,e., merely a piece of paper.

Literacy. One would expect that, at the very least, colleges would not graduate students whose writing would be generously regarded as poor. One would be wrong.

Learning to write is supposed to be taken seriously. Sean Cavanagh, in an article entitled "Overhauled SAT Could Shake up School Curriculum" (Education Week, July 10, 2002), announces that the SATs will now include a writing test. Such a requirement sounds rigorous, but appearances are deceiving.

At one time, I scored the essay section of the GMAT, the required test for entrance into graduate schools of business where one would acquire an MBA. The test-takers were college graduates from every state and from countries around the world. Fully two-thirds of the essays I scored would not have passed my freshman composition class, yet I was expected to give a score of 4 (Passing) to such writing and, apparently, the graduate schools of business accepted such students. Access again had reared its ugly head. No graduate students=no graduate school.

Diversity. Since diversity is desired, many English-as-a-second-language (ESL) students are admitted to colleges. Once there, they must take an English composition class. In my experience, the majority of these students speak English only when compelled to. They sit in my classes, all together, in self-imposed segregation, speaking in their native language.

Outside the class, at home, and everywhere in their existence, they converse in a language other than English. These students need to spend several years in an adult education program focused on the basics of the English language before applying to an institution of higher learning. Some of these ESL students work quite hard, but lack a basic understanding of the language. There is pressure put on professors to pass on to the world of work college graduates whose grasp of the English language is, to be kind, "shaky."

This is not to say that the ESL students are worse than the homegrown functional illiterates whose command of their own language is less than commanding. During the 1960s, I taught seventh-grade English in an inner-city junior high school. Now, I offer lessons on syntax and diction which I created for that junior high class to my present college classes, and I encounter failure in excess of 50%. Failing more than half of my class at the end of the semester would be asking for a public flogging. A recent case at Temple University, reported by Robin Wilson in her article, "The Teaching Equation Didn't Add Up" (The Chronicle, March 29, 2002), involved a tenured professor of mathematics who was fired for being an "extremely harsh grader" who was "rode" to his students. Another professor at the university remarked that "he noticed that if somebody flunks a lot of people then the administration doesn't like that, and I do what I think will not put me out on the street without a job." Translation? The inmates are running the asylum.

The anti-grammar league. At some point during the last century, it was determined by certain educators that providing an understanding of grammar was not necessary to the teaching of composition. In fact, those professors who do to this very day teach grammar are regarded as dinosaurs. One would be hard-pressed to find any articles advocating instruction in grammar in the two major journals about writing, College English and College Composition.

A colleague of mine told me last year about a set of papers he had saved from his graduate class, written by individuals who were studying to be teachers of English. A reading of these essays exposed errors in verb tense, subject-verb agreement, pronoun usage, run-ons, and fragments, all of which produce incoherence in an essay. Yet, constructing lessons to deal directly with grammar is frowned upon. In my class, the students and I address these errors with grammar exercises as I await the summons from Big Brother to stop such ancient rituals.

Who teaches whom? To capture the attitude of colleges toward the importance of composition, one need only examine the latest survey of academic salaries. In "Law Professors Again Get Top Pay" (The Chronicle of Higher Education, Aug. 12, 2002), Sharon Walsh, quoting from a survey conducted by the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources, states that the lowest salaries in the academic world are paid to professors of English composition. Low salaries reveal a low regard for literacy.

An extended scrutiny reveals another problem with the teaching of composition. When parents dip deeply into their savings to pay tuition bills, they expect their offspring to be taught by real professors. Their expectations will not be met.

Who are the composition teachers? Many of them are adjunct lecturers--i.e., graduate students with no teaching experience whatsoever--and the college pays them a salary slightly lower than a pittance, provides no health benefits, and stuffs staff rooms with as many as 15 adjuncts who meet there with students to discuss corrected essays. During the last 10 years at my school, I've seen the number of adjuncts rise to its present-day level of over 50% in English composition classes. If literacy were considered truly important, one would expect a college to put on its front line the best and brightest faculty (and pay them properly), rather than allow those students that are new to college and in desperate need of composition instruction to be taught by an individual who is marginal to the school.

Parents are not getting much bang for their buck. Their children learn no soft skills and do not become literate or culturally aware. The other values supposedly gained from a traditional, four-year liberal arts education--that such graduates will bring to the marketplace creativity and initiative--are negated by many of my students who are passive and expect me to make the work easy for them. They arrive in class with no questions--and at times with no books--and only grudgingly answer my questions. It would be illuminating for a parent to be a fly on the wall in my classroom and to observe his or her child's performance.

Solutions

What can be done? A college administrator could have the courage to let the word go forth that the college has admission standards and that access does not guarantee graduation. One of the state schools in New Jersey--The College of New Jersey, formerly Trenton State University--did exactly that, transforming itself from a college where admittance was rather easy into a tree institution of higher learning with high admission standards. An initial dip in enrollment occurred, but today the college is listed as one of the top bargains for a quality education in the country.

I would not count on the above scenario sweeping the country. Most administrators keep their ships of education afloat by scrounging for the few dollars that come their way from full-time equivalent students. FTEs are generated by easy access and retention.

A more-practical solution is for parents to find a cheap apartment some distance from the family home, deposit their son or daughter in it, along with the considerable clutter accumulated during a brief lifetime, and secure enrollment in a community college. The teachers at a community college earn a living by teaching. Therefore, the students are more likely to be taught by a full-time, professional teacher.

In addition, community colleges offer training in the technical fields where there are jobs. In the county in New Jersey where I live, students can obtain an associate degree in radiography and get a job. It has been estimated that 1,000,000 workers in the technical fields will be needed in the coming decades. How many job offers will come the way of a graduate of a moderately difficult-to-enter, four-year college with a 2.75 GPA in English, women's studies, or history?

Possibly the best course of action during senior year is to participate in one of the job cooperative programs that link high schools to the world of work. One such initiative at Allentown High School in central New Jersey is entitled the Senior Practicum. It is a for-credit class in which a student explores an interest in the workplace. The program's mission is to create an opportunity for high school seniors to learn to function as responsible, contributing adults. Serving as a rite of passage, it "provides a bridge from the traditional school structure to the self-directed, self-initiated world of adults." Participation in jobs ranging from work in retail sales to positions in a pain management clinic, the local police department, law offices, and architectural firms, students learn what is expected of them by the worth of work. After graduation, some of these students gain employment in the very business where they interned and find out that the employer will pay for their further education. However, the major benefit of such school-to-work programs is the personal growth as teenagers shed their childish ways and take a major step toward becoming adults.

Higher education is very expensive, taxing the resources of the already overtaxed, middle-class family. In addition to the cost, the college years are a moment in time that will never return. Again and again, in my night classes, I encounter adults, now burdened with kids and dead-end jobs, who, 10 years ago, wasted their time in college with adolescent behavior. Now, they tell me, "You know, Prof, if I had just listened to you back then, but I...." I smile and nod and tune them out by repeating to myself the old saw: "If `ifs' and `buts' were ginger and nuts, what a Merry Christmas we'd all have."

The 19th-century novelist, and twice Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli wrote a book entitled The Two Nations which exposed the class gap in Victorian England. In 21 st-century America, there is an education gap. Students with brains who have worked hard in high school can go to the top of the academic food chain and attend an Ivy League school, Stanford University, MIT, or Amherst College. Those students will lead this century. Others can receive a technical education at a local community college that will allow them to earn a good living. In his book, Success Without a College Degree, John T. Murphy reports that 75% of the American populace does not have a college degree, which means that those possessed of other than academic skills can find a way to succeed financially.

Then, there is the great, gray middle. Going to a midrange college is of value only for those students who wish to become educated and accept the fact that attendance, punctuality, and hard work are parts of the process. However, going to a college is an utter waste of time for those students who have emerged from high school neither literate nor numerate, with cultural focuses revolving around hip-hop and body piercing and with zero interest in changing their behavior. Parents should investigate one of the above solutions or invest their hard-earned dollars elsewhere while their offspring find employment in the world of the minimum wage.

W.J. Reeves is professor of English, Brooklyn College of The City University of New York.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

USA TODAY QUOTE:

However, going to a college is an utter waste of time for those students who have emerged from high school neither literate nor numerate, with cultural focuses revolving around hip-hop and body piercing and with zero interest in changing their behavior. Parents should investigate one of the above solutions or invest their hard-earned dollars elsewhere while their offspring find employment in the world of the minimum wage.

That, my friends is the key. The behavioral change is what they are scared of. Once they are OUTSIDE the ORG they will see the folly of it all.

Another quote:

They arrive in class with no questions--and at times with no books--and only grudgingly answer my questions. It would be illuminating for a parent to be a fly on the wall in my classroom and to observe his or her child's performance.

I believe many sincere JW Kids WOULD HAVE questions. That is another thing the Society is scared of. At the very least they would have MORE questions once they learn to identify fallacies in Logic/Debate class, true bible history in WORLD HISTORY or ARCHEOLOGY classes, learn about fossil records and dating methods in SCIENCE class.

-ithinkisee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit