Suitable careers for JW children to aim for!

by Gill 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

Yeah ,ok.You are like thw borg ,you have all the answers!!!Have a crappy day B.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Nope. False. You're wrong. I was a JW till I was 25 and never was told that.

No, you're wrong. I was a JW until I was 45 and I was told that many times. Your lack of experience does not invalidate the experiences of others.

W

• logansrun
    logansrun

stopthepain,

I never said I have all the answers. I only pointed out that you made a generalization which is completely false. You said that JWs are told not to do what they enjoy or make money. That is totalistic thinking and false. If a JW enjoys being a carpenter or nurse they will not be told to give that occupation up simply because they enjoy it. The same is true with money.

My ex-roomate, who is an elder, went to college as a JW and was a graphic designer. He made good money and often told me how he enjoyed design work. He is still a JW, still an elder and is still a pioneer.

Why not try thinking instead of just feeling sometime, stp?

Finally Free,

No, you're wrong. I was a JW until I was 45 and I was told that many times. Your lack of experience does not invalidate the experiences of others.

No, you're wrong about me being wrong. Stopthepain made a terrible overgeneralization as I have pointed out above. Perhaps some members were told by fellow members to not make money or enjoy what they do, but those would be the exceptions to the rule. Witnesses are told to put the Society and "spirituality" before making money or having a career. Period.

Read my advice to stp about thinking and apply.

B

• Dune
    Dune

Gotta agree with logansrun on this. I'm in college and i'm being left alone. They've known since i was in 9th grade that i was going to college.

There are people in the congregation who obviously dont agree with my choice, but i've had more brothers and sisters who agree with my choice encourage me than those that discourage me.

What annoyed me, was this sister asked me "Why not go to bethel?" Right after my first semester. What REALLY bothered me was that she didnt even have the decency to look at me in the face. like what was i supposed to say? I dont want to go to bethel !?!?!

But yeah, no one cares. And sometimes they pretend that they do by asking me how's college going.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

I believe that the single most significant factor in the WTBTS's position against higher education is that one of the primary goals of a four-year (or even a good two year) university program is to acquire critical thinking skills. College curricula in general is aimed not only at acquiring knowledge, but developing your own thoughts and and encouraging discussion about the a huge variety of subjects.

Simply put, the WTBTS simply cannot afford to have any of it's members being exposed to a system that encourages, even demands, that one learn how to think. There's just too much out there to be learned that would expose the Watchtower's tactics for what they are: deliberately phrased, expertly written propoganda designed to keep those who believe it in a position to KEEP believing it.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

They really favor trades schools, or something that could be learned outside of going away to college (4 years).

Although, lately, there's this trend of allowing/encouraging young ones to choose a short career. Going to a close by community college.

The more educated/affluent JWs still do send their children to 4-year colleges, although they try by all means to keep the son/daughter living at home where they can have control.

DY

• JH
    JH

Just the tittle of this thread shows that the end isn't for tomorrow...

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    'Rather than choose academic subjects that are geared toward a university education, parents and children need to consider courses that are useful in pursuing a theocratic career.'

Window washing and janitor-work, you mean? Hm...how many janitors are they gonna need in the 1000year-reign, I wonder.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Read my advice to stp about thinking and apply.

You would do well to apply your own advice, Bradley. The fact that you have not experienced a certain type of treatment does not mean that no one else has. Statements do not become truth or lies by your decree alone. Learn your place.

I suggest you go back and evaluate your history on the boards. You are sounding more and more like a JW apologist. It makes me wonder why you even come here instead of the kingdom hall.

Or do you still attend meetings? You sound like a typical blowhard elder who's in love with the sound of his own voice.

W

• logansrun
    logansrun

Finally Free,

The fact that you have not experienced a certain type of treatment does not mean that no one else has.

I never said it did. All I said was that stp was wrong in his totalistic generalization that "in the cult" (notice, no qualifiers -- this would indicate that all JWs do this and that it is a policy of the society) you are told

1) not to make money (again, no qualifiers -- the truth is that JWs are encouraged not to become overly materialistic; I know plenty of relatively wealthy elders)

2) not to do what you enjoy (probably stp means that JWs are encouraged not to sacrifice Witness pursuits at the expense of personal enjoyments; many JWs enjoy the secular work they do)

All I did was tear down an extremist overgeneralization about the JWs. It was stp that was saying, essentially, "all JWs are like this." That's patently not true. He also engaged in false reasoning about what the Society has actually said about money and secular careers. If someone makes the statment that "all swans are white" all one has to do to refute that argument is find one swan that is not white. I think I've pointed out that there are many "non-white swans" in this argument.

I suggest you go back and evaluate your history on the boards. You are sounding more and more like a JW apologist. It makes me wonder why you even come here instead of the kingdom hall.

Oh, I try and reason about the JWs/ex-JWs and not use emotion and I'm a JW apologist for this? Insanity. I'm an atheist, for crying out loud. Where the JWs are wrong, I would gladly point this out. Where ex-JWs are wrong, I do the same. Obviously, you haven't given up your black-and-white way of looking at the world, have you?

Or do you still attend meetings? You sound like a typical blowhard elder who's in love with the sound of his own voice.

I haven't been to a meeting in over three years. I could care less if the JWs went down the theological toilet. I do like the sound of my own voice, though.

Is that you, Walter? It sounds like it. (Just a guess on my part)

B.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit