BEING SICK IS FOR THE RICH

by Dansk 32 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

Good luck to you. There are lots of people on this forum sending you good vibes/prayers, even complete strangers like me. Hope that is of some comfort.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Hope that is of some comfort.

It is a MAJOR comfort!

Ian

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride
    that to have a serious illness but for which there COULD well be the hope of, at the very least, a remission, one has to be extremely wealthy. In other words, being sick is purely for the rich!

I couldn't have said it better myself. My thoughts, prayers, and energies go out to you and Claire.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Dansk, I'm rooting for you too. I'll bet everyone here is... except for maybe "Scholar" ;)

Continue doing your homework as you look for treatment; between the "well meaning but ineffective" hucksters, and the "in it only for the money" hucksters, there are plenty of, well, hucksters out there. Avoid them so you can concentrate on the effective modalities, whatever that may be.

Cheers!

• JH
    JH

Best wishes to you Ian.

I think that life in general is for the Rich.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Could you describe how the NHS works (is it like medical insurance?) and why it won't pay for this treatment? In the US we all have individual health insurance which can be very expensive. My parents pay $500 combined per month, every month, whether they're sick or not.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    In the US we all have individual health insurance which can be very expensive. My parents pay $500 combined per month, every month, whether they're sick or not.

Um, no. We all do not have individual health insurance. Many companies do not offer it. Or, if they do, the cost is still so high that many of the employees opt not to have it.

Yep, being sick is for the rich. Sometimes even the rich can't afford it.

(((((Ian)))))

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    Many companies do not offer it.

That's why my parents had to go out and get it on their own; they run their own business.

What I meant was that the US government doesn't help the average citizen with health care.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Could you describe how the NHS works (is it like medical insurance?)

Basically, our national health contributions are taken from our wages/salaries each week/month. The charges are set by government and, I believe, the more you earn the more you pay. You cannot refuse to pay as the money is automatically deducted from one's pay. This means that anyone who requires a doctor will get one. Anyone who needs to go into hospital for an operation will get one. Unfortunately, there are some medicines/surgical techniques that, while they may be available privately, are not always available in the NHS. Nevertheless, I think it's a great system because no one is turned away from treatment. The poorest of the poor will never be refused treatment. There are cancer drugs that cost thousands of dollars in the USA but which are available "free" here (free meaning that one has already contributed in some way via their regular monthly/weekly payments). Even people who are unemployed will be treated free of charge. Despite some "failings" I regard the NHS as a British National Treasure. It must never be allowed to disappear.

Ian

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I wish the US had something similar to your NHS. The only way we get deals like that is if our current employer offers a "good" health care plan. Getting it outright is something that few can afford.

I currently have no medical insurance at all. For me to get it at a "discounted" price (because I was displaced by my former job), it would be over $300 per month. That's more than my care payment and auto insurance combined!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit