How many christian on this db

by gumby 58 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Aaaah, gumbsters. I don't know if I am to go deep or flip with your freakin' questions.

If it is simply a "story" from man as to how to live as did christ, that would make a more believable story to me......but how can you seperate all that was written of him without simply giving your own independent interpretation......and can a person be "content" with a personal observation of how they view Jesus?

How can you separate all that was written of him without simply giving your own independent interpretation? I believe we are condemned to see things differently. I spent a delightful day with my dad yesterday. We reminisced. I told him how I used his life as an example. After several life-changing events (divorce, layoff, death of Myrna), he surprised me with his flexibility, his ability to 'redefine his life'. He growled, "What redefinition? It was always there. Maybe others were trying to define it for me, and when I got my chance..." Now, we're talking about a forty year lifespan here, and I am a direct witness. Even so, my perspective is condemned to be different. I told my dad nevermind, I'm keeping the story the way it is, because it's helped a lot of people.

Can a person be "content" with a personal observation of how they view Jesus? Again, I think we have no choice. We'll do it anyways. It can't hurt to have a noble ideal inspiring us. Believing I am divinely led and that I serve a loving God does make me tread more carefully.
    By christian, I suppose I mean your normal christian which is one who believes Jesus was actually the son of god, sent to the earth, died for mankind, was raised to heaven, and plans on coming back someday.

OK, some of that comes from the bible. Like, as you say, that's the only story we have written down. I don't wonder if the early Christians were better off before the codification, where the oral stories and bits of news were strung together, evolving, as the church matured. As soon as we codified, the Church become rigid.

My Christianity is firmly based on my experience. I believe I called out to God and he answered. I was literally rescued from a horrid future with my abusive first husband. So I cannot deny Christ, as I believe Christ spoke to me. For me, the bible came second. Now, how did I hear of Christ? Of course, I am part of the woof and warp of our society, and the Christian history is embedded in my makeup. It was a handy cultural reference. KNOWING it was a handy cultural reference, does it necessarily make it false?

Big Tex: My own poor opinion is I think Chrisianity is inclusive, rather than exclusive. I think one point Jesus was making was in looking for ways to include people rather than setting up rules and narrow defintions to exclude those who disagreed.

I couldn't agree more. I am on the verge of an epiphany, I feel it, and it has to do with this inclusiveness, that I first learned from Jean Vanier http://www.larche.ca/en/ .

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think ideology must always be tested against life. If the life test fails, the ideology must be challenged. Don't deny what life teaches us.

From the memoirs of Betty Friedan:

"It was always my mandate, my rule that we were creating an ideology for this revolution, and that we were improvising as we went along, but our revolution had to test against life. If it opened life for women and therefore for others, fine. If it didn't, forget it.
  • sinamongurl
    sinamongurl

well.....at first i ignored God altogether....the only way i associated him was with the organization....i have since come to realize that he is separate from the organization and am now trying to get a relationship back with him....i dont know if i consider myself a christian or not....i do have other beliefs that border on new age, astrology, researching past lives, and so on....but the only real command that we was given to us by jesus is "to love your neighbor as yourself" and in that case, since i try to do that....i consider myself a christian....but modified....only because i do have other beliefs unbiblical in nature.....

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

I am a Christian.

I was raised in the JWs. Pioneered went to Bethel. Became inactive and somewhat agnostic for a few years. Finally decided I needed to figure some things out. So I spent hours and years reading theology books and books on Church History. I fell in love with Liturgical Worship in the Lutheran Church I started to attend. Then I started reading the writings of the early Church fathers which helped to fill in much of the gaps that I had when it came to understanding the Bible and Christianity. I flirted around with Eastern Orthodoxy for a while but then discovered the beauty of Christ in his universal family the Catholic Church.

Here is my story if you are interested: http://www.catholicxjw.com/UniversalFamily.html

Jeff S

www.catholicxjw.com

• gumby
  • unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Wow, Gumblitz, that was one swift reply.

Yeah like 4 1/2 years later gumby decides to reply lol. Me? Yeah of course I'm a christian - the only true christian posting here - these others are just faking it to look cool.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I'm an atheist. I suppose it was born of detached logical analysis of bible accounts and examining the same way you would any ancient myth. I see god as a coping mechanism, same with religion, not as a fact. Hope that answers your question. :)

• z
    z

WTF…. where god was at the holocaust? why so much hatred between ppl and worst between other religions where was god when Mao killed 50mil Chinese and so on trough
    History …..Why? Because are we sinner? This is idiotic explanation so we scruffy some of us For the other?, is this god wish? God was invented by primitive ppl to explain nature and after religion become the biggest scum and money making, if you not with us God will kill you and you are sinner. The bible part is history and the other one is just like “The Lord of the Ring” imagination so their you have I’m atheist and proud

Gumbsters I still luv ya (*_*)

• myelaine
    myelaine

You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.

You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:13-16)

love michelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit