Discipline or Child Abuse?

by Dimples 36 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• greendawn
    greendawn

It is obviously wrong to expect little children to relate to and be able to understand what is being said at the jw meetings, here even adults get bored to death by the tripe that comes out of there, let alone children. It shows how narrow minded and extremist the jws are by punishing them for not concentrating.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    there is nothing wrong with spanking, plain and simple. Children are inherently selfish, and this quality must be removed.

Adults too. A punch in the face will stop someone being selfish. They'll thank you for it later.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Expecting a child to sit still for two hours during a meeting - and for longer at an Assembly - is straight out insanity!

And as for belting them for not sitting still .....unimaginable stupidity.

All I can say is no wonder most JW youth give the whole thing away just as soon as they are able to.

• talesin
    talesin
    To be honest a little smack isn't going to cause any long term

slh,

I strongly disagree. No disrespect intended, but no. funky, as usual, you are spot on!

xo

t

• talesin
    talesin

slh,

I admit, I have an advantage. I am old enough to have seen my friends' kids grow up ... the ones who were never spanked ... are doing much better.

nuff said!

t

• Farkel
  • talesin
    talesin

Farkel,

t/y ;)

t

• Dimples
    Dimples

Thanks for all of your comments and thanks so much for the good advice Tal.

DIMPLES

• Ellie
    Ellie

I was spanked as a child, well no, spanked is too soft a word to use, I was beaten as a child, and I really don't think it did any good, it just made me resent my parents and their stupid rules.

I have a 2 year old daughter now, I have in the past given her a tap on the leg or on the hand but I hated myself for doing it, and it didn't make her behave either.

I've been reading a couple of self help books on how to discipline kids and I've discovered the 'ignore bad behaviour, reward good behaviour' technique, its working brilliantly, my little girl is happy and so am I, I don't need to feel guilty anymore and I dont even need to shout much.

I really can't stand people who think its ok to assault their kids, what good do they think its going to do?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I was spanked beaten as a child by my JW mother...not at the Kingdom Hall though it was at home afterward...where nobody would be looking or listening...the torture for me is that she would whisper at the meeting...'thats one smack when you get home' each time I stepped out of line which included whispering to her because I didnt understand the fuckwit on the platform...me being 7 or 8 years old would sometimes think...'in for a penny in for a pound' and used to notch it upto at least 5 or 6 smacks to await me before bed.

The dread I used to feel was horrendous....it didnt stop there...we used to go upto Cumbria for summer holidays and stayed with another JW family who used to use a stick with their kids...Mum thought that would be a cool idea too and quickly found one from the garden...so it was hands, sticks and spoons....what an intelligent way to discipline children.

My mother feels regret for all that and so she should...we are much more intelligent these days than to resort to violence and my children will certainly NEVER feel the back of my hand unless it is out of love and affection.

Discipline and Abuse are not coterminous they are very different...spanking and abuse however are....

DB74

PS Great job Ellie for having the humility to read a book about this subject!

That is where many parents fall down...they think they know it all because 'a good crack round the legs never did me any harm' well guess what? If you think that way as a parent 'a good crack' has done you all the harm in the world because you are content to carry on abusing your children.

Abuse often breeds Abuse

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit