"Please wrap me in a Roman Toga" - Russell's Last Words?

by slimboyfat 55 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I had never heard this before, but according to Royston Pike those were Russell's last words. Can anyone verify this, or show where this story comes from?

• minimus
    minimus

No....Russell's last words were, "I think we should call this thing----Jehovah's Witnesses. Yeah, that's the ticket".....and then he passed on to his heavenly reward.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Amazing - last thing he thought of was going to a fancy dress party.....found this - http://www.clpgh.org/exhibit/neighborhoods/northside/nor_n107.html Jehovah's Witnesses, Center of Flag Rows, Born in Pittsburgh.On a train that rumbled over a Texas prairie on a fall day in 1916 a gray-haired man collapsed of a heart attack.
    To a group that gathered round him, he murmured:
    "Please wrap me in a Roman toga."
    Hurried orders brought a wide-eyed porter with a sheet snatched from a berth and careful hands folded it about the prostrate figure.
    Then death rattled in the stricken man's throat and he was still.

• minimus
    minimus

I think we all should give slimboyfat what we heard his last words were. What do ya say??

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    "Whatever you do, don't let that Rutherfraud take over the joint"

That is what some BS apostates assume were his dying sentiments.

• greendawn
    greendawn

That is a fact he did want to get dressed in a tonga after dying on a train, from a heart attack if I remember well. I don't know why but strangely he did also want a pyramid placed by his grave with masonic symbols on it. Someone telegraphed Rutherford "the old man has died".

• minimus
    minimus

He said, "Tell my maid I won't be getting my bath tonight".

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Hurried orders brought a wide-eyed porter with a sheet snatched from a berth and careful hands folded it about the prostrate figure.

....and credit where it's due, that's jolly good service for an Inter-City away-day saver.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

......last time I went on a train, I couldn't even get a Coca-Cola, let alone a toga.....but on the PLUS side, I did get to use my return ticket.

• Seven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit