Finally broke down and talked to my wife about 607 BC.

by ithinkisee 60 Replies latest members private

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Hey this is great news - I may use the same strategy with my wife

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Very good work Ithink. Very good.

Matt

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I don't pop in here too often at the moment and it was very nice to chance upon your post.

You are doing much better than I did and you can be assured that I will be taking your advice in the future.

Thanks

Chris

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Ithinkisee,

Looks like you're making some real progress with your wife.Good for you man,keep it up.I read your last post on your library research,I used to do the exact same thing...walk in a library and start opening up every encyclopedia or history book to Nebuchadnezzar or Jewish Exile.I also,just like you,never found anything to support 607 bce.

Keep it up buddy,I think you'll succeed with your wife.And this is by far the most interesting story on JWD right now.

Btw,I'd love to have a look at that jewish site please.

Take care and have a nice day!

Goldminer

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

z:
    I'll get the link and post it when I get home tonight.

Everyone else:

Thanks for the support and for all the help. It was only a small discussion last night, but it clearly rattled her. She is a rational person, very sincere, and very sweet. Ultimately it will come down to a point where she will need to make a choice.

The amazing thing is that she hasn't grasped onto the fact that JWs assign different years than the years I gave her on the KISS sheet.

I have a feeling things will get very serious after that.

-ithinkisee

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

thats so good the way you got her to think about things (and getting her flowers very nice touch you obviously love her and care what she thinks thats great)

i started a thread about 607 about 2 months ago on the bit called beliefs and people gave me such good proof about 607 you could maybe use some of it, tho u seem to have done very well anyway.

i hope it goes as well if i can ever talk to any of my family!

keep us posted>

• daystar
    daystar

AK-Jeff

It works to create faith in Jw doctrine, it would also work to create faith that would break one away wouldn't it

c ognitive dissonance - An inconsistency among some experiences, beliefs, attitudes, or feelings. According to dissonance theory, this sets up an unpleasant state that people try to reduce by reinterpreting some part of their experiences to make them consistent with the others.

http://www.wwnorton.com/college/psych/gman5/glossary/C.htm

Cognitive dissonance is a state of being. It is often a state in which opposing paradigms which would normally be in conflict are compartmentalized. This is why so many JWs seem to be two-faced.

Cognitive dissonance is a psychological phenomenon first identified by Leon Festinger. It occurs when there is a discrepancy between what a person believes, knows and values, and persuasive information that calls these into question. The discrepancy causes psychological discomfort, and the mind adjusts to reduce the discrepancy.

http://www.ethicsscoreboard.com/rb_definitions.html

Cognitive dissonance would not "work to create faith that one would break one away". Cognitive dissonance is the disease to be cured first by doubt, then reason and critical thinking skills. I would hop one would not trade one looney-bin for another.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Sounds like everything went well. You were able to discuss the matter as equal adults not argue about it as believer to non-believer.

This is great news.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

The most thing for me at this moment was opening up the dialogue in a peaceful manner. We have had to band together quite closely lately due to some extended family conflict ... so I kind of used our reaffirmed loyalty to each other as an opportunity for me to gently start making her aware of this stuff.

As far as her coming back with a vengeance with JW stuff .... I had mood swings from very angry to very happy to very sad. If she continues to research, she will no doubt go through the same things I (and everyone else) has had to go through getting out.

Again ... thanks for this site that doesn't make me feel like I am crazzy.

-ithinkisee

• daystar
    daystar

Oh, and ithinkisee, good job!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit