Are You For or Against The Death Penalty?

by minimus 264 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    Pope said: it's illogical to me to punish a person, say a murderer, with the same treatment as the crime as he committed...if killing someone is a CRIME, then how can it be logical to kill someone as the PUNISHMENT?

It's called "justice". You murder someone in cold blood and you should have to forfeit with your own life.

If someone commits robbery, should the state then rob his house as punishment?

OK, let's take the Enron executives that robbed thousands of people of their livlihood, their hopes and their retirement. The guys responsible should be stripped of everything: their homes, all their material possessions their bank accounts---everything should be "stolen", I mean "seized" and distributed to those that they stole from. If some guy commits robbery and say, steals $1,000 worth of stuff, forget sending him to prison, cause that rarely does any good. I say they should have to work off 10 times what they stole in good old fashioned labour. Makes perfect sense to me.!

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Mary

what about rape? What should be the punishment for that?

I just think if something is a crime then the state shouldn't commit a crime as punishment. Justice shouldn't be revenge.

Just my $0.02 worth.........

Pope

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    I'm suprised that sixsixsixtynine feels the way he does coming from Texas.

Well I'm originally from Seattle, and now live Austin, which is much different than the rest of Texas.

Hope that clarifies things a little.

FUN FACT: Since reinstituting the death penalty in 1976, the US has executed 973 people. 345 of those were in Texas!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    what about rape? What should be the punishment for that?

Castration. Humanely done, of course...

J

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

death is a deterrent to many criminals. however, it's a primitive deterrent. eye for an eye, is a nomadic sheep herder god's solution. we're past that. it's time to throw that sort of mentality to the ground. this is the same sort of mentality that spawns vendetta killings and genocides. you can't condone capital punishment, and rail against genocide. they both come from the same evolutionary neural patterns.

the simple fact is that homo sapiens have been killing each other for a long time. but this killing is based on ignorance and fear. no homo sapien has the "right" to take the life of another. it goes both ways. are murderers criminals? obviously yes. do they deserve death, probably. do we have the right to kill them? no. do we have the right to restrain them? yes. do they have the right to kill themselves? yes.

i don't pay taxes so that my government can behave like a bunch of isrealites and judeans. i pay taxes so that they can promote and uphold civilization. restraint and rehab are civil and noble. death punishment is paleolithic.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Tetrapak,

that's a valid point : do they deserve death? probably. But no other human has the right to take their life.

That's where I am coming from.......let's move beyond killing, it's time.

Pope

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Depending on the severity of the crime! "Gross Crime" - Yes. We haven't had the death penalty in S.A for quite some time. I do know that there are some that want to bring it back.

What irks me is that these men/women that committ crimes, are clothed & fed, are taught trades, are educated. Sure it's all behind bars, but many are living better lives in prison than many walking the streets. And with corruption in the prisons, many get away with many more crimes.

• Mary
    Mary
    Pope asked: Mary, what about rape? What should be the punishment for that?

Castration.

Actually, what I'd really like to see, is morals being taught in school (and at home) to kids. I saw a curriculum for grade 8 students the other week. Plenty of subjects on how computers work but virtually nothing on human relations. Our children need to be taught throughout school the difference between right and wrong, self-discipline, managing finances and parenting skills.

The last two (managing finances and parenting skills) could go a LONG way in preventing alot of the misery that's in the world today. People getting credit cards and ringing them up to the max; never being taught about sacrifice, or saving enough for a purchase..........and if people were taught parenting skills from say grade 8 till they finished high school, it might go a long way in preventing crimes. Humans enter into the most important job they'll ever have---parenting---with absolutely no training! It's a well known fact that if a child is raised in a normal, stable environment with loving parents who teach them right from wrong, they'll generally do much better in life and probably won't commit crimes, than a person who's raised in an abusive, negligent environment.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

If there is no doubt

you ought to be joking, right?

Tetrapak

LOL

on topic: i'm against. of course i am against it. and i'd sign tetrapod's post anytime.

what i'd like to know is, how high the percentage of religious people on the supporters side is.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

a paper i wrotw for school:

Imagine, for a moment, that someone you love was murdered. In cold blood, a complete stranger ripped their life from them, taking away something you loved. Would you want them to go to a place full of their peers, where they would be honored for their deed? Would you want them to have free room and board indefinitely? Would you want them to push a mop around for a few hours, and then get to go play basketball or exercise? Would you want them to get three free, hot meals a day- just for waking up- when you have to go to work daily and toil to no avail? Of course not.

The death penalty is a viable way to make our society stronger and safer. Those who commit crimes against humanity will be removed from humanity, instead of being sent off to live somewhere else. In most cases, the death penalty is a clear solution to the heinous acts we see around us today. While the death penalty is currently in place in most states, I ask that it be imposed universally, with quick, strong, decisive action against those found deserving.

Of those who argue against the death penalty- only one strong argument prevails: Prisoner Reformation. Perhaps true reform could put it in end to criminals and crime. Statistics show, however, that it is seldom effective.

The US Department of Justice says that of those on death row in 2003, 2 in 3 had a prior felony conviction. Had they been removed from society permanently on the first conviction, they would have never been able to hurt anyone else. Even more shocking is this: Of those on death row in 2003, 10 in 12 had a prior homicide conviction. Surely, quick decisive action could have stopped all these second and third string crimes. Sometimes a lesson cannot be taught, but rather a principle must be learned. Not only would wider use of the death penalty quickly eliminate many of the threats from today's society, it would be a lesson to all those who have knowledge of the situation. If they knew their own death was imminent, the majority of criminals would never pull the trigger.

In today's America, for every 100,000 citizens, 482 sit in prison. Even with the currently lax standards on the sentencing of the death penalty, 3,374 sit on death row. While it is better for them to be partially removed from society, consider that most are serving no more than a few years in prison, after which they will be released to go and resume the life they left. This cycle will only spiral modern society downwards, instead of the upward spiral we all desire.

Not only are serious, hardened criminals a threat to society, they are also a financial damper. The average inmate living cost is $30,100 a year. This comes out of everyone's pocket- including the victims. The average execution only costs a mere $1700. That means that the 3,374 criminals sitting on death row could all be executed with the money it costs for 185 criminals to live. Surely this would be much less of a strain on taxpayer's wallets.

Not only are most serious criminals repeat offenders, they are all also a constant threat, and a constant cost. If we eliminate these types of people, not only will we no longer live in fear- but we will also send a strong message to those contemplating following a course of crime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit