How many christian on this db

by gumby 58 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby
    Not to pull a Clinton, but how do you define "Christian"?

Hey BigT....ya damn Bill Clinton actin wannabe! Nice to hear from you buddy.

By christian, I suppose I mean your normal christian which is one who believes Jesus was actually the son of god, sent to the earth, died for mankind, was raised to heaven, and plans on coming back someday.

People who believe differently in my book seem to pick and choose the Jesus they WANT. The story of Jesus comes from the BIBLE only and nowhere else...other than the "lost books of the bible".

If it is simply a "story" from man as to how to live as did christ, that would make a more believable story to me......but how can you seperate all that was written of him without simply giving your own independent interpretation......and can a person be "content" with a personal observation of how they view Jesus?

Gumby

• Warlock
    Warlock

No matter what men say, do, or write, in spite of how I was, or was not treated in the Org., I still believe that Jehovah is the creator and Jesus is his son. Especially after knowing that the other side exists, namely, Satan and the demons.

Warlock

• moanzy
    moanzy

Ya I know Gumby. that name may mean something and it may not. Regardless I still have to live with it.

Moanzy

• luna2
    luna2

Wow, a baby gum thread...what a blast from the past! I was confused until I looked at the date. I forget to do that sometimes. LOL

Warlock...a year ago, I felt as you do now. I've moved further into atheistic outlook since then. The Bible seems too unreliable for me to trust as the ultimate source of info about god. Someday I'll actually make an effort to look into this stuff more. Right now? eh...just not feelin' it.

• gumby
    gumby

Moanzy....I was just teasin you....it's a cute name

Warlock. I felt as you did for a number of years. Hows your re-search coming these days about the bible? Have you ever done any....or do you only read christian type books? I don't mean this in a smartass way either.

Gumby

• Warlock
    Warlock

Honestly, Mr. Gumby, I have not really done any. The info that I have is mainly from the WTS. I know some on this board really get into it, you know, the Greek and all that stuff. I was never into that, I mean I was truly a "baaaaaaaaa".

I always had faith the Bible was the word of god. So basically, I think that even if it turns out to be, that the Bible is not really the word of god, he must exist, because, like I said, I know Satan and the demons exist.

Warlock

• gumby
    gumby
    always had faith the Bible was the word of god. So basically, I think that even if it turns out to be, that the Bible is not really the word of god, he must exist, because, like I said, I know Satan and the demons exist.

Warlock.....how do you KNOW Satan and Demons exist? Do you really know?

I don't know that god exists, but I believe something put us here higher than we ourselves. I might be wrong too.

I do see your point though. I always thought if I could just see, hear, or feel a true ghost or spirit, it would strengthen my belief in an afterlife/god...something. So far I have not

* prays to jehovah he don't see no damn demons*

Gum-scared-e-kat

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi Gumby,

here is what I now believe since leaving the Tower,

I am still a believer in the Christian faith, meaning God, Jesus and the Bilble. But I no longer believe in established religious institutions and their own interpretations of God, Jesus and the Bible.

I believe God has called us to be free in him and his son only. And gave us the bible to guide us but not to dictate every move we make in every situation in our lives. Many of the principles in the bible are good but the main message is God's grace which is the message that has been trampled on now for centuries. The established religions have replaced this with their views and have made God's word invalid with all their false teachings, twisting of text out of contexts, traditions, dogmas, man made doctrines and teachings of works for your salvation, in addition to using scare tactics to keep everyone in line. i.e. hellfire or second death. I cannot blame them after all, if they teach you the real truth that you do not need them to interpret every lettter of the Bible and teach you about God's message of Grace and salvation for all - they would no longer be in business.

Therefore, although I can feel free to fellowship with Christians in all denominations, absolutely none of these denominations will own me ever again. And I do not recognize any of them as having any authority over me or any other ones of Christ's people, the Church. Church simply meaning the body of believers or people only and not religious affiliation.

Here is my favorite quote which I have hung in my home and I stand by it as being true to this day, I have quoted it on this forum many times but here it is again:

"Beware of Organizations, they are wholly unnescessary" - Charles T. Russell, taken from a WT 1879

Charles said this in reference to religious organizations. Amen Charles. But isn't it kind of ironic today seeing what a Monster the WT turned into?

Hope this answers your question is some small way. Lilly

• Warlock
    Warlock

Mr. Gumby, just to make a long story short, I know they exist, because, I know some who have called them, and their calls were answered. I have had some encounters with them. You have every reason to be a scaredy kat. That is one door you don't want to open, because you will not be able to close it. Now, if someone you know, or come into contact with has opened it, that's a different story. By the way, I'm a scaredy kat, also!

Warlock

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    By christian, I suppose I mean your normal christian which is one who believes Jesus was actually the son of god, sent to the earth, died for mankind, was raised to heaven, and plans on coming back someday.

People who believe differently in my book seem to pick and choose the Jesus they WANT. The story of Jesus comes from the BIBLE only and nowhere else...other than the "lost books of the bible".

Back atcha Mr. Gumby.

If that's the definition, then maybe I come close. If I had to say, then yes I'd probably choose to believe that Jesus was divine and died for humanity's sins. At the same time, I'm very open to the idea that we don't know everything. The Bible was put together by a committee 300 years later; doesn't sound like Holy Spirit to me. Literal interpretation and following of the Bible (or the Quran for that matter) leads to bizarre and aberrant behavior. Again, I won't follow someone else's rules and interpretations again. If God demands that of me, then I demand a burning bush, parting of the clouds and a lot of explanations first.

I don't buy into the Da Vinci Code nonsense, but in my mind it is possible for Jesus to have been an ordinary man who spread a visionary message. Not unlike Buddha, or Gandhi or even King. If so, then it is also possible for him to have ordinary male desires, such as the need for a wife and family. Who knows now 2,000 years later?

Either way, I choose to believe such details are unimportant to the basic message Jesus taught: love God and love your neighbor as yourself. I truly believe if we focus on those two teachings, we have enough to know what a Power greater than ourselves wants for us. I also believe if we followed those two teachings many, if not all, of humanity's problems would be solved. But then, most Christians would say that if I doubt Jesus' divinity, or ransom sacrifice, et al, I'm not a Christian. So what do I know?

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit