• IronGland
    IronGland

"I caught you a delicious bass."

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Tina, you fat lard! Eat the food!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I think whether people "get it" or not is based on the individual person, their sense of humor, the time they grew up in, and whether they like satire, slapstick, or black comedy. I think Napoleon had a bit of all three! What you have to agree on is: you REALLY LOVE IT, or you REALLY HATE IT!

I enjoyed that the movie was somewhat era-free. There was some little details that could have been taken from the 70's, some from the 80's, and some from the 90's. In that way it appealed to different generations of viewers. Unfortunately, I can relate to all three .. heheheh.

The movie was somewhat free of intense emotion, yes, and the characters were somewhat superficial, but that, in a way, made it pretty special! It was a movie that was just there providing humour on the surface, without exploring the dark underworld of teenage angst, which all of us are familiar with. The audience is left dealing with just the surface humor, while not simultaneously exploring motive, plot, etc. We've all been there, and the movie assumed that. While somewhat unreal in the fact that while the popular jocks are picking on him, he didn't ever seem to get upset, he seems to have the wonderful ability to just blow them off and concentrate on on his own personal pursuits. I liked that about Napoleon, he never took it personally! He just keeps on being Napoleon, despite his setbacks, and carries the character through to the end finale.

That there was no plot, is the plot. The movie COULD have been about bad teen love gone good, or good teen love gone bad, but it really was about just friends. Audiences are so used to twisty, windy plots and very expensive dialog. This move was simple, clean, and hilarious in the way that it exemplifies the friendships that people develop whether they are nerdy, smart, athletic, or whatever in high school. It also was funny in the way that Napoleon had so many characters in his family <which all of us have> and we could identify with them. At least I could... <rolls eyes>.

I think Napoleon Dynamite showed a simple-yet intimate and conglomerate, portrait of just the simple life of being a teen, wanting to fit in, but not being able to. It was triumphate in the end, had a lot of good lines, and made me feel good when I came away from seeing it. It showed that even if someone is "different" they still have a wonderful, positive place in the world. I liked the total celebration of difference in this movie.

This movie was very clean, yet funny, which was two thumbs up for me. Sometimes I get tired of watching movies where something has to be sexually suggestive to be funny. I totally loved it...

CG

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    and the characters were somewhat superficial,

They only seem so. If you watch the movie enough, you see much more depth and complexity to the characters.

As for the plot, the plot is that those who seem to be on top or winning, aren't necessarily going to win in the end. And those who seem to be loser geeks and nobodys in highschool and real life can come out on top. This film is also about nice people verses mean people.

• horrible life
    horrible life

I can just imagine the writers of the film reading these deep comments about the film, thinking, WoW, We just couldn't think of anything else to say or do. Hey Dude, are we smart or what. HL

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

GBL

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

That's like a dollar an hour.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    That there was no plot, is the plot.

This is true. But we all loved Seinfeld and that show was about absolutely nothing. Why should this be different right?

I think Napoleon Dynamite showed a simple-yet intimate and conglomerate, portrait of just the simple life of being a teen, wanting to fit in, but not being able to. It was triumphate in the end, had a lot of good lines, and made me feel good when I came away from seeing it. It showed that even if someone is "different" they still have a wonderful, positive place in the world. I liked the total celebration of difference in this movie.

I think this is what I related to so much in the movie. I had such a hard time fitting in as a teenager. My parents always told me to "be myself", but of course as a teen that's so hard to really "get". As an adult I think I can finally understand that not only is it okay to be different, but being different is a celebration. In a world of sameness (especially here in North Dallas!) being different is something to be proud of!

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

"Who's the only one here who knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

GBL

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

"Who's the only one here who knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

GBL

Ah, from the deleted scenes on the DVD. GBL, have you the DVD?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit