BEING SICK IS FOR THE RICH

by Dansk 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

Dear All,

Please allow me to vent off a little this morning.

As most of you will already know I have a rare form of cancer - Mantle Cell Lymphoma - for which the prognosis is extremely poor (but there have been some people who have gone a good many years beyond the average). I live in the UK where, not being a person of wealth, I depend heavily on the National Health Service (NHS). To date, the treatment I have received has been first class at the hands of a team of dedicated doctors and nurses. I have no complaints (apart from two idiotic patronising doctors whom I saw in the early days of my consultations - but that's in the past).

As anyone else would do in my situation, one also researches as much as possible for alternative medical procedures - i.e. not wishing to have chemotherapy, which is highly toxic to the body, I wanted to find what else is out there that could help without having to resort to such a dangerous regimen.

I have paid out many hundreds of pounds on homeopathy, vitamins and minerals, herbs, organic and fair trade foods and, most recently, £120.00 consultation fee to a private doctor who offered me nothing that I hadn’t already heard. This morning, in some desperation, because chemotherapy is looking more imminent, I telephoned a well-respected alternative therapy clinic just outside London (I live over 200 miles away in Manchester). The clinic appears to have just what I need and I can be fitted in for a consultation next week for a fee of - £240.00 (the consultation lasts one hour).

Absolutely shocked, I asked what the cost of the treatment would be. For a two week course it amounts to £8,500.00. However, there is no provision to stay over in the clinic so one has to put oneself up in a bed and breakfast hotel. As I am unable to drive myself – and an u naccompanied train journey is out as I can literally be dead on my feet from one moment to the next – I rely on Claire to drive me everywhere, which means she would have to stay over in the B&B also. As you can see, the total cost is highly prohibitive.

Since having this dreadful disease I have realised, through my own research and via the various types of care I’ve already paid for, that to have a serious illness but for which there COULD well be the hope of, at the very least, a remission, one has to be extremely wealthy. In other words, being sick is purely for the rich!

I am absolutely disgusted at how sick people are taken advantage of. We are given hope, only for that hope to be dashed due to exorbitant charges. My beloved Claire, a superintendent chartered physiotherapist, could, if she had a mind to, set up a clinic and charge enormous fees for which the wealthy would pay to be treated. Like me, however, she would rather help ANYONE of ANY means for FREE and she has done this ever since I’ve known her.

I’m not for one moment saying that those who are skilled in a certain field shouldn’t set up a private practise (although I am a staunch supporter of the NHS – because EVERYONE is treated equally) but only that it is immoral to charge beyond a realistic figure. When one is seriously ill one has enough to contemplate without having to try and find monies that, well, are just nigh impossible to find.

I pray with all my heart that I beat this disease and that I can go on to write about the injustices. My heart bleeds for the poorest amongst us, for they have even less hope than I.

The good news is, my illness introduced me to fresh organic foods and I am making a genuine contribution to helping the poor farmers in third-world countries by purchasing fair-trade goods. I have also made superb, long-lasting friends here. THAT, is absolutely priceless!

Thanks for reading.

Love,

Ian

• Xandria
    Xandria

Ian,

I am sorry to hear that this is going on in your life. I know the feeling of total fusteration at those selfish ones in the medical field. Here you have to be practically homeless to recieve Social Security help for disabilities, illnesses, etc.

My husband has a disablity from an auto accident. It is times like these that people should pull together. Perhaps we can put together an Aposto-bake sale or "cake" walk. People any other ideas????

X.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

That is really awful. You must feel utterly frustrated. I wish there was something useful I could say or do.

• under74
    under74

I'm sorry for what you're going through. It amazes me what the health industry gets away with. My brother has diabetes and last month was switching jobs so he ended up having to pay for his insulin and blood testing supplies without insurance. It ended up costing him $750...for what he needs to live!

Anyway, Ian I know you'll beat this.

• talesin
    talesin

BEING SICK IS FOR THE RICH

Speaking from my own situation, I couldn't agree with you more.

t

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Ian I really feel for you. If you feel that the treatment has strong possibilities after the prohibitively expensive consultation then you must consider it no matter what the cost. better to have some debt and be alive and well then the alternative.

I know you weren't asking for financial help and just wanted to vent, but I wanted to say anyway, whilst I can't contribute anything like £8500.00 I would and I'm sure others would want to be able to help - perhaps you could set up a paypal account if you decide that you should go for the treatment. I'm more than happy to send good vibes on the vigils, but I'm more of a believer in practical assistance in these circumstances. So I'm not very well off, but it would be inhuman of me not to think about helping in a small way and not spending the money for a couple of nights on wine and cigarettes.

wishing you all the best

crumpet

• luna2
    luna2

I can only imagine the frustration, Ian. Ugh!

Here you have to be destitute or have health insurance to get free or reduced-cost medical treatment. For many years I did not have health insurance, but I made enough money not to qualify for any sort of subsidized health care. Soooo, I didn't go to the doctor at all. I was pretty sick a couple of times (I'm hunching pneumonia once) and have had some ongoing health problems, but since my only options were to go into debt trying to pay medical bills out of pocket or stay home...I stayed home. I suppose I'm lucky that I didn't get so seriously ill that I couldn't cope on my own.

((Hugs))

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Ian -

I must say I admire your clear-headedness through all this. I hope sincerely that you can find treatment that will get you success in combatting this illness.

I agree with your view of the medical 'business'. In the states there is no state sponsored medical care, so it is all up to the insurance companies to decide if you will live or die, based on what they will or will not pay for. And of course there are high deductibles and co-pays plus continuing premiums to pay too, that make it very difficult if one is out of work due to the illness. Many persons are without medical insurance too, and most health care services will be refused unless, as you say, you are able to pay tremondous fees out of pocket.

Know that we are thinking of you. Please keep us informed as to the choices you make in this matter, and how it is going. Beat this thing,ok?

Jeff

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((Ian))))

Having worked at least in the pharmaceutical industry here in the US, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. The drug companies charge exhorbitant amounts for their product BECAUSE THEY CAN. If you saw the overhead in a pharma company, you'd probably blow a gasket. One manager meeting with 10 people cost close to $25k in one QUARTER. I know because I planned it and that was the budget that I was provided. Not just provided, but expected to fulfill!!! Yes, pharma companies give some of their drugs away on assistance programs, but that's not something they openly advertise. A patient has to do mounds of research and send mounds of paperwork to maybe get approved. By then, they could be getting worse in their health and lose their spirit to continue. The pharma companies count on that. It's sad.

Of course, here in the US, when you have a good enough job that provides health insurance, the majority of those things are covered. But that's the key...IF you have a job that provides health insurance.

Andi

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Glad to know your fighting spirit is alive and well.

It is sad that medical care can be so expensive.

But Ian, please know that the love shown to you by us here on the board, is free of charge. We're here for you.

love

cj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit