How many christian on this db

by gumby 58 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Hi all. I'm a newby here and was wondering the % of christians vs.
    non.Rough estimate fine. I sure like the comradery here for ex"s
    but wonder why so many here leave their belief in god altogether.
    What is it that caused disbelief?

• somebody
    somebody

hiya,gumby

I walked away from the JW movement/group/cult/sect, or whatever one wishes to call it, 21 years ago. I still believe in God. I consider myself an imature Christian.

peace,
    somebody

• hippikon
    hippikon
    christians vs. non

Is that how you see it?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    What is it that caused disbelief?

Please, be honest. Take a guess. That's right, the Bible. It makes not one whit of sense, and we are supposed to believe it is of God?

The WTBTS is just another harmful offshoot of a harmful book. Any "christian" religion that is NOT harmful anymore, is not harmful precisely because they choose not to take the vast majority of the Bible seriously.

In other words, they take the good, and throw away the bad. I don't have a lot of respect for that logic, but I have alot more respect for that than for those who kill themselves and others (spiritually and literally) trying with futility to make sense of non-sense.

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

Well said, 6/9. I agree that the bible is at best a collection of interesting parables and myth, and when taken as such, is not likely to cause much harm. But to take it is true, inspired, and/or authoritative leads to nothing but trouble.

I personally do not believe that there is a God. There may be, but if there is, he isn't doing a very convincing job of making himself known. A real god could have provided some substantial evidence of his existance in the bible, in the form of REAL predictions and truths to be discovered, not the kind of vague, half-baked stuff that the likes of the WBTS can chew like cud over and over again, looking for whatever they want, and justifying the most outlandish claims with out-of-context statements made by people whose own track record is just as dismal.

And, no, I don't consider myself a Christian.

• Flip
    Flip
    ...why so many here leave their belief in god...What is it that caused disbelief?

Although you didn't define your intrepretation of 'god', if you're referring to the one germane to this environment, the WTB&TS, I found the concept to be ultimately destructive towards people and other points of view.

Flip

• Francois
    Francois

The term "Christian" has come to be identifed with unrelenting bloodshed and strife, it means a religion without morals, business without ethics and an un believeable ability to rationalize hatred, and even murder all in the name of God.

And beyond "christian" it seems that the fundamentalist wing of all religions will tear the world apart sooner or late. Think of the fundamentalists causing all the bloodshed in the world now, and of the characteristics they share: fundy christian cults like JWs, and each and every fundy christian religion each willing to kill in the name of God (think of the abortion fanatics); fundamentalist Muslims, willing to blow themselves apart in order to take out a few Jews, and get the reward of a painless death and the services of 78 virgins in paradise at which he will instantly arrive; Hindu fundys against Tamils and Muslims; the Serb christian fundys against the Croat muslim fundys and the other way 'round. And then there are the fundamentalist followers of the religion of Marx and Lenin against fundys of other, less temporal, pursuasions.

If I had to, had to, label myself, I guess I'd choose Taoist, that is Taoism as it was revealed in its original purity by Lao Tsu minus today's funeral magic, ritual, and bullshit.

My $0.02

Francois

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Hi Gumby!

I'm new myself on the db. I left 2years ago. I'm still a Christian. I found all the answers to the things I couldn't fathom as a JW in fairly mainstream Christianity.

Do you have a specific point that you're struggling with or are you just curious about the breakdown %wise off believers/nonbelievers here?

Tell you one thing though. It's fun here isn't it. Mostly friendly regardless of beliefs. I like that. If friendship is dependant on having exactly the same beliefs we should just lock ourselves in a small room and enjoy our own company!

• gumby
    gumby

hippikon

christians vs. non

Is that how you see it?
    I didn't mean..One against the other.I simply meant what was the ratio of believers and non believers (believers being followers of christ)
    Flip

Although you didn't define your intrepretation of 'god', if you're referring to the one germane to this environment.
    I was refering to the God of the bible.

• logical
    logical

I believe in Jah (not jehovah) and Christ and stuff but I cannot call myself a christian cos im evil

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit